Thursday 28 October 2021

Remus










[Romulan Senate chamber]

SHINZON
The Romulans had somehow gained possession of your DNA 
and I had been created, and when I was ready 
they were going to replace you with me

Put a Romulan agent 
at the heart of Starfleet. 
It was a bold plan.

PICARD
What happened?

SHINZON
As happens frequently here on Romulus, 
a new government came to power. 
They decided to abandon the plan. 
They were afraid that I might be discovered and that it would lead to war. 

...Not quite the face you remember.

PICARD
Not quite.

SHINZON
A lifetime of violence will do that. 
They broke my nose, my jaw. 

...But so much is the same. 
The eyes, surely you recognise the eyes.

PICARD
Yes.

SHINZON
Our eyes reflect our lives, don't they? 
And yours, so confident!

PICARD: 
…so I'm not as tall as you expected?

SHINZON: 
I had always hoped I would be two metres.

PICARD: 
As had I.

PICARD: 
How did you end up on Remus?

SHINZON: 
They sent me there to die
How could a mere human survive the dilithium mines? 

Not that it mattered, as I was no longer part of their plans against the Federation. 

In those terrible depths lived only The Damned. 
Together with the Reman slaves I was condemned to an existence of unceasing labour and starvation under the brutal heel of the Romulan guards. 

Only The Very Strongest had any Hope of Survival
I was only a child when they took me.
Then I didn't see the sun or stars again for nearly ten years. 

The only thing the Romulan guards hated more than the Remans... 
...was me

But one man took pity on me. 
The Man that became My Viceroy. 
He protected me from the cruelty of the guards. 

He taught me How to Survive.
And in that dark place where there was nothing of myself, 
I found my Reman brothers.


They showed me the only True Kindness I had ever known.

PICARD
You're doing this to liberate The Remans.

SHINZON
That is the single thought behind everything I have done. 
From building the Scimitar at a secret base to assembling my army. Finally coming to Romulus in force. 

I knew they would never give us Our Freedom — I would have to take it!

PICARD
But how many Romulans died for Your Freedom?

SHINZON
…Too many. But The Point is, finally 
The Empire is realising there is a better way. 
And that way is Peace

...You Don't Trust Me.

PICARD
I have no reason to.

SHINZON
You have every reason. 
If you had Lived My Life 
and experienced 
The Suffering of My People
You'd Be Standing Where I am.

PICARD
If you had lived My Lifeyou would understand 
My Responsibility to The Federation. 

cannot allow My Personal Feelings to unduly influence My Decisions.

SHINZON
All I have are my personal feelings. 
I want to know what it means to be Human. 

The Remans have given me a future. You can tell me about my past.

PICARD
I can tell you about my past.

SHINZON
Were we Picards always warriors?

PICARD
I think of myself as an explorer.

SHINZON
Well, were we always explorers?

PICARD
I was the first Picard to leave our solar system. 
It caused quite a stir in the family, but I'd spent my youth...

SHINZON
...looking up at the stars, dreaming about what was up there, about...

PICARD
..new worlds. .
...I'm trying to believe you, Shinzon. 
...If there is one ideal the Federation holds most dear is that all men, all races, can be united. 

...What better example. 
A Starfleet Captain standing in the Romulan Senate. 

...Nothing would make me more proud than to take your hand in friendship. 
In time, when that trust has been earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment