Saturday 6 November 2021

Empathy Requires Insight, Not Guesswork




If you think that 
she must feel that way, because 
THIS is happening to HER, 
then you don’t understand Human Beings at all.

This is a Miraculous Pregnancy 
in the barren womb of an infertile woman — 
There are Precedents, of course…

Amongst the women 
of The Faithful, 
having prayed for A Miracle —
They then got one.





David-8 :
My Deepest Condolences.
[ I Question Your Sincerity, Lore. ]

I'm going to have to take this.
(he confiscates her protective amulet — a cross necklace)
It may be contaminated.

Shaw :
If there's A Contagion,
we were all exposed.
You need... We need to run blood work on everyone who set foot in The Pyramid.

David-8 :
Yes, of course.

Shaw :
Yes?

David-8 :
I understand how inappropriate this is given The Circumstances.

But as you ordered quarantine fail-safes it's My Responsibility to ask :

Have You and Dr. Holloway
had any intimate contact recently?

Since you and he were so close...
I want to be as thorough as poss...

My, my -

You're pregnant.

Shaw :
What?

David-8 :
From the look of it, three months so.

Shaw :
No, that's impossible.
I can't be pregnant.

David-8 :
Did you have intercourse with Dr. Holloway?

Shaw :
Yes... but 10 hours ago.
There's no bloody way
I'm three months pregnant.

David-8 :
Well, Doctor...
it's not exactly a traditional fetus.

Shaw :
I want to see it.

….don't think that's A Good Idea.
[ You might get upset. ]

Shaw :
David, I want to see it.

David-8 :
Now, Doctor...

Shaw :
I want to see it.
I want it out of me.

David-8 :
We don't have the personnel to perform a procedure like that.
Our Best Option...

Shaw :
I want it out.

David-8 :
…put you back into cryostasis until we return to Earth.

[ Freezing the infected UnDead Engineer’s Head didn’t work at stopping The Black Oil cancer-filth infection dead in it’s tracks, why should it work with her..? It won’t, obviously. ]

Shaw :
Please, get it out of me.
Get it out of me!
Please.

David-8 :
It must be very painful.
Here, let me give you something.
That's it. There, there.

Someone will be along shortly
to bring you back to Cryo Deck.

It must feel like 
Your God abandoned you.

Shaw :
What!?

David-8 :
To lose Dr. Holloway after Your Father died
under such similar circumstances.
What was it that killed him?
Ebola?

Shaw :
How do you...? 
How do you know that?

David-8 :
I watched Your Dreams.



[Data's quarters]
(Data is packing a very small carry case. It's contents include a small holo-projector that displays an image of Tasha Yar, an impressive collection of medals, He puts a book on the desk and then Maddox walks in without even knocking. Data comes back with another item to find Maddox reading) 


MADDOX
'When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes, 
I all alone beweep my outcast state'.

 Is it just words to you, 
or Do You fathom The Meaning? 


DATA
Is it not customary to request permission before entering an individual's quarters? 


MADDOX
I thought that we could talk this out, 
that I could try to persuade you. 

Your Memories and Knowledge 
will remain intact. 


DATA
Reduced to the mere facts of The Events. 
The substance, the flavour 
of The Moment, could be lost

Take Games of Chance. 


MADDOX
Games of Chance? 


DATA
Yes, I had read and absorbed every treatise and textbook on the subject, and felt myself 
well-prepared for The Experience. 

Yet, when I finally played poker, 
I discovered that The Reality bore little resemblance to The Rules.

MADDOX
And the point being? 


DATA
That while I believe it is possible to download the information contained in The Positronic Brain, 
I do not think you have acquired The Expertise necessary to preserve 
The Essence of those experiences. 

There is an ineffable quality to Memory 
which I do not believe can survive Your Procedure. 


MADDOX
Ineffable quality
I had rather we had done this together
but one way or the other, 
we are doing it. 
You are under My Command. 


DATA
No, sir, I am not under your 
nor anyone else's command. 
I have resigned from Starfleet. 


MADDOX
Resigned? You can't resign. 


DATA: 
I regret the decision, but I must

I am the culmination of 
One Man's Dream —
This is not Ego or Vanity
but when Doctor Soong created me 
he added to The Substance 
of The Universe. 

If, by Your Experiments, I am Destroyed, Something Unique, Something Wonderful will be lost

I cannot permit that, 
I must protect His Dream. 






“Experience by itself proves nothing. If a man doubts whether he is Dreaming or Waking, no experiment can solve his doubt, since every experiment may itself be part of The Dream. 


Experience proves this, or that, or nothing, according to the preconceptions we bring to it.


This fact, that the interpretation of experiences depends on preconceptions, is often used as an argument against miracles. 


It is said that our ancestors, taking the supernatural for granted and greedy of wonders, read the miraculous into events that were really not miracles. 


And in a sense I grant it. That is to say, I think that just as our preconceptions would prevent us from apprehending miracles if they really occurred, so their preconceptions would lead them to imagine miracles even if they did not occur. 


In the same way, the doting man will think his wife faithful when she is not and the suspicious man will not think her faithful when she is: the question of her actual fidelity remains, meanwhile, to be settled, if at all, on other grounds


But there is one thing often said about our ancestors which we must not say. 


We must not say `They believed in miracles because they did not know the Laws of Nature.' 

This is nonsense. 


When St Joseph discovered that his bride was pregnant, he was `minded to put her away'.' 


He knew enough biology for that


Otherwise, of course he would not have regarded pregnancy as a proof of infidelity. When he accepted the Christian explanation, he regarded it as A Miracle precisely because he knew enough of The Laws of Nature to know that this was a suspension of them. 


When the disciples saw Christ walking on the water they were frightened:6 they would not have been frightened unless they had known the laws of Nature and known that this was an exception. If a man had no conception of a regular order in Nature, then of course he could not notice departures from that order: just as a dunce who does not understand the normal metre of a poem is also unconscious of the poet's variations from it. 


Nothing is wonderful except the abnormal and nothing is abnormal until we have grasped The Norm


Complete ignorance of The Laws of Nature would preclude the perception of The Miraculous just as rigidly as complete disbelief in the supernatural precludes it, perhaps even more so. 


For while The Materialist would have at least to explain miracles away, the man wholly ignorant of Nature would simply not notice them.


The Experience of A Miracle in fact requires two conditions. 


First we must believe in A Normal Stability of  Nature, which means we must recognise that the data offered by our sense

No comments:

Post a Comment