Monday 22 November 2021

Season 3










KIRK
Scotty! Get me out of here! 

SCOTT [OC]: 
That was quick. 
There's quite a bit of surface interference, sir. 

KIRK
Scotty!

[Transporter room]

(Two Teenaxi have beamed up with Kirk. Security deal with them as Kirk walks away.) 

SECURITY
Get it off of me! 

KIRK
I ripped My Shirt again….

SCOTT
How'd it go?

[Corridor]
(Spock and McCoy come up behind Kirk. McCoy scans him.

SPOCK
Captain, did you manage to broker 
a treaty with the Teenaxi? 

KIRK
Er... let's just say I came up short
Will you log that and put it in the vault, Spock? Thank you. 

(He throws Spock the artefact.) 

MCCOY
Jim, you look like crap. 

KIRK
Thank you, Bones. 

MCCOY
You got that little vein popping out of your temple again. You okay? 

KIRK
Never better! 
Just another day in the fleet.

Captain's log, Stardate 2263.2. 
Today is our 966th day in deep space, a little under three years into our five year mission. 

The more time we spend out here, the harder it is to tell where one day ends and the next one begins. 

It can be a challenge to feel grounded when even gravity is artificial. But, well, we do what we can to make it feel like Home. 

The crew, as always, continues to act admirably despite the rigours of our extended stay here in outer space. And the personal sacrifices they have made. 

We continue to search for new life forms in order to establish firm diplomatic ties. 

Our extended time in uncharted territory has stretched the ship's mechanical capacities but fortunately our engineering department, led by Mr Scott, is more than up to the job. 

The ship aside, prolonged cohabitation has definitely had effects on interpersonal dynamics. Some experiences for the better, and some for the worse. 

As for me, things have started to feel a little… episodic

The farther out we go, the more I find myself wondering what it is we're trying to accomplish. If the universe is truly endless, then are we not striving for something forever out of reach? 

The Enterprise is scheduled for a reprovisioning stop at Yorktown, the Federation's newest and most advanced starbase. Perhaps a break from routine will offer up some respite from the mysteries of The Unknown. 

[Kirk's quarters]

MCCOY
Sorry I'm late.
 Keenser's leaking some kind of highly acidic green goo, 
and Scotty's terrified he's gonna sneeze on the warp core and kill us all. 
What the hell are you drinking? 

KIRK
I'm pretty sure it's the rest 
of that Saurian brandy 
we picked up on Thasus. 

MCCOY
My God, man, 
are you trying to go blind? 
That stuff's illegal. 
Besides, I found this in Chekov's locker. 

(A 30 year old malt whisky.) 

MCCOY
Wow. Right? I mean, 
I always assumed he'd be….

KIRK
A vodka man. 

MCCOY
A vodka guy, exactly
I wanted to have something 
appropriate for your birthday. 

KIRK
That's in a couple days. 
You know I don't care about that. 

MCCOY
I know. I know you don't like celebrating it 
on the day because it's also 
the day Your Pa bit the dust. 

I was being sensitive

KIRK
Did they teach you about 
bedside manner in medical school? 
Or is it just your southern charm. 

(Three glasses have been poured.

KIRK
Oh yeah. That's good

MCCOY
Lordy
Are you gonna call your Mom? 

KIRK
Yeah, of course. 
I'll call her on the day. 

I'm one year older. 

MCCOY
Yep, that's usually how it works. 

KIRK
A year older than he ever got to be. 
He joined Starfleet because he... 
he believed in it. I joined on a dare

MCCOY
You joined to see 
if you could live up to him. 

You spent all this time 
trying to be George Kirk 
and now you're wondering 
just what it means to be Jim
Why you're out here. 

(a toast) 

To perfect eyesight 
and a full head of hair. 

(Comms beep.) 

KIRK
Kirk here. 

SULU [OC]: 
Captain, approaching 
Yorktown base. 

KIRK
I'm on my way, Mr Sulu.
Let's keep this birthday thing 
under wraps, huh? 

MCCOY
Yeah, you know me :
Mr Sensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment