Wednesday 6 October 2021

The Hunger Dogs








Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I'd just hit town and my throat was dry
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew

At an old saloon on a street of mud
There at a table dealin' stud
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that Named Me ‘Sue’….

Well I knew that snake was my own sweet dad
From a worn out picture that my mother had
Knew that scar on
His cheek and his evil eye

He was big and bent and grey and old
And I looked at him and my
Blood ran cold, and I said
"My Name is SUE! HOW DO YOU DO?!?
Now you gonna DIE!"

Well, I hit him hard right
Between the eyes
And he went down but to my surprise
Came up with a knife and
Cut off a piece of my ear

Then I busted a chair right across his teeth
And we crashed through
The wall and into the street
Kickin' and a gougin' in the mud
And the blood and the beer

Well I tell ya, I've fought tougher men
But I really can't remember when
He kicked like a mule and
He bit like a crocodile

I heard him laugh and
Then I heard him cuss
And he reached for his gun but
I pulled mine first
He stood there lookin' at me and
I saw him smile

And he said
"Son, This World is Rough
And if A Man's gonna make
It he's gotta be Tough
And I know I wouldn't be
There to help you along

So I gave you That Mame
And I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to Get Tough or Die
And it's That Name that helped
To Make You Strong."

He said, "Now you just fought
One heck of a fight
And I know you hate me
And ya got The Right
To kill me now and I wouldn't
Blame you if you do

But you oughta Thank Me before I die
For the gravel in your gut
And the spit in the eye
'Cause •I'm• the Son of a Bitch 
That Named You Sue."

Yeah, what could I do?
I got all choked up and threw down my gun
Called him My Pa and he called me His Son
And I came away with a
Different point of view

And I think about him Now and Then
Every time I try and every time I win
And if I ever have A Boy
I'll name him —
Bill or George or Frank
Anything damn thing but Sue!


…..Hate that name

No comments:

Post a Comment