Tuesday 16 July 2019

Zorro









[sighs] [metal creaking, door opens] 
TANDY: [yelling out] 
Movie night is in the house! 
Did this place always look like such a shithole? 


TY :
I hate you so much sometimes.

TANDY: 
Sometimes.
But you love the me that steals from your old stomping grounds.

TY :
Did you get the syllabus from A.P.

TANDY: 
Psychics? Oh, yeah.
And almost all the textbooks on it.
Check it out, I got you one of these thingies.
A new one.

TY :
Okay 
It's cool, but what's it for? 
TANDY: 
For, like, studying? 
And all the "notes to self"? 

TY :
Um, "Note to self: Tandy has no idea what studying is." 

TANDY: 
Solitude has made you sassy.

TY :
And yet, I keep bringing you gifts.
TV night is in the house.
I can't believe people used to watch these things.
[VCR loading] 


TY :
How you been? 


TANDY: 
Really good.

TY :
And your mom? 


TANDY: 
Still at it.
Getting her act together.
But things really couldn't be better.
But today, you know, I had this 

TYRONE: [in the distance]
 Sorry.
[tarp rustling] 

TYRONE: 
Sorry.
[thud] 
What were you saying? 


TANDY: 
Look who's been practicing.


TY :
Well, you know, I got a lot of time on my hands.

TANDY: 
Well if you've gotten so good, why don't you hit up your girl? 


TY :
Super-human booty call.
Nah, I'm just trying to lay low.
No human contact.

TANDY: 
Come on, Ty, you gotta stretch your legs a little.
You know, I heard the last person that lived here, got a little stir-crazy.


TY :
That's why we have movie night.
How 'bout you? 
You been practicing? 

TANDY: 
Every once in a while, you know, when I don't want to get up and grab a knife.
So what's with this Zeppo guy? 


TY :
Zorro? Actually, my mom, and dad, and Billy, and I, we used to watch the reruns in Korean on rabbit ears.

TANDY: 
Wait, you guys speak Korean? 

TY :
Well, you don't have to with Zorro.
The story's always the same.
Town-folks in trouble.
He rises up.
Fights the power.
Bad guys get all Z'd.

TANDY: 
His outfit is kind of ridiculous.

TY :
Check your cloak envy.

TANDY: 
Nobody's getting Z'd with a cloak, Ty.
Man needs a blade for that.

TY :
Lucky I have you.

TANDY: 
Damn right.
Do you miss it? 

TY :
Nah, I can practice as much I can in here, right? 


TANDY: 
No, I mean the real "it." 
The in-the-thick-of-it, risking your life, moment to moment, the saving-the-world rush.

TY :
Nah.
Definitely don't miss running away from bullets.
Risking my life.
Almost dying.
Or puttin' my family in danger, no.


TANDY: 
Yeah, but don't you get restless? 

TY :
Yeah, I suppose I do sometimes.

TANDY: 
What do you do? 

TY :
What I'm supposed to do.
Fight it.
Stay home.
Sit tight.
Hope [scoffs] 
Lady Justice will find a way to get me off the hook.
How 'bout you? You miss it? 


TANDY: 
Yeah from time to time, sure.
But I make knives of light.
I mean what would I even do? 



No comments:

Post a Comment