Friday 29 October 2021

Hope







ELIZABETH
I'm so sorry, both of you. 
It's small words for something so big. 
[SNIFFLES] 
I don't care. I brought us here to Albany because this was my home at the end. 
I was here, working as an attaché for the UK Ministry of Defence when everything fell apart. 
And it was then that I realized just how quickly any chance for a future can crumble, even when everyone does their best. 

You've been through so much, but with everything that's happened, Hope, do you still believe A Future's possible

HOPE :
I, uh... [SNIFFLES] 
Uh, I did

ELIZABETH
You should, because despite all of the fallen cities, it still is
And getting you to think differently
think more positively about The Future, 
yeah, that was why we pushed you to go on this journey. 

And I'm sorry, but now that you see 
how fragile civilisation is, 
I Trust that you're understanding that no... 
No One makes it alone. No one
It takes everyone coming together to have a shot at that future. 

HOPE :
No, no, you... you said you were taking me to My Father. 

ELIZABETH
I hope I can. 

HOPE :
You hope

ELIZABETH
We both know you're not ready
For A Community with a long-term plan predicated on generational education and... and scientific progress, 
geniuses are an invaluable resource, 
but A Genius who's a rebellious, strong-willed troublemaker, that's a risk
Used against us, those qualities can spread like rot. 
And they make any kind of common goal unattainable
We can't bring in someone who would jeopardize that. 

Don't misunderstand me. 
We want you to work with us. 
Now, you have a lot to offer, but I cannot bring you in to join your father unless I know that, 
despite your grief and despite your anger, 
you are fully committed to being an asset for The Future, right, to dedicating the rest of your life to learning, furthering his research, and handing that knowledge onto the next generation 'cause only then...
only then will you be an asset to The Future. 

HOPE :
I am. That's why I came with you guys, because I'm ready. 

ELIZABETH
And I-I think you need more time. 

HOPE :
For what? 

ELIZABETH
To think about what you want, Hope. 
What do you truly want? 
I'll need your answer by dawn. 

After all the shit you just put me through, I can just walk away, and you're gonna let me? 

ELIZABETH
[CHUCKLES] 
Um, I'm giving you that option, yeah. 
You'd have every reason to, 
given the extent of our manipulation. 

HOPE :
I'll take my chances. 
Alone. 

ELIZABETH
You think you can find your sister and friends? You can't
Out there on your own, you won't make it out of The City, never mind to any kind of Future. 

Being alive today, that's A Gift
and you can choose to waste it alone, waste all of your gifts,
or you can fight for a future... 
with others, for others... 
so that what happened here and to the , souls in Omaha and your friends back home never happens again. 

You don't have to like us, Hope, 
but you do have to embrace what we're fighting for
The choice is yours. Hope. 

The Dunn Memorial Bridge 
is the only way out. 
It's eight blocks east. 
I'm not recommending it. 

COOL HUCK :
You really doing this? 
After everything I did to get her here? 
She could die.

ELIZABETH
Yeah, she could
or she could choose to join us. 
We need her to choose. 

Mission incomplete

No comments:

Post a Comment