Friday 9 July 2021

Ensign Sonya Gomez



SONYA: 
Hot chocolate, please.

LAFORGE: 
We don't ordinarily Say 'Please
to food dispensers around here.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD.

SONYA: 
Well, since it's listed as Intelligent Circuitry, why not

After all, working with so much Artificial Intelligence 
can be dehumanising, right? 

So, why not combat that tendency 
with a little simple courtesy

Thank You.

LAFORGE
For someone who just arrived, 
you certainly aren't shy with your opinions.

SONYA
Have I been talking too much?

LAFORGE
No.

SONYA
Oh, I do tend to have a bit of a motor mouth, 
especially when I'm excited. 

And you don't know how exciting it is 
to get This Assignment.

Everyone in class, I mean everyone
wants The Enterprise. 

I mean, it would have been alright 
to spend some time on Reiner Six 
doing phase work with anti-matter. 
That's My Specialty.

LAFORGE
I know. That's why you got this assignment.

SONYA
I did it again. It's just that -

LAFORGE
I know, you're excited. 
Look, Sonya —

SONYA
Yes.

LAFORGE
I don't think you want to be around these control stations 
with that hot chocolate, do you?

SONYA
Oh, I'm sorry. 
I shouldn't even have this in Engineering. 
It's just we were talking 
and I forgot I had it in my hand. 

I'm going to go finish it over here. 

Lieutenant La Forge? 
This is not going to happen again.

So she turns around and her drink collides with Captain Picard, going all over his uniform

SONYA: 
Oh, no! Oh, I'm sorry. Oh, Captain.

LAFORGE: 
Actually it's my fault, sir.

PICARD: 
Indeed.

SONYA: 
Oh, I wasn't looking. 
It's all over you.

PICARD: 
Yes, Ensign. It's all over me.

SONYA: 
At least let me, sir.

PICARD: 
Ensign er, Ensign?

SONYA:
Oh, Ensign Sonya Gomez.

LAFORGE: 
Ensign Gomez is a recent Academy graduate. 
She just transferred over at Starbase One Seventy Three.

PICARD: 
Is that so? Well, Ensign Sonya Gomez, 
I think it will be simpler 
if I simply change my uniform.

LAFORGE: 
Captain, I must accept responsibility for this.

PICARD: 
Yes, Chief Engineer. 
I think I understand.

SONYA: 
I just want to say, sir, that I'm very excited about this assignment 
and I promise to serve you and My Ship — Your Ship, This Ship, 
to the best of my ability.

PICARD: 
Yes, Ensign, I'm sure that you will. 
Carry on.

Picard leaves

SONYA: 
Oh, my. First impressions, right? 
Isn't that what they say? 
First impressions are the most important.

LAFORGE: 
I'll give you this — 
It's a meeting the Captain won't soon forget.


[Corridor]

LAFORGE: 
I read your graduating Thesis. 
Now, I wouldn't have requested you if you weren't The Best.

SONYA
Where are we going?

LAFORGE
Ten Forward. We're going to forget about Work. 
We are going to sit, talk, relax, look at The Stars. 
You need to learn how to slow down.

SONYA
Oh, no, no, no, no, no. 
I can't do.

LAFORGE: 
You know, you're awfully young 
to be so driven.

SONYA: 
Yes, I am. I had to be. 
I had to be The Best, 
because only The Best get to be Here.

 
 ..




[Outside Sickbay]

PICARD: 
Ensign, you're with me.

[Turbolift]

PICARD: 
Bridge. You are a certified pilot, Ensign?

SITO: 
Yes, sir.

[Ready room]

PICARD: 
How long have you served on board 
The Enterprise, Ensign?

SITO: 
Seven months, sir.

PICARD: 
I see. 
I understand that you've been recommended 
for the Ops position. 

Do you think you're up to it?

SITO: 
I do, sir.

PICARD: 
I'm not so sure. 
I'm concerned about your record.

SITO: 
Sir?

PICARD: 
The Incident that you were involved in at The Academy.

SITO: 
With all due respect that was three years ago. 
My record since then --

PICARD: 
It doesn't matter how long ago it was, Ensign. 
Would you do something like that again?

SITO: 
I can assure you, sir, that I would never, 
never jeopardise lives by participating in --

PICARD
A dare devil stunt? 
I would certainly hope not

What concerns me, is that you participated in a cover-up that impeded an Official Investigation into The Death of A Cadet.

SITO
Sir, I know I should have Told The Truth right from The Start --

PICARD
Yes, you should, but you didn't
Instead you joined with the others to pretended that was simply an accident. 

Now, what do you think that tells me about your character?

SITO
Sir, if you had any idea 
what it was like after that incident. 

I didn't have any friends. 
I didn't have anyone to talk to. 

I had to take my flight test with The Instructor, 
because no one else would be my partner

In a lot of ways it would have been easier 
to just walk away, but I didn't
I stuck with it. 

Doesn't that say something 
about My Character, too?

PICARD
Well I'm really very sorry 
you didn't enjoy your time at the Academy, Ensign. 

As far as I'm concerned, 
You should have been expelled 
for What You Did. 

Quite frankly, I don't know 
how you made it on board This Ship. 

You're dismissed.




Gymnasium]

(a martial arts class has just finished)
WORF: Dismissed. Ensign Sito.
SITO: Yes, sir.
WORF: I also teach an advanced class. I believe you may be ready to participate. However, before you can join the group, you must pass the gik'tal.
SITO: Gik'tal?
WORF: Yes. It is a very ancient Klingon ritual. It tests your knowledge of the forms of the mok'bara.
SITO: I should practice first.
WORF: No. No practise. That is part of the ritual. The test must be unannounced.
(Worf blindfolds her)
WORF: Can you see?
SITO: No.
WORF: Good. The gik'tal has begun. Defend yourself.
(of course, he easily throws her)
WORF: You must anticipate my attack.
SITO: Yes, sir.
WORF: Defend yourself.
(once again, she has no idea where he is before she lands on her back)
WORF: Are you listening, Ensign?
SITO: Yes, but
WORF: Defend yourself.
(and a third time)
WORF: You did not anticipate.
(Sito removes the blindfold)
SITO: How am I supposed to defend myself when I can't see a thing?
WORF: 
Stop making excuses. Replace The Blindfold.

SITO: 
No. It's not a Fair Test.

WORF: 
Very good, Ensign. 
You have passed The Challenge.

SITO: 
What? By taking off The Blindfold?

WORF: 
It takes courage 
to Say The Test is Unfair.

SITO: 
One thing I don't understand. 
Doesn't gik'tal mean 'to The Death'?

WORF: 
You speak Klingon.

SITO: 
Sir, is there really such a thing as a gik'tal challenge?

WORF: 
No, there is not. 
But perhaps next time you are judged unfairly, 
it will not take so many bruises for you protest.

[Ready room]

SITO: 
All I've ever wanted is to make a career for myself in Starfleet. 

I can't change what happened at the Academy. 
No one can

All I can do is work hard 
and try to earn the respect of the people I serve with. 

If you're not going to give me that chance, then I respectfully request that you transfer me to another ship.

PICARD: 
If you're looking for a more lenient commander, 
I don't think you'll find one.

SITO: 
Permission to speak freely, sir?

PICARD: 
Please do.

SITO
If you didn't want me on Your Ship 
you should have said so when I was assigned to it. 

It's not Your Place to punish me 
for What I Did at The Academy. 

I've worked hard here. 
My record is exemplary. 

If you're going to Judge me, 
Judge me for What I Am now.

PICARD: 
Very well, Ensign. I will. 

It took courage to come here 
and face me after what I said to you 
the other day. 

I didn't ask you here because I was assessing your qualifications for the Ops position.

SITO: 
I don't understand, sir.

PICARD: 
I was harsh with you 
because I wanted to assess you 
for a very important Mission. 

A Mission that could put you in a situation that would be far more unnerving than a dressing-down by your commanding officer.

SITO: 
Can I ask what that mission is, sir?
PICARD: Join the senior officers in the Observation lounge at oh nine hundred hours. We'll discuss it then.
SITO: Yes, sir.

PICARD: 
And, Ensign -- 

I do know why you ended up on The Enterprise. 
I asked for you. 

I wanted to make sure 
that you got A Fair Chance to redeem yourself.

SITO: 
Thank you, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment