Wednesday 20 October 2021

Power + Control





What are you making?

Hinges, sir.

I've got some
workers coming in tomorrow.
Where the hell they from again?

Yugoslavia, 
Herr Kommandant.

I've got to make room.
Make me a hinge.

Yes, sir.

Keep going, you're doing well.
Oh, that's very good.

But I'm a bit confused,
and perhaps you can help me.

What I don't understand
is that you've been working
since I think, what,
about 6:00 this morning?

Yet, such a small pile
of hinges.

Oh, Christ.

May I try that, sir?

Check the angle lever.
Maybe it's bent.

No, no. You wouldn't hear a click
if it was the angle lever.

Maybe it's the pin.
Maybe the pin shaft is greasy.

Ja, come on.

What did I just say? Here.

Herr Kommandant.

I beg to report that my heap of
hinges was so unsatisfactory
because the machines were being
recalibrated this morning.
I was put on to shoveling coal.

Strange, huh?

Yeah.

Thank you, Muek.

Ah, Lisiek. Don't touch the
leather, it's just been oiled.

Rottenfuhrer.
Oh, for me?

Oh, thank you very much,
Herr Direktor.

Herr Direktor!
Herr Direktor!
Herr Direktor.

He was making hinges slowly.

So the man can turn out a hinge in
less than a minute.
Why the long story?

Hmm?

Thank you, sir.

You're welcome.

Nobody knows who
stole the chicken, hmm?

Tell him about the chicken.

A man walks around with a chicken
and nobody notices this.

Save Yourselves.
Tell him about the chicken.

Still nobody knows.

It was you.
You committed this crime.

No, sir.

But you know who, though.

Yes.

Who?

Him!

He's very gifted.

Yeah, sure.
Bring him over.

Sir. Thank you.

Thank you again, Herr Direktor.

You're welcome again.

It's an honor to work
for such a great company.

It's great to have you.

I promise to learn everything there is to know about enamelware production.

That's great.

Hello? Miss Elsa Krause is here.
I only need 5 minutes.

She wants to speak to the Herr Direktor.

Yes.

He won't see you.

Please, sit down.

Pernod? Cognac?

No. No, thank you.

So, what can I do for you?

They say that no one dies here.
They say your factory is a haven.
They say you are Good.

Who says that?

Everyone.
My name is Regina Perlman,
not Elsa Krause.
I've been living in Krakow on false
papers since the ghetto massacre.

My parents are in Plaszow.
Their names are
Chana and Jakob Perlman.

They are older people.
 They are killing older people now in Plaszow.

They bury them up in the forest. Look, I don't have any money.
I borrowed these clothes.
I'm begging you. Please.
Please bring them here.

I don't do that.
You've been misled.

I ask one thing.
Whether or not the worker 
has certain skills.

That's what I ask
and that's what I care about.

My father is an importer,
not a metalworker.

Such activities are illegal. 
You will not entrap me!

Cry, and I will have you arrested.
I swear to God!

People die.
It's a fact of life.

He wants to kill everybody?
Great!

What am I supposed to do about it?
Bring everybody over?
Is that what you think?
Send them over to Schindler.
Send them all!
His place is A Haven, didn't you know?
It's not a factory.
It's not an enterprise of any kind.

It's a haven for rabbis and orpha
and people with no skills whatsoever!

You think I don't know what you're doing?

You're so quiet all the time.
I know, I know!

Are you losing money?

That's not The Point!

So The Point is?

It's Dangerous!
It's Dangerous to Me!

You have to understand. 
Goeth is under enormous pressure.

You have to think of it in his situation.

He's got this whole place to run.
He's responsible for everything
here, all these people.

He's got a lot of things to worry about.

And he's got The War which
brings out the worst in people.

Never The Good, always The Bad.
Always The Bad.

But in normal circumstances he wouldn't be like this. 
He'd be alright.

There'd just be The Good aspects of him, which...
He's a wonderful crook.

A man who loves good food, good
wine, the ladies, making money...

Killing.

He can't enjoy it.
Bejski told me the other day,
somebody escaped from a work detail outside the wire.

Goeth lined up everybody from
the missing man's barracks.

He shot the man to the left of
Bejski, the man to the right of him.

He walked down the line shooting
every other man with a pistol.

25.

What do you want me to do about it?

Nothing, nothing.

We're just talking.

"Perlman."

Perlman!

Husband and wife.

Jakob and Chana Perlman!

Have Goldberg bring them over.

Mutzen ab!

Appell abtreten!

I'm sure this will be better
than those rags, Lisiek.

Herr Direktor, I was just helping
Lisiek to find something to clean the stains from the Herr Kommandant's bathtub.

Go clean it.

Pardon me, Herr Direktor.

You don't have to report to me, Helen.
You know who I am? Hmm?
I'm Schindler.

Of course. I have heard, 
and you have been here before.

Here, why don't you keep this someplace?

Go on, take it.

I get extra food here.

Well, if you don't want to eat it, 
trade it. Or give it to Lisiek.
Why not build yourself up?

My first day here, he beat me 
because I threw out
the bones from dinner.

He came down to the basement
at midnight, and he...
He asked me where they were.

For his dogs, you understand.

I said to him, 
I don't know how I say this.
I never could say it now,

I said to him,
"Why are you beating me?"

He said, 
“The reason I beat you now
is because you ask why I beat you."

I know your sufferings, Helen.

It doesn't matte
I have accepted them.

Accepted them?

One day he will shoot me.

No, no, no, he won't shoot you.
I know. I see things.

We were on the roof on Monday,
young Lisiek and I,
and we saw the Herr Kommandant
come out of the from door
and down the steps by the
patio, right there below us,
and there on the steps
he drew his gun and he
shot a woman who was passing by.

A woman carrying a bundle.
Through the throat.

Just a woman on her way
somewhere, you know?

She was no fatter or thinner
or slower or faster than anyone else,
and I couldn't guess what had she done.

The more you see of the Herr Kommandant, the more you see 
There is No Rules 
That You can Live By.

You can't say to yourself, 
"If I follow these rules, 
I will be safe."

He won't shoot you because
he enjoys you too much.

He enjoys you so much he won't
even let you wear The Star.

He doesn't want anyone else to know
it's a Jew he's enjoying.

He shot the woman from the steps
because she meant nothing to him.

She was one of a series,
neither offending or pleasing him.

But you, Helen.

It's all right. 
It's not that kind of a kiss.

Thank you.

Shh.

Here.

Right. The wine.

Wonderful party, Amon.
Thank you.

Why do you drink
that motor oil?

Hmm? I send you good
stuff all the time.

Your liver's going to explode
like a hand grenade.

You know, I look at you.
I watch you.
You're never drunk.

Oh, that's...
That's real control.
Control is Power.
That's Power.

Is that why they fear us?

We have the fucking power to
kill, that's why they fear us.

They fear us because we have
the power to kill arbitrarily.

A man commits a crime,
he should know better.

We have him killed, 
and we feel pretty good about it.

Or we kill him ourselves
and we feel even better.

That's not Power, though.

That's Justice.
It's different than Power.

Power is when we have
every justification to kill,
and we don't.

You think that's Power?

That's what the emperors had.
A man stole something, he's brought in
before The Emperor,
he throws himself down on the
ground, he begs for mercy.

He knows he's going to die.

And the emperor pardons him.

This worthless man.
He lets him go.

I think you are drunk.

That's Power, Amon.
That is Power.

Amon The Good.

I pardon you.

What do they want?

I don't know, but they're in
my office now reviewing our books.

As my accountant, tell me, should
I be alarmed that the auditors
are reviewing my books?

Well...

Or have you done
your job properly?

You needn't be alarmed.
I needn't be alarmed.

I'm sorry, sir.

Do you know how much
this saddle is worth?

Do you know how much it costs?

All right.
All right.

Stern, what the hell are you
doing following me around?

Baracken eins, elf
funfzehn und zwounddreiBig
am Appellplatz melden.

She was smoking on the job.

Tell her not to do it again.

I have to report, sir.

I've been unable to remove
the stains from your bathtub.

What are you using, Lisiek?

Soap, Commandant.

Soap? Not lye?

Go ahead, go on, leave.
Leave, I pardon you.

I pardon you.



Virgil: 
Now the first time you kill somebody, 
that's the hardest. 
I don't give a shit if you're fuckin' Wyatt Earp 
or Jack the Ripper. Remember that guy in Texas? 
The guy up in that fuckin' tower that killed all them people? 
I'll bet you green money that first little black dot he took a bead on, that was the bitch of the bunch. 

First one is tough, no fuckin' foolin'. 
The second one... the second one ain't no fuckin' Mardis Gras either, 
but it's better than the first one 
'cause you still feel the same thing, y'know... except it's more diluted, y'know it's... it's better. I threw up on the first one, you believe that? Then the third one... the third one is easy, you level right off. It's no problem. Now... shit... now I do it just to watch their fuckin' expression change.

No comments:

Post a Comment