Friday 30 July 2021

I Never Lie.






PERRY

(walking around)

I want the real story! (bangs desk)I want the inside dope on this guy! Has he got a family? Where does he live?


LOIS is taking notes, and finds a card with a personal message on it.


LOIS

(whispers aloud)

TONIGHT AT EIGHT

YOUR PLACE-

HOPEFULLY-

A FRIEND


SHOT of CLARK craning his neck to see what LOIS is doing.


ANGLE ON PERRY WHITE


PERRY

(walks around)

Tony, who is he?

(the REPORTER shrugs helplessly, PERRY moves on)

What's his name? What's he got hidden under that cape of his - batteries? (SHOT of LOIS looking over her shoulder, CLARK lowers his eyes) Why did he show up last night? (looks at another reporter) Dick. Where does he come from? (to LOIS) Does he have a girlfriend? (moves on) What's his favorite ball team, Kent? (CLARK opens his mouth, but too late PERRY is gone) Now listen to me! I tell you boys and girls - whichever one of you gets it out of him...is going to wind up with the single most important interview since... (grabs a cigar at his desk) God talked to Moses!


One of the reporters lights it for him. PERRY inhales deeply the looks around.


PERRY

What are you standing around about for? Move! Get on that story!


The reporters head for the door, CLARK fumbling with something for a moment. PERRY sits on his desk chewing his cigar, and reading the latest edition of his paper. The phone rings, but he ignores it.


INT. TERRACE OF LOIS' APARTMENT - NIGHT


LOIS, looking absolutely gorgeous in her best evening gown, stares wistfully up into the sky. She glances at her watch: it is 8.05 PM.


LOIS

(turns around to head back inside, says to herself)

Eight o'clock, he says eight o'clock. Eight o'clock. Hm. Some friend. (pours herself some wine) Story of my life. Cinderella bites the dust.


EXT. METROPOLIS - NIGHT


CAMERA PANS along the buildings and skyscrapers, then down to the TERRACE.


EXT. LOIS' APARTMENT - NIGHT


LOIS pours herself some wine and drinks as SUPERMAN lands at the edge of her terrace.


SUPERMAN

(arms crossed)

Good evening, Miss Lane.


LOIS almost chokes on the wine and whirls around in her seat


LOIS

Uh...h-hi!


SUPERMAN

Oh, I'm sorry. Did you have plans this evening?


LOIS

Oh.

(looks at gown)

Oh, this old thing... (gets up) no.


SUPERMAN

Well listen, it's no trouble at all for me to come back later-


LOIS

No! (rushes forward) Don't move! (stops) Um, err, sure you can move, just don't fly away, alright?


SUPERMAN smiles to himself, hops down onto the terrace, and walks forward.


SUPERMAN

Sorry to, uh, just drop in on you like this, Miss Lane, but I've been thinking. You know, there must be a lot of questions about me that people in the world would like to know the answers to...


LOIS

Of course. Yes. Uh...

(rushes to the terrace table and grabs a cigarette, lights up)


SUPERMAN

(sternly)

Uh, you really shouldn't smoke, you know, Miss Lane.


LOIS

(turns around with a smirk)

Don't tell me. Lung cancer, right?


INSERT SHOT - LOIS' LUNGS


Seen through SUPERMAN'S X-RAY vision: a shot of LOIS' lungs superimposed on her back.


ANGLE ON SUPERMAN


SUPERMAN

Well. Not yet, thank goodness.


SUPERMAN walks forward. LOIS blinks, puts out her cigarette.


LOIS

Um, um, would you like a glass of wine?


SUPERMAN

Uh, no, no thanks. I never drink when I fly.


INT. LOIS' APARTMENT - NIGHT


SUPERMAN

(seen in mirror)

Nice place.


EXT. TERRACE - NIGHT


LOIS

Oh thank you. Thank you. Um...should we get started with that interview?


She goes to sit down, there is an uncomfortable moment when he goes to get her chair.


LOIS

Oh, thank you.


Flustered, LOIS sits and starts to collect her thoughts as SUPERMAN sits down too.


LOIS

Well, ah, let's start with your vital statistics. Are you married? (looks up)


SUPERMAN

(almost scoffs)

Uh, no. No I'm not.


LOIS

Do you have a girlfriend?


SUPERMAN

Uh, no I don't, but uh, if I did Miss Lane you'd be the first to know about it.


LOIS

(pause, almost smirks)

Um, how old are you?


SUPERMAN.

Over 21.


LOIS

Oh, I get it, you don't want anyone to know. (SUPERMAN nods) Okay. And how big are you...how *tall* are you?


SUPERMAN

About six-four.


LOIS

Six-four, and, uh, how much do you weigh?


SUPERMAN

Around two, two-twenty five.


LOIS

Two-twenty five? (looks up, SUPERMAN shrugs) Mmm. Well, um, uh -I - I assume the rest of your bodily functions are...normal?


SUPERMAN

Sorry, beg your pardon?


LOIS

Well, putting it delicately. (long pause) Do you...eat?


SUPERMAN

Uh, yes. Yes I do. When I'm hungry.


LOIS

You do. (huge grin) Of course you do. (claps her hands) Well. (gets up, as does he and keeps writing) Well then. Uh. Is it true that, uh, you can see through anything?


SUPERMAN

Yes I can. Well, pretty much.


LOIS

(continues walking around planter)

And that you're, uh, totally impervious to pain?


SUPERMAN

Well, so far.


LOIS

(heads back towards him)

What color underwear am I wearing?


SUPERMAN

(looking)

Hmmm.


LOIS

Oh, I'm sorry, I embarrassed you, didn't I?


SUPERMAN

Oh, no...


LOIS

(interrupting, clutching her head)

I did.


SUPERMAN

...no, no, not at all, Miss Lane, it's just that this planter must be made of lead.


LOIS

Uh, yes it is. So?


SUPERMAN

Well, you see, I, uh, I sort of have a problem, seeing through lead.


LOIS

Oh, that's interesting. (writing) Problem seeing through lead. Hmmm. Uh, d-do you have a first name?


SUPERMAN

What do you mean, like, Ralph or something?


LOIS

No, no, I mean like...

(walks away from planter)


SUPERMAN

Pink.


LOIS

Huh?


SUPERMAN

Pink.


LOIS looks down, gets it, and walks back to the planter.


SUPERMAN

Um, sorry, Miss Lane, I didn't mean to embarrass *you*.


LOIS puts down her pad, flustered in spite of herself.


LOIS

(bad liar)

Oh, huh, you didn't embarrass me. Um, uh, what's your background? Where do you hail from?


SUPERMAN

(starts walking)

Well, that's kinda hard to explain, actually. See, I'm from, um, well, pretty far away. Another galaxy, as a matter of fact. I come from a planet called Krypton. (staring up at the sky)


LOIS

(looks confused)

Huh?


SUPERMAN

(looking back)

Krypton.


LOIS

(fakes it while writing)

Oh, Krypton! With a C-R-I...


SUPERMAN

(comes close)

No, a-actually, it's K-R-Y. Along with P-T-O-N.


LOIS

(writing)

K-R-Y...do you like pink?


SUPERMAN

I like pink very much, Lois.


LOIS

(smitten)

Why are you?


SUPERMAN

I'm sorry?


LOIS

I mean, w-why are you here? There must be a reason for you to be here.


SUPERMAN

(standing very close and looking into her eyes)

Yes. I'm here to fight for truth and justice and the American way.


LOIS

(laughs and walks away)

You're gonna end up fighting every elected official in this country!


SUPERMAN

I'm sure you don't really mean that, Lois.


LOIS

(staring at her apartment interior, says to herself)

I don't believe this...


SUPERMAN

Lois?


LOIS

Hmm?


SUPERMAN

I never lie.


LOIS

(blinks and nods, throwing down her cigarette pack)

Oh. Um....uh, oh! Just how fast do you fly, by the way?


SUPERMAN

Oh, I don't know really. 

Y'know, I've never actually, uh, bothered to time myself.


LOIS

Oh.


SUPERMAN

Say. Why don't we find out?


LOIS

And how do you propose we do that?


SUPERMAN

Take a ride with me?


LOIS

You mean I could fly? (giggles)


SUPERMAN

Well, actually, I'd be handling the flying if that's okay.


LOIS

This is utterly fantastic!


LOIS heads quickly back inside.


SUPERMAN

Wait, wait a minute, where are you going?


LOIS

Are you serious?


SUPERMAN

Sure. What's the matter, 

don't you wanna go? Okay. 

(grabs the pad and pen) 

Won't need these. 

(puts them on the TERRACE table)


LOIS

I mean. A sweater. 

It must be kind of cold?


SUPERMAN

You'll be warm enough.


SUPERMAN crosses over, smiles, takes her by the hand. He looks deeply into her eyes as they stop in the middle of the TERRACE.


SUPERMAN

Ready?


LOIS

(staring at him)

Clark...said that you're just a figment of somebody's imagination. 

Like Peter Pan.


SUPERMAN

Clark, uh. Who's that? 

Your boyfriend?


LOIS

Clark? Oh, Clark, no, he's nothing, he's just, uh...


SUPERMAN

Peter Pan, huh?


LOIS

Uh-huh.


SUPERMAN

Peter Pan flew with children, Lois. 

In a fairy tale.


No comments:

Post a Comment