Tuesday 30 November 2021

Jack is Not Working






The throwing around of the tennis ball inside the Overlook Hotel was Jack Nicholson's idea. 

The script originally only specified that
"Jack is Not Working."




Dan, alcoholic.

ALL: Hi, Dan.

DAN: 
I'm not much of a speech guy.

I just thought I'd hold the chip and talk about whatever popped up.

So, here I am.

And I'm thinkin' about my dad.

I saw a chip like this in his hand once.

A couple months before he died.

Five month chip, I'm pretty sure.

He hurt me once when he was drunk.

Broke my arm.

Then he dried right out.

He died when I was five, so the only way I got to know him, really got to know him, was when I went dark.

When I... When I drank to dull the... or, uh... whenever I wanted to break someone's face, 'cause the drinking and the temper and the anger, those things in me were his.

And they were all I could know of him.

But now, well, now I get to know him a little different...

'cause he also stood in a room like this once... wanting to get well for me and my mom.

And he held the chip in his hand and the chip said five months, and on that day, he...

Before it all...

Well, on that day, all he wanted in the world was to stand where I'm standing now.

And here I am, so thank you for us both, I guess.

This is for Jack Torrance.

(APPLAUSE)





WENDY, Darling 
Hey. It's okay, Doc.
It's okay. 
(PANTING)
There.
All dry.

WENDY, Darling 
Phew. What happened?

You have to talk to me, Danny.
You haven't talked since we left...

Please, Doc.
Please.

(RAIN CONTINUES PATTERING)
(WENDY SIGHS)

HALLORAN :
So... you ain't Talking, huh, Doc?
Weren't Talking much first time I met you neither.
Little boy... set to spend a long winter at that rotten old place.

Just him and his mommy and daddy.
Daddy as dark as that boy is bright.

And, boy, is he bright.
He's shining like fire... 
in the one place... 
the worst place for someone who shines.

You remember the first time we really talked?
When I spoke up inside your head?
Made you feel good, right?
Knowing you weren't alone.

Danny :
Daddy tried to kill me.

HALLORAN :
It wasn't all him, you gotta know.
That place fed His Dark,  like it fed on Your Light.
And he had some Light in him, too.
Just like you got some Dark.
We all got both.

Danny :
It's not done with me.

HALLORAN :
It ever strike you funny 
how I showed up when I did?
When you needed me.

Someone did that for me, too.

My Grandma taught me
and I taught you.

And some day, Danny Torrance, 
you'll teach someone else.

Danny :
I won't.

HALLORAN :
Oh, you won't, huh?

Danny :
I won't shine, I mean.
No more. It's dangerous.

HALLORAN :
Reckon it is sometimes.


Danny :
She found me.
She'll come back and come back 
until she gets me.



HALLORAN :
You're right.

The Overlook's condemned. 
Boarded up.
They're starvin' old ghosts, 
and they're reachin' out for you.
Won't stop with her, either.

Danny :
Pictures in a book. You said they were 
just pictures in a book  and they couldn't hurt me.

HALLORAN :
Some things, Dark Things
The Shining's like food.
They're mosquitoes landing for blood.

The Overlook, it was  always just pictures to me.
But I didn't shine like you.
Nobody shines like you.

So, you in that damn hotel,  you was like 
a million-watt battery all plugged in.
And it ate it up.

You made it real.
Started soon as you  walked through The Door.

Can't do nothing about that, 
I'm sorry to tell you, but 
You're Not a Child.
You're older now.
Much older, in a way.

You gotta hear this.

World's a hungry place.
And The Darkest Things 
are The Hungriest
and They'll eat what shines.

Swarm it like mosquitoes or leeches.
Can't do nothing about that.

What you can do... 
is turn what they come for  against 'em.

My Grandfather, He was 
a mean Son of a Bitch.
Dark inside.

Same Type of Dark 
as Your Dad.
Beat me senseless, 
and My Grandma, too, 
and when he died, I danced.

But he kept on coming back.
Standing in my room.

Suit all gray and stinkin' from whatever mold 
was growin' on him in That Box.
One day, he grabbed me, and He was Real.

His nails were long from growing in The Grave, a
and they cut me, Doc.
Cut me deep.

So, Grandma, she taught me A Trick :
Gave me A Present.

I want you to know this box... inside and out.
Don't just look at it. Touch it.
Stick your nose inside and see if there's a smell.
Know every corner, every single thing.


Danny :
Why?

HALLORAN :
Because you're gonna build one 
just like it in Your Mind.

One even more special.

So next time that bitch 
comes around, you'll be ready.


Let's get you back to Mama.
Wendy'll worry, and she shouldn't 
have to worry another day in her life.

That woman's paid her debt.


WENDY, Darling 
Danny!
Danny!
Danny!

(PANTING) 

There you are.
Where did you go, huh?

You Scared Me Half to Death.
Don't You Do That to Me. You hear?

Don't you ever do that to me.
Don't ever do that to me.


(METAL SCRAPING ON TV)
(BUGS BUNNY ON TV) 
Eh, what's up, Doc?
(LAUGHS) 
What's the bit?
(YOUNG DAN BREATHES DEEPLY) 

What's cookin'?

WILE E. COYOTE
What's cooking, little friend? 
Why, you are.

BUGS BUNNY
Me?

WILE E. COYOTE
Why, yes. 

(LAUGHING)

BUGS BUNNY
Ouch! You're killing me!
Ouch!
Agony! Agony!

(OLD WOMAN SCREAMING)
(SCREAMING STOPS) (DOOR LOCK CLICKS)

WILE E. COYOTE: 
Let me see now.
It is obvious that this is no ordinary rabbit.
Therefore, I must dream up 
a brilliant master strategy, ingenious...

WENDY, Darling 
You okay, Doc?

WILE E. COYOTE
Now, uh, what if I lured him...


Danny :
Yeah, Mom. I'm okay. 

...into a rock crusher?


BUGS BUNNY
Nah, nah, nah, too complicated.

WILE E. COYOTE
Yeah, yeah, too complicated. 
But what if I...

BUGS BUNNY
Uh-uh, too much detail.

WILE E. COYOTE
Right. Too much detail.

(WENDY KISSES)
(SIREN WAILING ON STREET)
(GROANS SOFTLY)
("GOOD GODLY WOMAN" BY THE RED CLAY STRAYS PLAYING)

No comments:

Post a Comment