Saturday 24 July 2021

This Could Be The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship


UN Secretary-General Baxter :
So was this Justice, Superman? 

Millions in Property Damage, 
Helpless Bystanders Killed 
by a repeat metahuman felon,
who's now enjoying three square meals a day 
as a guest of The State.

You had The Power to end 
Atomic Skull's Criminal Career 
right there, permanently

Why Didn't You

Superman :
I'm not anyone's 
Judge and Jury, Professor Baxter. 
Definitely not An Executioner. 

My Powers Don't put me 
Above The Law. 

UN Secretary-General Baxter :
A Noble Sentiment. 

But are you The Superman 
that The 21st Century needs?
 
Why not use Your Power 
To Fix The World? 


Superman :
First, I Don't Believe 
That The World is Broken. 

Because when We Say 'The World', 
We're really Talking about People

And it's always been My Belief that 
People at their core are Good


The Grace of Mankind is Everywhere
You just have to Open Your Eyes. 

Humanity has a limitless 
Potential for Good. 

My Purpose is 
To Help People 
reach That Potential. 



Tamarev. Tamarev is under attack. 

What have You People done? 

How dare you?  Pokolistan holds to the treaty. 

Liar! My People are dying in The Streets. 

No less than they deserve! 

UN Secretary-General Baxter :
"Limitless Potential for Good"? 


Superman :
Good isn't Perfect. 
I Have to Go. 
To Be Continued, Professor? 



Superman :

Good to meet you all. 

Thank you again for what you did in Bialya, 

but we need to talk. 


Mister Black :

Of course.

 

Someone comes sniffing around your tomato, 

so to speak, you need to get a look-see. 


Due Diligence

We're an open book

So if you'll just relax... 


Superman :

Sorry. I heard your Telepathic Shout before. 

But My Mind is protected from anything deeper by a series of psychic blocks. 


Mister Black :

Best I've seen, too. 

Got a few skeletons rattling around 

up there you don't want out? 


I'm not looking for your Deepest, Darkest — 

Showing is faster than Telling. 


I hate to hear Me Own Voice, 

Believe it or not.


Coldcast :

Don't believe him.

 

Only thing shuts him up 

is a soccer game. 


Mister Black :

Football, you uneducated Yank. 



This is low-level stuff, Supes. 

Promise. Like Telly in HD. 


Alright -- Apologies in advance 

for the graphic nature 

of what you're about to see --


Some of us had it rough 

in The Origin Department. 


"I'm off, then. 

See you at dinner."


"Lucky I give you 

a roof and a pillow

you worthless squib.


You want something to eat? 

Work it out for yourself


Take The Girl with you. 

Can't stand her mewling." 




It's a Cinderella story, really. 

I was The Unplanned Fifth of Five boys,

left to fend for meself 

after me mum died giving birth

 to Number Six. 


The Only Girl. 

Vera


"Ooh. What's wrong, love?"


"I lost my mum!" 


"Oh, don't fret, dear. 

We'll find your mum."

 

The Only Good Thing I had. 

Brothers had all gone off 

and wound up dead or in jail,

where they wound up dead anyway. 


But Vera, She was Special

Did what I could to protect her. 


But really, she was always 

taking care of me

'til that summer. 


Plenty of loose wallets in Heaton Park. 

Not proud of it, but hungry is hungry


"Good Day!"


"Let's get ice cream before... 

Aah!"


Thought it was puberty, you know. Headaches. 

The feeling that My Body 

was turning against me. 


But it was getting worse by the week. 

But that day... 


There's one of them. 


I couldn't stand. 

Couldn't run. 

A Damn Cripple


If it wasn't for Vera... 


"Sod off, copper."


"No! Vera!"


It was a frigging Horror Show. 

Me, on my knees. 

Vera screaming. 


And I was Helpless, 

praying for it all to stop. 


Imagine my shock when it did.

 

Goodbye, headaches. 

Hello, Power. 


After that it's the usual fish tale. 

Her Majesty's Secret Service took notice, 

gave me a bed, and taught me about 

Hurting Bad People 

In The Name of Freedom. 


Met this lot during a particularly disenfranchising Tour in Africa, 

and we decided to make a go of it 

freelance, like yourself. 


The Rest is Current Events. 



Superman :

Your Sister -- 

Did She Make It? 


Mister Black :

We Don't All Get 

Happy Endings, Superman. 





No comments:

Post a Comment