Sunday 24 October 2021

Enemy








You’re Doing Too Much.



Underground control room]

SWANN
Welcome back, Salamander. 
Are you all right? 


SALAMANDER
Don't don't come too near, my friend. 
I am not yet decontaminated. 
I am too weary. 
Too utterly weary. 


SWANN
You shouldn't have made this trip, Salamander. 
You're doing too much. 


SALAMANDER
Someone has to bring back the food for you, my friend, huh? 
You know that the radiation is slowly killing me, don't you, Swann? 


SWANN
You're just doing too much. 


SALAMANDER
I worry about you all the time. 
What're you going to do when I am no longer here? 


(Salamander walks into a decontamination booth. The Geiger counter chatters.) 


SALAMANDER
The radiation gets a little more each time, huh? 
One day, that needle will stay at maximum radiation. 


MARY
Don't say that. 


SALAMANDER
Why, Mary, Colin. 
It's my big joke, huh? 
Just to frighten you a little. 
I've got good news for us. 


COLIN
We can return to the surface? 


SALAMANDER
No, no, no, not yet, but I've found another store of food. 


COLIN
Thank goodness! 


SALAMANDER
And it is undamaged. 
Colin, open the last store of wine, huh? 
Go on, you help him too, Mary. 

(Colin and Mary leave.) 


SWANN
You must take it slowly, for goodness sake. 


SALAMANDER
I'm all right my friend, I'm just a little dizzy. 
It's terrible up there, you know. 
Swann, you've no idea. 
Right, I am ready.

[Underground main room]
(The wine is being poured.) 


SALAMANDER
Here we are, my friends. 


(They cheer him.)


SALAMANDER
Oh please, no. It is enough that I am back with you again and I have brought food for you. 
Plenty of food. 


SWANN
Here's to the man who contrived
 —

SALAMANDER
Please, Swann. 
I remembered on my way back down here that we are near our anniversary again. 
In a few short weeks, We Survivors will have been down in this shelter for exactly five years. 


CROWD
Five years. 


SALAMANDER
Colin and Mary were just teenagers then. 
Look at them now. 
We fed ourselves. 
But what's more than that, we are fighting back
We are doing something! 


CROWD
Yes! Yes! 


COLIN
Will we return to the surface, Salamander? 


SALAMANDER
Yes, of course we will. 
This is what I'm striving for. 
But up there, it's terrible still. 
The War goes on and on, and you never know when the air is clean or when it's poison. 


COLIN
When can we return? 


SALAMANDER
We have to fight for a while longer, hmm? 
Creating natural disasters, monsoons, 
earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, 
always in the places where The Enemies of Truth and Freedom gather together. 


COLIN
You tell us this all the time, Salamander. 
When are we going to escape from this nightmare prison, 
that's all I'm asking you? 


MARY
Colin, please. 


COLIN
I want an answer! 


SALAMANDER
You shall have an answer, my friend. You will return to the surface when you have a good chance of survival. 


(Salamander staggers.) 


COLIN
You are ill.


SALAMANDER
No, no, it's all right. 
But you must believe me. 
Colin, all of you. 
You cannot return to the surface until is safe to do so. 
Please my friend, we must, we must


(Swann and Salamander return to the control room.) 


MARY
You shouldn't have asked him, Colin. 
He's doing his best. 


COLIN: I can't help it, Mary. Next time, I'm going to make him take me with him. 


MARY: No. You know the others didn't come back. 


COLIN
I've got to. 


MARY
Then take me with you. I'd rather die with you up on the surface than live down here without you. 


(At the control room door.) 



SALAMANDER
No, Swann. We must check the power levels, huh? 

(Salamander closes the door. Swann returns.)

SWANN
All right, everyone to their places, please. Salamander wants to check the power levels. Come along there, come on. Full blast, that's right. Check the meter levels. Full power on line one, Salamander.

[Underground control room]
(Salamander has his feet up and is smoking a cigar.)


SALAMANDER
Oh, good, good. 


SWANN [OC]: 
No faults indicated. 


SALAMANDER
Excellent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment