Friday 19 July 2019

The 3 Stage Model of Trust : Stead













The Patriot - Recruit

They hanged my brother down in Acworth.
Every damned one of them Redcoats deserves to die.

Martin : 
Sign up.


With all my ailments...
I wouldn't make it through the first skirmish. No, sir.
But you can have my Negro.
He'll fight in my stead.


Occam! Get over here.
Ain't overly smart.
But he's strong as a bull.


Can you write?


No, no, sir.


Well, then, make your mark.



Why?
I just signed him over to you.


If you're willing, I'd like you to make your mark.
That'll do.


and send a message to King George
he will never forget!





































Our first order of business-
And our last, if we vote a levy!
Order, order!
Mr. Simms, you do not have the floor.
First, an address by ColoneI
Harry Burwell of the ContinentaI Army.
ColoneI Burwell.
You all know why I'm here.
I'm not an orator.
And I would not try to convince you
of the worthiness of our cause.
I'm a soldier.
And we are at war.
From Philadelphia, we expect
a declaration of independence.
levied money...
...in support of a continentaI army.
I ask that South Carolina be the ninth.
Massachusetts and Virginia
may be at war...
...but South Carolina is not!
Hear, hear.
This is not a war for the independence
of one or two colonies...
...but for the independence
of one nation.
And what nation is that?
An American nation!
There is no such nation
and to speak of one is treason.
We are citizens of an American nation.
And our rights are being threatened...
...by a tyrant 3000 miles away.
Would you tell me, please,
Mr. Howard...
...why should I trade one tyrant
...for 3000 tyrants one mile away?
An elected legislature can trample
a man's rights as easily as a king can.
Captain Martin...
...I understood you to be a patriot.
If you mean by " patriot," am I angry
about taxation without representation?
Well, yes, I am.
Should the American colonies govern
themselves independently?
I believe they can. And they should.
But if you're asking me am I willing
to go to war with England...
...then the answer is
most definitely no.
This from the same Captain Benjamin
Martin whose fury was so famous...
...during the Wilderness campaign?
I was intemperate in my youth.
Temperance can be a disguise for fear.
Mr. Middleton, I fought
with Captain Martin...
...under Washington
in the French and Indian War.
There's not a man in this room...
...or anywhere for that matter, to whom
I would more willingly trust my life.
There are alternatives to war.
We take our case before the king.
- We plead with him.
- We tried.
Well, then, we try again and again
if necessary to avoid a war.
I was at Bunker Hill.
The British advanced three times.
We killed 700 at point-blank range
and still they took the ground.
That is the measure of their resolve.
If your principles dictate
independence...
...then war is the only way.
It is come to that.
Hear, hear.
I have seven children.
My wife is dead.
Now, who's to care for them
if I go to war?
Wars are not fought
only by childIess men.
Granted.
But mark my words.
This war will be fought,
not on the frontier...
...or on some distant battlefield...
...but amongst us.
Among our homes.
Our children will learn of it
with their own eyes.
And the innocent will die
with the rest of us.
I will not fight.
And because I will not fight,
I will not cast a vote...
...that will send others to fight
in my stead.
And your principles?
I'm a parent. I haven't got
the luxury of principles.
We must vote to levy!
You intend to enlist
without my permission?
Yes, I do.
Father, I thought you were
a man of principle.
When you have a family of your own,
perhaps you'll understand.
When I have a family of my own,
I won't hide behind them.
He's as imprudent as his father was
at his age.
Regrettably so.
I'll see to it that he
serves under me.
Make him a clerk or quartermaster,
something of that sort.
Good luck.





Reverend, with your permission,
I'd like to make an announcement.
Young man, this is a house of God.
I understand that, reverend.
I apologize.
The South Carolina Militia is
being called up.
I'm here to enlist every man willing.
Son...
...we are here to pray...
...for the souls of those men
hanging outside.
Yes, pray for them.
But honor them by
taking up arms with us.
And bring more suffering to this town?
If King George can hang those men,
he can hang any one of us.
Dan Scott...
...barely a week ago you railed
for two hours about independence.
Mr. Hardwick, how many times
have I heard you...
...speak of freedom
at my father's table?
Half the men in this church,
including you, Father...
...and you, reverend...
...are as ardent patriots as I.
Will you now, when you are needed most,
stop at only words?
Is that the sort of men you are?
I ask only that you act
upon the beliefs...
...of which you have
so strongly spoken...
...and in which you
so strongly believe.
Who's with us?
Mr. Howard.
Sir...
...may I have permission to
write to Anne?
- May I have permission to write Anne?
- Yes.
You have permission...
...to write me.
Oh, write her.
Very well.
Thank you, sir.
Reverend?
A shepherd must tend his flock.
And, at times, fight off the wolves.
Are you sure this is the right place
to recruit for a militia?
God save King George!
I think we came to the right place.
- Any bounty?
- No scalp money this time, Rollins.
But you can keep or sell me the muskets
and gear of any Redcoat you kill.


The Patriot - Recruit

They hanged my brother down in Acworth.
Every damned one of them Redcoats deserves to die.

Martin :
Sign up.


With all my ailments...
I wouldn't make it through the first skirmish. No, sir.
But you can have my Negro.
He'll fight in my stead.


Occam! Get over here.
Ain't overly smart.
But he's strong as a bull.


Can you write?


No, no, sir.


Well, then, make your mark.



Why?
I just signed him over to you.


If you're willing, I'd like you to make your mark.
That'll do.


I'll kill me some Redcoats.

I believe you would.
How old are you?


Not quite old enough.
But his time will come.


John Billings.
I was hoping you'd turn up.



There's a story going around about 20 Redcoats... got killed by a ghost or some damn thing.
Carried a Cherokee tomahawk.


Aren't you a little old to be believing in ghost stories?


How many did you get?
Twelve.
Good.
These men,
they're not the sort we need.
They're exactly the sort we need.
They've fought
this kind of war before.
What about me? Am I one of that sort?
Hell, no.
Your sort gives that sort a bad name.
I want accuracy and precision.
Make ready!
Take aim!
Fire!
Dear Anne.;
Our force continues to grow.
As long as we continue to fight,
others will come to fight beside us.
I long to see you and speak to you.
I'm hopeful that our duties
will bring me near you.
Until then, I am and will remain
most affectionately yours.
Gabriel.
We surrender!
No! God, stop!
For the love of God, we-
These men were about to surrender!
Perhaps.
We will never know.
This is murder!
Hell, reverend, they're Redcoats.
They've earned it.
- We're better than that.
- What do you know about war?
I know the difference
between fighting-
Go back to church!
Quiet!
He's right.
Quarter will be given to British
wounded and any who surrender.
They gave no quarter when they fired on
a ship carrying my wife and daughters.
I watched from 200 yards off
as they were burned alive.
- All my sympathy, but my order stands.
- Damn your sympathy.
Who are you to give such an order?
I know what you did
to my countrymen at Fort Wilderness.
We're militia.
This is not regular army.
Every man here is free to
come and go as he pleases.
But while you're here...
...you will obey my command
or I will have you shot.



PHILOSOPHER: From the standpoint of Adlerian psychology, the basis of interpersonal relations is not founded on Trustbut on Confidence

YOUTH : And 'confidence' in this case is ...?

PHILOSOPHER : It is doing without any set conditions whatsoever when believing in others. 

Even if one does not have sufficient objective grounds for trusting someone, one believes. 

One believes unconditionally without concerning oneself with such things as security. That is Confidence.

YOUTH : Believing unconditionally? 

So, it's back to your pet notion of neighbourly love? 

PHILOSOPHER : Of course, if one believes in others without setting any conditions whatsoever, there will be times when one gets taken advantage of. 

Just like the guarantor of a debt, there are times when one may suffer damages. 

The attitude of continuing to believe in someone even in such instances is what we call Confidence. 

YOUTH: Only a naive dimwit would do such a thing! 

I guess you hold with the doctrine of innate human goodness, while I hold with the doctrine of innate human evilness. 

Believe unconditionally in complete strangers, and you'll just get used and abused. 

PHILOSOPHER: And there are also times when someone deceives you, and you get used that way. 

But look at it from the standpoint of someone who has been taken advantage of. 

There are people who will continue to believe in you unconditionally even if you are the one who has taken advantage of them. 

People who will have confidence in you no matter how they are treated. 

Would you be able to betray such a person again and again?

PHILOSOPHER: I am sure it would be quite difficult for you to do such a thing. 

YOUTH: After all that, are you saying one has to appeal to the emotions? 

To keep on holding the faith, like a saint, and act on the conscience of the other person? 

You're telling me that morals don't matter to Adler, but isn't that exactly what we're talking about here? 

PHILOSOPHER: No, it is not. 

What would you say is the opposite of confidence? 

YOUTH: An antonym of confidence? Uh.....

PHILOSOPHER: It is Doubt. 

Suppose you have placed 'doubt' at the foundation of your interpersonal relations. 

That you live your life doubting other people – doubting your friends, and even your family and those you love. 

What sort of relationship could possibly arise from that? 

The Other Person will detect the doubt in your eyes in an instant.

He or she will have an instinctive understanding that 'this person does not have confidence in me'.  

Do you think one would be able to build some kind of positive relationship from that point? 

It is precisely because we lay a foundation of unconditional confidence
 that it is possible for us to build a deep relationship. 



[Conference room]

(The Fifth Doctor is still plucking the harp strings.)
DOCTOR 5: Well, if it is a tune, what could it be? A tune like, a tune like. A tune like the one that's been under my nose all the time perhaps.
(He sits at the harp and plays the tune painted on the portrait. The section of the wall slides away.)

[Secret room]

(The Fifth Doctor looks at the pentagon with the models on it. Dressed in black and wearing the coronet, Borusa looks up from a panel.)
BORUSA: Welcome, Doctor.
DOCTOR 5: Lord President.
BORUSA: You show very little surprise. Can it be that you suspected me? 

DOCTOR 5: 
Not at first. Your little charade fooled me for a while.

BORUSA: 
Yes, it was rather neat, wasn't it? 
Such a pity about the Castellan, but then I needed someone to use for a diversion. 

DOCTOR 5: 
Oh, Borusa. 
What's happened to you? 

BORUSA: 
You know how long I have ruled Gallifrey, Doctor, both openly or behind the scenes. 

DOCTOR 5: 
Oh, you've done great service. 
It was only right you should become President.

BORUSA: President? 
How long before I must retire, my work half done. 
If I could continue —

DOCTOR 5: 
Oh, I understand. 
You want to be President throughout all your remaining regenerations. 

BORUSA: 
Oh, you underestimate my ambition, Doctor. 
I shall be President Eternal, and rule forever

DOCTOR 5: Immortality? Oh, that's impossible, even for a Time Lord.
BORUSA: Rassilon achieved it. Timeless perpetual bodily regeneration. True immortality! Rassilon lives, Doctor. He cannot die. He is immortal.
BORUSA: Immortal, Doctor. Before Rassilon was bound, he left clues for his successor, whom he knew would follow him. Oh, I have discovered much, Doctor. This Game control room, the casket with the Scrolls, the Coronet of Rassilon.
DOCTOR 5: But not the final secret.
BORUSA: The Secret of Immortality, Doctor? It lies in the Dark Tower, in the Tomb of Rassilon itself. There are many dangers, many traps.
DOCTOR 5: So, you sent me to the Zone to deal with them for you.
BORUSA: I gave you companions to help, an old enemy to fight. 
Why, it's a game within a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment