Friday 21 October 2022

Bernard & The Genie



Writer Richard Curtis sat down one Christmas determined to write something cheerful. 
"My Family and I had just watched an Agatha Christie, 
during which two people were stabbed 
and one was forcibly injected with 
heroin," says the Blackadder creator. 
"By the end of it we were totally miserable." 

Determined to provide something happier for Christmas 1991 
he came up with the story 
for Bernard and the Genie.


Bernard & The Genie - BBC1 - 
Monday 23 December 1991

Bernard Bottle
So all I have to do is wish?

Josephus, The Genie
As far as I know; the training for this 
stupid job is practically nonexistent.


Bernard Bottle: 
Originally, it was supposed to celebrate The Birth of this chap called Jesus Christ, who was born, 
well, about 2000 years ago.
Genie: 
Jesus, you say?

Bernard Bottle: 
Yeah.

Genie: 
But I knew this guy.

Bernard Bottle: 
You did not!

Genie: 
I did, I mean, what did 
he do to get so famous?

Bernard Bottle: 
Well, he turned out to 
be The Son of God.

Genie
No! I thought he was kidding!

Genie: 
One day I was in The Temple 
when they tried to turn it 
into a supermarket; 
Jesus went in there 
and kicked ass!

Bernard Bottle: 
Like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Genie: 
Yes, but with smaller pectorals.

No comments:

Post a Comment