Saturday 6 November 2021

Calumet


How'd You Like Some Ice-cream, Doc?


“ The Poster that came out 
in Europe, at least in 
England, I believe, 
before The Movie was released in Europe said, 
"The Wave of Terror 
that swept across America." 

And Kubrick controlled 
The Posters very carefully

Now, it made you do a double take. 
I remember seeing it in Europe. 
I was the Rome Bureau Chief at the time for ABC News. 

And I remember looking at it. 
It said, 
"The Wave of Terror that 
swept across America." 

What's he talking about? 

And you'd sort of think that 
he was talking about 
the impact of The Book, 
The Shining. Maybe

The impact of The Movie 
that had just opened 
over there? Maybe

It didn't quite fit. 

The Wave of Terror 
that swept across America 
from Portland, Maine, 
to Portland, Oregon, 
was the genocidal armies and 
The White Men with Their Axe 
clearing it all and bringing in extractive industries, 
among many other 
good things as well. 

But that was The Wave of Terror that swept across America
terrifying, of course
The American Indians. 

I went in to see this movie in Leicester Square Movie Theatre, right near Leicester Square 
in London. 
And I remember it 
quite clearly from... 
I can even remember 
the seats we were sitting in. 

If I went back to that theater, 
I could point them to you, sort of near the back and over to the left. 

From the moment of 
the opening astonishing 
helicopter shot, 
I was terrified
I had no idea what 
was coming. 

I remember sort of sitting 
on the front edge of my theater seat there 
to keep from falling off. 

And I remember gripping my belt buckle with my left hand, I think it was... 
yes, my left hand, sort of to keep from falling off the edge of the seat 
and to try to Control My Terror 
as I watched this movie. 

I had no idea 
what was coming. 

I hadn't read The Book. 
I had barely seen any of the posters. 

And I remember that I was stunned when the movie was over. 

We left the theater, went in... 
down into our underground car park 
to get into the car to leave. 
And as we were driving up 
out of the car park, 
I was sitting in the back left seat. 

I was thinking, 
“What was that?”
“What was that?”
“What was it?”
“What was it?”
“What was it?”

And I think 
my visual imagination looked at that 
Calumet baking powder can
the one right behind Hallorann's head 
when he was talking to Danny. 

I knew what "calumet" meant. 
It meant "peace pipe." 

And I thought to myself, 
“Peace pipe, Indians —
Oh, my goodness, 
they're all over the place 
in that movie.”


‘The Loser has to 
keep America clean.’

And I suddenly said to my friends, 
"That movie was about the genocide 
of the American Indians." 

And they said, 
"What are you talking about?" 

And I started explaining it, because I'd noticed the Calumet baking soda can. 

In the first... the first time 
we seen one, it's 
a single baking powder can 
straight on. 

And you can see the whole word, "Calumet," so there's no duplicity, like the little girls represent later. 

This is an honest truth, an honest peace pipe between them. 

The other time we see the Calumet baking powder cans is when they're very carefully placed behind Jack Nicholson's head when he's talking to Grady. 

‘No need to rub it in, Mr. Grady. 
I'll deal with that situation as soon as I get out of here.’

 There's about six or seven of them stacked up, and they're all turned different ways, 
and you can't read any one 
of them completely. 

It's... I've always 
interpreted those 
as being broken, dishonest 
peace pipe treaties. 

They're not... 
These Two Guys, 
Grady and Jack, 
are not being honest 
with each other. 

Grady is trying to get Jack 
to go Kill His Family 
and commit Genocide
in the larger sense of the movie. 

You know, I mean, 
Kubrick often, 
in many of his movies, 
he will end them with a puzzle so that he forces you to go out of the theater saying, 

"What was that about?" 

And he would put things in the scenes that he knows will be, 
among other things, like confirmers when people start to try to figure out what the movie is about. 

And we know he took 
this kind of care

There's a photograph in one of the books that actually shows 
Kubrick carefully arranging objects on the shelves 
in that dry goods room. 

I thought afterwards, 
"How come I saw this 
and a lot of other people didn't?" 

And I've thought about it. 
It's a combination of factors

First, I grew up in Chicago 
and, therefore, 
just north of 
The Calumet Harbor 
and spent summers up 
in the sand dunes of Michigan, 
around on the other side 
of Lake Michigan. 

My Father took me and my sister out to collect little bits of Indian pottery. 

I'd already... I'd already covered, at that point in 1980, five years of the Lebanese civil war. 

I was, at that point, 
covering John Paul II. 
I was the Rome Bureau Chief. 
And listening to what 
he was saying about... 

Because he had experienced 
The Holocaust at its epicenter 
and also other horrors. 

And so all of those factors were very much alive in my mind 
when we went to see The Shining, 
which I just thought was going to be 
some kind of horror movie 
by this great moviemaker. 

And all of those coming together along with the little key, 
the Calumet baking soda can
is why I just happened to tune to it as we were driving up out of that underground parking garage just off Leicester Square.”


“I first saw the movie in 1980 
when it first came out and saw it probably two times. 

I can say that I remembered 
the skier poster. 

That is one thing that really stuck with me. 
And The Window
The Window in The Office, 
that's another thing 
that really stuck with me. 

I remember, you know, in the newspapers afterwards, 
people being disappointed

And I remember people that I knew, 
yes, in dialogue afterwards, 
being disappointed that 
it was not more 
a horror film. 

Well, no Kubrick film's really 
just a regular movie. 

I understood that from, well, when I was 10 years old and I first saw 2001. I walked away. I thought, "This is a film that's supposed to make me think." 

I had my first 
religious experience 
seeing the film 
2001: A Space Odyssey 
in 1968.

No comments:

Post a Comment