Thursday 4 November 2021

Kazon Trophy Room




[Shuttlecraft]
(Kar wakes to find his hands tied behind his back.) 

KAR
What am I doing here?

CHAKOTAY
You're Welcome.

KAR
What?

CHAKOTAY
It's a human expression. 
You Thank Me 
for Saving Your Life
I say, “You're Welcome.” 
I accept your surrender. 

Look, I promise you, as soon as we get back to Voyager, 
we'll find a Kazon ship and hand you over to them.

KAR
You should've let me die.

CHAKOTAY
I'm not in the habit of 
Killing Children.

COMPUTER
Warning. 
Alien vessel approaching at 
zero two two mark eight.

CHAKOTAY
What's Your Name, son?

KAR
What?

CHAKOTAY
Your Name.

KAR
Why do you want to 
know My Name?

CHAKOTAY
I want to let them know 
you're on board.

KAR
I'm called Kar.

CHAKOTAY
Computer, open a channel. 

Kazon vessel, I have A Young Man on board you might know. 
He goes by the name of Kar
I'd say he's about thirteen. 

I'd like to arrange for his transfer before I return to My Ship. 

Computer, confirm channel is open.

COMPUTER
Confirmed. 
Transmission has been received.

CHAKOTAY
Talk to them. 
Tell them you're okay.

COMPUTER
Warning. 
Kazon vessel has engaged 
a tractor beam.

CHAKOTAY
Full reverse.

COMPUTER
Unable to comply. 
Tractor force exceeds available engine power.

CHAKOTAY
They're pulling us in.


KAR
Kill me. Please.

CHAKOTAY
Why are you so eager for me to kill you?


KAR
Because there are worse things 
than being killed by Your Enemy. 

(The tiny shuttlecraft is dragged into the massive Kazon ship.)

[Kazon trophy room]

(Chakotay and Kar are thrown into an area hung with skins and trophies.) 

CHAKOTAY
Look. If you check your long-range sensors, you'll find a big ship out there. 
It's called Voyager, and by now it's on its way to find me.

HALIZ
Kar, I told Razik you weren't ready.

CHAKOTAY
I have a fair idea why I'm here, 
but why are they doing this to you?

KAR
I was ready, Haliz, ready to Kill or Die. 
I felt the flames touch my skin.

HALIZ
Go back in, Kar.

KAR
It was this fool, this Federation, 
who doesn't even have the courage to kill his enemies. 

He pulled me out with that transporter we've heard about. 

Like the Nistrim and the Relora before you, you come into Our Space, 
showing off your uniforms and displaying the markings of your Federation with no respect, 
as if you own this part of space. 

But it belongs to us! 

I tried to kill him, Haliz. 

(Haliz knocks Kar down.) 

KAR
I want to see Razik. 
Tell Razik I demand to see him.

CHAKOTAY
Who's Razik? 
You tell this Razik that 
Federation Commander Chakotay 
demands to see him.

KAR
What are you doing?

CHAKOTAY
Razik is obviously Your Leader. 
I'm hoping if he's strong enough to be in command, 
he's wise enough to listen to reason.

(Kar shows Chakotay a piece of metal on display.

KAR
You see this? 
This is debris from a Nistrim frigate. 
The Man you are demanding to see destroyed it
killing more than one hundred in a single shot. 

Before that, His Name was only Ra
Now he is called Jal Razik. 

And this tunic belonged to a Relora warrior. 
He was killed by the bare hands of another Ogla, 
called only Hali

Now that man is called Jal Haliz
one of our greatest fighters. 

And this bracelet belonged to the man 
who killed My Brother, 
My Brother, Jal Kanal, 
who earned his Ogla name 
by dying bravely in battle. 

But I, I will never earn My Name 
in Life or in Death,
 and I have you to thank for that.

[Kazon trophy room]

RAZIK
Hello, Kar. I never thought I would see you like this.

KAR
It was not my fault. 
It was his technology! 

RAZIK
Don't make excuses, Kar. 
An Ogla has no room for excuses.

KAR: 
No. No excuses.

RAZIK
I forgive you. 
Know that in your heart.

KAR: 
No. Please.

(Razik kisses Kar, who bursts into tears.

RAZIK
You will eat at my right hand tonight. 
Why did you save him? 
It's a very ineffective way of waging war.

CHAKOTAY
I'm not at war with you.

RAZIK
I wish I could say the same.

CHAKOTAY
We're not familiar with this part of space. 
If I'd seen a map identifying this as Kazon-Ogla territory, 
I wouldn't have been anywhere near it.

RAZIK
Unfortunately, our territorial claims change every day
Maps do not serve us well. 
You did him a great disservice, you know.

CHAKOTAY
I guess if he had killed me, my uniform 
would've made you all a fine trophy.

RAZIK
Your uniform may yet decorate our wall. 

You may not think you're at war with us, 
Federation Commander Chakotay, 
but everything you are is a threat to us

The Kazon fought long and hard 
for their independence 
from uniforms like yours.

CHAKOTAY
Uniforms maybe, 
but not like mine.

RAZIK
Your uniforms, your laws, your technology. 
You are not welcome here. Get him something to eat. 
The execution is tonight.

[Kazon trophy room]
(Haliz brings other young Kazon with him.) 

CHAKOTAY
You get them involved young, Haliz.

HALIZ
As soon as they're old enough to protect 
their younger siblings.

CHAKOTAY
So they brought you here to see your first human. 
Take a good look. You won't see any hate in my eyes. 
I'm a gentle man from a gentle people 
who wish you no harm.

RAZIK
That's enough!

CHAKOTAY
I know you'd like them to hate me, Razik, 
but I want their first impression of humans to be a good one.

RAZIK
You've been brought here to learn 
what it means to be a Kazon male. 

You all know Kar. 
You've learned to fight together, haven't you? 

Kar was sent to kill this man 
to earn His Ogla Name. 

But Kar failed, 
and will not earn his name 
even in Death

Who would be willing to kill the human? 

(All the boys reach for the proffered weapon.

RAZIK: 
So much for first impressions, Federation. 
I'm proud of you. Each will get your chance someday. 

But that's not what we're here for today. 
We are here to learn 
the price of failure in battle. 

(Razik holds the weapon out to Chakotay.

RAZIK
Take it.

CHAKOTAY: 
What for?

RAZIK
So that you can kill Kar, 
as you should have done in battle.

CHAKOTAY
You want me to Kill A Child 
in front of other children? 

What would it accomplish?

RAZIK
It will teach these little boys an important lesson. 
And after you do that, you'll be free to go. 

You may think I want your friend Kar to die 
but you'd be wrong

I've seen too many Ogla die 
at the hands of Our Enemies. 

That is why they must learn 
there are no second chances in battle. 

That is why Kar must die.

CHAKOTAY
If I refuse? 

(No answer. The weapon drops to the floor. Chakotay bends to pick it up, attacks Razik and gets him on his knees with arms pinned behind his back. He holds the weapon to the leader's head.

CHAKOTAY
I'll be needing my shuttle back.

HALIZ
Do you really think you can escape us in that little vessel of yours?

CHAKOTAY
That's a chance I'm willing to take. 
What about you?

RAZIK
Let The Coward run. Prepare his shuttle.

CHAKOTAY
Want to come? There doesn't seem to be 
much of A Future for you here.

HALIZ
He'd rather die than run like a Calogan dog 
with you, Federation.

(So Kar hits him and takes his gun.)

KAR
If I stay here, 
I'll die without A Name. 

And Razik taught me 
only cowards die without A Name.

RAZIK
You won't find Your Name running after The Federation, Kar.

KAR
Maybe not, but that's a chance I'm willing to take. 
I'll show you how to disable the weapons systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment