Monday 22 November 2021

That’s Silly












[TARDIS]
In The Doctor’s Study console room, 
Leela is playing with The Doctor's yo-yo, 
and doing it quite well.

LEELA
Doctor? 


Tom
Hmm? 


LEELA
Can I stop now? 


Tom
If you want to. 


LEELA
It will not affect This? 


Tom
Affect this? No, it's a yo-yo. 
It's A Game, I thought you were enjoying it. 


Leela drops the yo-yo.

LEELA
Enjoying it?!
You said I had to keep it 
going up and down,
I thought it was 
part of The Magic. 


Tom
Magic, Leela? Magic? 


LEELA
I know, I know —
There's no such thing as Magic. 


Tom
Exactly. To The Rational Mind nothing is inexplicable
only unexplained. 


LEELA
So, explain to me how this ‘TARDIS’ 
is larger on the inside than the out.

 Tom
Hmm? All right, I'll show you. 
It's because insides and outsides 
are not in the same dimension. 


The Doctor gets two boxes from a cupboard.

Tom
Which Box is Larger? 


LEELA
That one. 


The Doctor places it on the time console then goes over to Leela with The Other.

Tom
Now which one is larger? 


LEELA
(pointing away)
That one. 


Tom
But it looks smaller. 


LEELA
Well, that's because 
it's further away. 


Tom
Exactly. If you could 
keep that exactly 
that distance away 
and have it here,
The Larger One would fit 
inside The Smaller One. 

LEELA
….that's silly. 



Tom
That's transdimensional engineering, a key Time Lord discovery. 


(The TARDIS materialises.) 


Tom
This is the exciting bit. 


LEELA: 
What's exciting? 


Tom : 
Seeing what's outside. 


(The scanner shows that what's outside are metal walls and a sandy floor.) 


Tom
I don't…. It's metal
We've landed inside something metal. 


LEELA
But how can we? 
How can The TARDIS be inside something metal? 


Tom
One box inside another, 
I just explained it to you. 


LEELA
No, not very clearly. 


Tom
Well, it's a rather dull subject anyway. 
I wonder where we are? 


LEELA
You mean you don't know? 


Tom
Well, not precisely, no. 


LEELA
You mean you can't control this machine? 


Tom :
 Well, of course I can control it. 
Nine times out of ten. 
Well, seven times out of ten….
Five times. 

Look. Never mind, 
let's see where you are. 






(Leela picks up the Tesh Energy weapon.)
 

Tom
You won't need that. 


LEELA
How do you know? 


Tom
I never carry weapons. 
If people see you mean them no harm, 
they’ll never hurt you. 


….Nine times out of ten. 


(Leela has her knife drawn as she leaves the TARDIS.)





No comments:

Post a Comment