Sunday 1 March 2020

COUNTERPART


Let’s talk about love.

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: 
Let’s talk about love, fine.

BILL MOYERS: 
But it’s such a vast subject, that if, in mythology, that if I had come to you and said, 
“Let’s talk about love, but where should we begin?” 
— what would your answer have been?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: 
I think my answer would have been the troubadours in the 12th century, let’s begin there.

BILL MOYERS: 
Why the troubadours?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: 
Well, because they’re the first ones in The West that really considered Love in the sense that we think of it now, as a person-to-person relationship.

BILL MOYERS:
You’re talking about romantic love?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: 
Yes. It’s the seizure that comes in recognizing as where your soul’s counterpart in the other person, and that’s what the troubadours stood for, and that has become the ideal in our lives today.





[Enterprise-E engineering]

BORG QUEEN : 

What's wrong Locutus? 
Isn't this familiar?

Organic minds are such fragile things. 
How could you forget me so quickly? 
We were very close, you and I. 
You can still hear our song
.
PICARD: 

Yes, ...I remember you. 
You were there all the time. 
But that ship and all the Borg on it were destroyed.

BORG QUEEN: 

You think in such three-dimensional terms. 
How small you've become. 
Data understands me. Don't you, Data?

(Data is standing in a Borg cubicle)

PICARD: 

What have you done to him?

BORG QUEEN: 

Given him what he always wanted, 
flesh and blood.

PICARD: 

Let him go. 
He's not the one you want.

BORG QUEEN: 

Are you offering yourself to us?

PICARD: 

Offering myself? ...That's it. I remember now.
It wasn't enough that you assimilate me.
I had to give myself freely to the Borg, ...to you.

BORG QUEEN:
You flatter yourself.
I've overseen the assimilation of countless millions.
You were no different.

PICARD:
You're lying. You wanted more than just another Borg drone.
You wanted a human being with a mind of his own, who could bridge the gulf between humanity and the Borg.
You wanted a counterpart, but I resisted. I fought you.

BORG QUEEN:

You can't begin to imagine the life you denied yourself.

PICARD:
It's not too late.
Locutus could still be with you, just in the way you wanted. An equal.
Let Data go and I will take my place at your side, willingly without any resistance.

BORG QUEEN:
Such a noble creature.
A quality we sometimes lack.
We will add your distinctiveness to our own. 


Welcome home, ...Locutus.
...Data, you are free to go.



PICARD:

Data, go.

DATA:
No. I do not wish to go.

BORG QUEEN:
As you can see I have already found an equal.









No comments:

Post a Comment