Monday 23 March 2020

Morgan’s Folk — Clan MoMo, The House of Morgan



Et non abscondam, sed numquid currere queunt. 
You Can Hide, But You Can’t Run.



JOHN DORIE :
(crickets chirping
( fire crackling ) 
( rustling ) 
Someone there? 
I mean not one of The Past? 
( clears throat ) 

I haven't used my voice in a while.
Uham I talkin' loud? I am.
Maybe, sir or madam, you are not there, but it is something to hear your voice after a bit.
Just saying words.

Platypus.
Pasta.
Potable.

Hmm.
If you are there, you can come out.
We can sit.
Split a can of Pecos strawberries.
Have a little badinage, my mama used to say.
That's just a fancy word for chat.
It's been - I don't know maybe a year.
( clears throat
I had a place where I was before.
I had a good metric ton of popcorn.
I've still got a lot.
I could make some.

I just read books.
I - I watched movies mostly.
But I read-- I read books now.
I got a few with me if you have a need for reading material.
( sighs
Well since there is no one there hmm before I go quiet again for maybe another year I might as well tell you that I-- I did talk to someone.

She wasn't just someone.
She came to my door.
Just showed up.
I let her stay.
And we fell - We had feelings for each other.

One day we allowed it.
One day.

I just thought I'd say that.
'Cause I supposed I would see it when I said it.
And I did.
And that was nice.
There ain't been a lot of nice.
( growling )
( gunshot ) 
( thud ) So What's Your Story? 




( pounding on door
Jesus: 
If you're gonna hit me with your stick, don't open the door.
Well, you know if you're gonna try.
( sighs
Looks like you've settled in out here.
I thought maybe we could continue our acquaintance.
"Here" and "there" are just labels.
It's all one place.
You could do all this somewhere else.
Or well in the same place somewhere else.
( Morgan chuckles
Come on.
The reason we fought is 'cause you wanted to protect people.
You care about people.
You should be with them.
( pounding on door ) 

Carol:
It's me.
Come back to The Kingdom.
You helped me.
You did.
Let me help you.
I don't want to tell you what to do.
( sighs
But You Know Who I am 
and 
I Know Who You Are.


You belong with people who care about you.

( banging on door ) 

Rick :
Come on, Morgan! 
You can hide but you can't run.
Look, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you.
I wouldn't.

I was hurt.
( sighs
You brought me in.
You didn't have to.
Morgan, you don't have a gunshot in your side, but you are hurt.
Come back with me.
Don't wait this time.
Don't waste one more second.
You're alive.
You're part of The World.
Look, I'm here now-- a lot of people are here now-- because you helped me.
Right at The Beginning.

That's not me anymore, Rick.

It is.
You'll end up with people one way or another.
You're connected.
It'll be a shout from outside that door.
Me askin' for help -- Maggie.
You're a part of The World already.
You'll find your way back to it, 'cause it will find its way back to you, so just come back.
( chuckles ) 
Well, like I said, you can hide but you can't run.
( door clanks, hinges creak ) 
( door closes ) ( bird squawks in distance ) 

RICK: 
Thanks for lettin' me in.
You don't have to be out here.
I came for you before.


( voices echo ) 

Don't wait this time.
Don't waste one more second.
You're alive.
Thanks for lettin' me in.
You can hide but you can't run.
You know what it is.
You know what it is.

MAN IN CAR : 
Take that shit home.
- Take it back! 

MORGAN :
I'm just trying to help.
Looked like you were on your own.

MAN IN CAR:
We're always on our own.
Shut the door.

JOHN DORRIE :
: I just thought I'd say that.
And I supposed I would see it when I said it.
- ( growling ) - ( man continues ) ( gunshot ) 


So what's your story? 

MORGAN :
I'm just passin' through.


 JOHN DORRIE :
Well, why don't you come on and sit a spell? 
I don't know how much you heard, but I-- 
It's been a while since I talked to someone.
I'm John.
John Dorie, like the fish.
But I-E, no Y.


MORGAN :
Morgan.


Morgan.
Are you hungry, Morgan? 'Cause I could cook you something.
I got beans and I got beans.
No, thank you.
Hey.
( wrapper crinkling ) It's tasty.
No.
Where you from? Back east.
- You walk? - I ran.
( chuckles ) Hey.
In your travels, did you, uh come across a woman carrying a pistol like this? Identical, in point of fact.
I've been looking for her for some time.
Not seen anybody like that.
I'm gonna go.
Wait-- Hey, there-- there's no sense in settin' out this time of night.
Why don't you take the back of the truck? I'll take the cab.
Or vice versa.
I think having a covered place to lay your head would give you some relief.
Having come as far as you have.

Yeah.

( Dorie snoring ) ( snoring continues ) ( cab door closes ) ( object strikes ) 


I got nobody to tell.
I don't know anybody here.
Don't wanna know anybody.
- ( gunshot ) - ( man groans ) - ( gun clicks ) - John: I got no beef with you gentlemen.
I'm just lookin' out for my friend.



Hey, thanks for givin' us a hand back there.
Al, is it? 

Althea, actually.


There's a candy for you.



Thank you.




John: Ho.
- You're quick.
- I am.
Well, easy there, cowboy.
- ( bag unzips ) - I didn't save you so I could kill you.
I just want to ask you a few questions.
- Questions? - Yeah.
What you've seen.
Who you've met.
Where you've been.
Where you're going.

JOHN DORRIE :
Why? 

It's for a story.
I'm a journalist.
You were alone at the cabin.

JOHN DORRIE :
Yeah.
- Before Lauren showed up? 


JOHN DORRIE :
Laura.


Right.
Sorry.

JOHN DORRIE :
Nope.
Nobody.
I talked to myself a lot.
But I had to quit.


Al: 
Why? 

JOHN DORRIE :
Because I started enjoying that conversation too much!
( chuckles ) 


What else can you tell me about Laura? 
In case we ever cross paths.


JOHN DORRIE :
Mm she enjoyed a Black Jack.


Card player.

JOHN DORRIE :
Taffy.
Licorice.
I never much cared for 'em before.


And now? 



JOHN DORRIE :
I don't mind 'em.

You think you'll find her? 


JOHN DORRIE :

I know I will.
How exactly did you get split up? 

JOHN DORRIE :
( inhales ) 
Um, I'm afraid that's not a very happy story.


Most aren't nowadays.

JOHN DORRIE :
Ours will be.
This one will be.
Once we find our way back to each other.
Was that? 




Great.
Thank you.

JOHN DORRIE :
Sure.
How about you? 
How long you been on the road? 



What does it matter? 
These questions-- There's no news stations left.


I saved you.
Noodles and effort.
You owe me.
No.
I don't need that.
I need your story.
Al: What brought you out here? You goin' somewhere? - Getting away from something-- - I didn't ask you to save me.
I'm gonna go.
Or are you saying I can't? 


John: 
 Hold up.
Hold up, friend.
Hey, you've been held at gunpoint with somebody, I think you earned the right to call him friend.



I don't want to answer any more questions.
I just want to be left be.

JOHN DORRIE :
Well, I just want to give you something.
OK? Clean socks.
Worth their weight in gold.
'Course, gold ain't worth much nowadays.
I seen the pair you was wearing 'round the campfire.
I think it's time for an upgrade.


Thanks.
Apologies about the corn.
Especially since they're for your feet.
You sure you're gonna be all right out there on your own? This World we're always on our own.
Wait.
Wait.

Thanks for the assist.
That guy-- that was a unique kind of asshole.
But I did not want to kill anybody today.
( grunting ) - Anyone know what that 51 means? - Al: Markers like that had been popping up around here the last few weeks, but never anyone around to ask but the dead.
The dead? I call 'em the passed.
Call 'em walkers where I'm from.
Look at that.
A piece of personal history.
You still owe me.
Then pull over.


Al:
 Your name? 

Morgan Jones.
Where do you come from? 


Atlanta and, um then Virginia.

How'd you get here? 

I ran.
Then I walked, drove walked again.

Were you part of a settlement in Virginia? 

A couple.
Can you tell me about them? 
( chuckles ) 
One of them was called Alexandria, 
and then there was a place called The Kingdom.
Actually had-- had a king.



A king? 


( laughs )
Even had a pet tiger.



( laughs ) 
( John chuckles ) 

All right, we're gonna have to sidebar that one.
These settlements, were they good places to live? 
They were safe places.
Good people inside.
I had been with some of them for a while.
It-- 

Al: 
What happened? 


There was a fight.
With another group.
It was a big, big group.
We won.

But you didn't stay.

I already left before I left.
I don't understand.
Did they do something? 
Or did you? 


I told you things, and that was the trade.
You told me you were with good people in Virginia, and then you left.
Why? Were you trying to get something? Get away from something? How about you tell me about you? Like, um, how'd you get this van? And why asking total strangers questions like this is so important to you.
Huh? - Look, I saved your ass.
- And we saved yours.
Well I want to thank you both for your help.
But I think it's time that I was going on my way.
- What about your leg? - No, I'm fine.
- Morgan.
- Man, I told you I'm fine.
Tell me one real thing, then we'll call it even.
Why'd you leave Virginia? ( sniffles ) I lose people and then I lose myself.
( staff thudding on ground )


JOHN DORRIE :
You were wrong what you said before about bein' on your own.
( sighs ) 
Here.
( groans )
 There you go.
OK? 


Thank you.


Morgan.
That walker-- I need to know.
All right.
Hey, hey! All right.
Wait, wait.
Wait.
All right.
Give it to me.
Come on.
All right.
Thank you.
( growling ) OK.
( growling ) ( taps ground with staff ) ( snarls ) ( inhales, exhales ) 


John: 
I'm glad we found you.
I'm just travelin' with you till this leg heals up.
And no more questions.
I'm not gonna stop asking you questions.
Especially about that tiger.
- No more answers, then.
- ( laughs ) Fair play.
Come on.
It's tasty.
Where we headed? 
Well, Al took me back to my truck, but it wouldn't start.
Now she's taking me to look for Laura.
In exchange for more of his story.
That's right.
That's right.
I don't know if I'll find her.
I don't.
I just don't think about it that far 'cause it don't do me no good.
But I recognize it as Truth.
Truth is something you can't get around.
No, you can't.
- There's somebody up ahead.
- What? John: Oh, come on.
( John grunts ) Thought you said there weren't a lot of people 'round these parts.
There aren't.
( air brakes hiss ) ( engine shuts off ) - Take this.
- Can't.
I don't kill.
( chuckles ) 
Come on, dude, you gotta answer some of my questions at some point.
I don't kill either.
At least I try not to.

Great moment for both of you to share this fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment