Saturday 2 October 2021

ROPE








RUPERT :
Brandon. 
Brandon, I'm tired.

And in a way, I'm frightened too, 
but I don't want to fence any more.

What are you going to do?

I don't want to, but I'm gonna look 
inside that chest.

Are you crazy?


I hope so. 
With all My Heart, 
I hope I'm crazy.

This has nothing to do with you.
I've got to look inside that chest.

All right! 
Go ahead and look.
I hope you like what you see.



Oh, no. No!

Rupert —
I couldn't believe it was True.

Rupert, please —
Please what?

Listen to Me. 
Let Me Explain.

Do you think 
you can explain that?

Yes, to you I can, 
because you'll understand.


Understand?

Rupert, remember the discussion we had before with Mr. Kentley?


Yes.

Remember we said,
"The Lives of Inferior Beings 
are Unimportant"?

Remember we said -
we've always said, You and I-

That Moral Concepts of 
Good and Evil
and 
Right and Wrong
don't hold for
The Intellectually Superior.
Remember, Rupert?

Yes, I remember.

That's all we've done.
That's all Phillip 
and I have done.

He and I have lived what
You and I Have Talked.

I knew you'd understand,
because you have to, don't you see? 
You have to.

Brandon -
Brandon, till this very moment,

This World and The People in it
have always been 
Dark and Incomprehensible to me, 
and I've tried to clear
My Way with Logic, and 
Superior Intellect.

And you've thrown 
my own words right 
back in my face, Brandon.

You were right to.
If nothing else, A Man
should Stand by His Words.

But you've given My Words 
A Meaning that I never
dreamed of!

And you've tried to twist them
into a cold, logical excuse
for your ugly murder!

Well, they never were that, Brandon,
and you can't make them that.

There must have been something 
deep inside you from the very start,
that let you do this thing,
but there's always been
something deep inside me
that would never let me do it...
and would never let me 
be a party to it now.


What do you mean?

I mean that tonight you've made me ashamed of every concept I ever had of superior or inferior beings.

But I thank you for that shame,
because now I Know that We are each of us a separate Human Being,
Brandon, with the right to live
and work and think
as individuals, but with an obligation
to The Society we live in.

By What Right
do you dare say that there's 
a superior few to which you belong?

By What Right 
Did You DARE Decide 
that that boy in there was inferior 
and Therefore Could Be Killed?

Did You Think 
You Were God, Brandon?

Is that what you thought when you Choked the Life out of Him?

Is that what you thought when you 
Served Food from His Grave?

I don't know what you thought,
but I know what you've done.

You've murdered!

You've strangled 
a fellow Human Being,
who could Live and Love
as you never could,
and never will again.

What are you doing?


It's not what I'm going to do.
It's what Society's going to do.
I don't know what that will be,
but I can guess.

And I can help.
You're going to DIE,
Brandon, both of you!
You're Going to Die.

Was that a gun?
Yes, I heard three shots.

Yeah, they came
from up there.

I think somebody
better call the police.

Did anyone hear
any shots fired?

Can I use your phone?

Here comes a squad car now.
They're coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment