Friday 26 July 2019

The Messenger


 

I know you people are caught in the middle of this. 

In a sense, we all are.

I wish there was something I could do.
The only thing left for us is to pray.
Pray for the safety of our families, for our countries, for our planet.
May God forgive us and protect us.







FLOYD : 
HAL, give me a system status report, please.


HAL-9000 :
Just one moment, please.
I'm sorry for the delay.
My voice recognition circuits are not completely restored although, as you can see, they are improving.
All systems are functional.
There is a small pressure leak in the aft heating unit. 
It is nothing serious.
I can compensate for it by using the redundant units.

FLOYD :
Thank you.

HAL-9000 :
Dr. Floyd?

FLOYD :
Yes?

HAL-9000 :
Would you like to play a game of chess?
I play very well.


FLOYD :
I'm sure you do. 
No, thank you.


HAL-9000 :
Dr. Floyd?



FLOYD :
What is it, HAL?

HAL-9000 :
There is a message for you.


FLOYD :
Who's calling?


HAL-9000 :
There is no identification.


FLOYD :
What's the message?



HAL-9000 :
Message as follows:
It is Dangerous to Remain Here.
You Must Leave Within Two Days.


FLOYD :
What?


HAL-9000 :
Do you want me to repeat the message, Dr. Floyd?


FLOYD :
Who recorded it?



HAL-9000 :
This is not a recording.



FLOYD :
Who's sending it?


HAL-9000 :
There is no identification.



FLOYD :
I don't understand.

HAL-9000 :
Neither do I.



FLOYD :
Is this message by voice or keyboard?


HAL-9000 :
I don't know.


FLOYD :
My response is:
We don't have enough fuel for an earlier departure.


HAL-9000 :
The answer is:
I'm aware of these facts.
Nevertheless, you must leave within two days.



FLOYD :
HAL, who the hell is sending this?


HAL-9000 :
I'm sorry, Dr. Floyd. 
I don't know.


FLOYD :
Well, tell whoever it is that I can't take any of this seriously unless I know who I'm talking to.


HAL-9000 :
Dr. Floyd?


FLOYD :
Yes?

HAL-9000 : 
The response is:
I was David Bowman.
Do you want me to repeat the last response?


FLOYD :
No, no.
Tell Curnow that this is no time for jokes.

HAL-9000 :
Dr. Curnow is not sending the message.
He is in Accessway 2.


FLOYD :
Well, tell whoever it is that...
...I can't accept that identification without proof.

HAL-9000 :
The response is: 
I understand.
It is important that you believe me.
Look behind you.


IWAS :
[IN COMPUTERIZED VOICE]
Hello, Dr. Floyd.
Please...
...believe me.


FLOYD :
What are you?

 IWAS :
This is very difficult for me.
I don't have much time.
I've been allowed to give you this warning.
You must leave here in two days.



FLOYD :
Allowed.
By who?


IWAS :
I can't explain.
You see, something is going to happen.
You must leave.


FLOYD :
What?
What's going to happen?


IWAS :
Something Wonderful.


FLOYD :
What?



IWAS :
I understand how you feel.
You see, it's all very clear to me now.
The Whole Thing.
It's Wonderful.



FLOYD :
Please, if--


IWAS :
-[IN NORMAL VOICE] 
Goodbye, Dr. Floyd.
We can have no further contact.
Remember:
You have two days.


FLOYD :
We can't leave in two days.


IWAS :
There may be another message after if all goes well.

FLOYD :
What's going to happen?



No comments:

Post a Comment