Tuesday 9 July 2019

Cookie Dough

Buffy looks at Angel warmly. 
BUFFY
No. 

ANGEL
No, what? 

BUFFY
No, you're not gonna be in this fight.

She starts to leave as he follows, unhappy. 
Stops her near the entrance. 

ANGEL
Why the hell not? 

BUFFY
'Cause I can't risk you. 

ANGEL
You need me in this. 

BUFFY
No, I need you gone. 

ANGEL
Why?
She thinks a moment, before: 

BUFFY
If I lose... if this gets past Sunnydale, then it's days -- or hours -- before the rest of the world goes.

 I need a second front, and I need you to run it. 

ANGEL
If I'm here we have a better shot at capping this thing. 
I've read the files -- 

BUFFY
Well I've lived the files and I... if I can't win this... it's my fight, Angel.
It might be my last. But it’s mine.

A beat, as he takes it in. 

ANGEL
Okay. That's one reason. 
What's the other? 

BUFFY
There is no other.

EXT. GRAVEYARD - NIGHT 
She exits, gets a few yards away before he appears at the entrance, calling after her: 

ANGEL
Is it Spike?
She stops, turns. 
Not overly anxious to look him in the eye. 
He approaches. 
ANGEL (cont'd)
You're not telling me something.
And... his scent. 
I remember it pretty well. 
BUFFY
You vampires... did anybody ever tell you that the whole smelling everybody thing is a little gross? 
ANGEL
Is he your boyfriend? 
BUFFY
Is that your business? 
ANGEL
Are you in love with him?

Beat. Buffy can't answer. 
ANGEL (cont'd)
Maybe I'm outta line, but this is kind of a curveball for me. 
We are talking about Spike here. 
BUFFY
It's different. He's different. 
He has a soul now. 
ANGEL
Oh. Well. 
BUFFY
What. 
ANGEL
No, no, that's great.
(mumbling)
Everyone's got a soul now. 
BUFFY
What are you, pissed? 
ANGEL
No, it's great. 
One for our side. 
BUFFY
He'll make a difference. 
ANGEL
(almost to himself)
You know, I started it.
(right to her)
The whole... having a soul. 
Before it was all the "cool new thing"... 
BUFFY
Oh my god, are you twelve
ANGEL
I'm gettin' the brush off for Captain Peroxide, it doesn't bring out The Champion in me. 
BUFFY
It's not the brush off.
Having both of you here would be... confusing. 
ANGEL
For who? 
BUFFY
Everybody! Why are you so -- 
Are you gonna come by and get all Dawson on me every time I have a boyfriend? 
ANGEL
Aha! Boyfriend! 
BUFFY
He's not! But...
(thinks about it)

He is in My Heart. 
ANGEL
That'll end well. 
BUFFY
And what was the highlight of our relationship? 
The time you broke up with me or the time I killed you?
He backs down, the fight going out of both of them. 
She leans against a crypt, placing the file atop it.
BUFFY (cont'd)
I'm well aware of my stellar history with guys, and no, I don't see fat grandchildren in the offing with
Spike, but... 

I don't think that matters right now.

(thinks a moment)
You know, in the midst of all this... insanity, couple things are actually starting to make sense. 

And the guy thing...
He joins her, also leaning on the crypt. 
BUFFY (cont'd)
You know, I've always figured there was something wrong with me, 'cause I never made it work. 

But maybe I'm not supposed to. 
ANGEL
Because you're The Slayer? 
BUFFY
Because... okay, I'm cookie dough, okay? 
ANGEL
Yet another curveball... 
BUFFY
I'm not done baking yet. 
I'm not finished becoming... whoever the hell it is I'm gonna turn out to be. 
I've been looking for someone to make me feel whole, and maybe I just need to be whole. 
I make it through this, and the next thing, and the next...
maybe one day I turn around and 
realize I'm ready. 
I'm cookies. 

And then if I want someone to eat m -- or, to enjoy warm delicious cookie-me, then that's fine. 

That'll be then. 
When I'm done. 
ANGEL
Any thoughts on who might enjoy... do I have to go with the cookie analogy? 
BUFFY
I don't really think that far ahead.
That's kind of the point. 
ANGEL
I get it.
A beat, and he hands her the amulet. 
ANGEL (cont'd)
I'll start working on a second front.
Make sure I don't have to use it.
A beat, his hands on hers, and he starts off. 
BUFFY
Angel. I do. Sometimes... think that far ahead.
He stops, smiles a bit.
BUFFY (cont'd)
We both have our lives, but...
sometimes... 
ANGEL
Sometimes is something. 
BUFFY
It'd be a long time coming. 
Years, if ever.
He walks backwards into The Dark, smiling at her. 
ANGEL
I ain't gettin' any older.
He disappears into shadow. 
She watches him go.





No comments:

Post a Comment