Friday 6 March 2020

HUGH : The First Millennial Boy

Hugh interfaced with the others and transferred his sense of individuality to them. 

It nearly destroyed them. 

O Pirates, yes, they rob I
Sold I to the merchant ships
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pits

“We’ve actually been deluding ourselves in a lot of ways.

Beyond that, I found we’ve actually been deluding ourselves in the worst way of all by •believing• in The Individual.

• Stay with me on this. •


JANIS IAN :
How do you spell your name again, Caddie?

CADY (Prounounced ‘Kay-Dee’) HERON :
It's ‘Cady’. C-A-D-Y.

JANIS IAN :
— Yeah, I'm gonna call you ‘Caddie’.






[Ten Forward]

LAFORGE: 
You know, it's funny. 
When I first creating this invasive programme I didn't have a problem with it. The more I work with Hugh, the more I -

GUINAN: 
Hugh?

LAFORGE: 
That's what we call him.

GUINAN: 
You named the Borg? 

LAFORGE: 
Well, it was easier to have something to call him.

GUINAN: 
Oh, so now you have a Borg named Hugh.

LAFORGE: 
Right. And he's nothing like what I expected.
GUINAN: How so?
LAFORGE: I don't know. It's like he's just some kid who's far way from home.
GUINAN: Do you know that you're the second person today to refer to that Borg as though it were some sort of lost child.
LAFORGE: Anyway, I'm having second thoughts about what we're doing here. I mean, programming him like some sort of walking bomb. Sending him back to destroy the others.
GUINAN: Let me tell you something. When that kid's big brothers come looking for him, they're not going to stop until they find him. And then they're going to come looking for us, and they will destroy us. And they will not do any of the soul-searching that you are apparently doing right now.
LAFORGE: Then why don't you go and talk to him. It might not be so clear cut then.
GUINAN: Because I wouldn't have anything to say.
LAFORGE: Then why don't you just listen? That is what you do best, isn't it?

[Brig]

GUINAN: You don't look so tough.
BORG: We are Borg.
GUINAN: Aren't you going to tell me you have to assimilate me?
BORG: You wish to be assimilated?
GUINAN: No, but that's what you things do, isn't it?
(a nod) 
GUINAN: Resistance is futile. 
BORG: Resistance is futile.
GUINAN: It isn't. My people resisted when the Borg came to assimilate us. Some of us survived.
BORG: Resistance is not futile? 
GUINAN: No. But thanks to you, there are very few of us left. We're scattered throughout the galaxy. We don't even have a home any more. 
BORG: What you are saying is that you are lonely.
GUINAN: What?
BORG: You have no others. You have no home. We are also lonely.

[Science lab]

BORG: What is Geordi doing?
LAFORGE: I'm studying the components in your prosthesis.
BORG: Why?
LAFORGE: We're trying to learn more about you.
BORG: Why?
LAFORGE: Because you're different than we are. Part of what we do is to learn more about other species.
BORG: We assimilate species. Then we know everything about them.
LAFORGE: Yeah. I know.
BORG: Is that not easier?
LAFORGE: Maybe it is. It's just not what we do.
BORG: Why?
LAFORGE: All right, think of it this way. 
Every time you talk about yourself, you use the word we. 
We want this, we want that. 
You don't even know how to think of yourself as a single individual. 

[ He isn’t. ]


You don't say
“I want this”, 
or 
“I am Hugh.”

We are all separate individuals. 

“I am Geordi.”

“I choose what I want to do with my life.”

“I make decisions for myself. For somebody like me, losing that sense of individuality is almost worse than dying.”

BORG: 
When you sleep, there are no other voices in your mind?

LAFORGE: 
No.
[ YES. ]

BORG: 
Are you ever lonely?

LAFORGE: 
Sometimes. But that's why we have friends.

BORG: 
Friends?

LAFORGE: 
Sure. Someone you talk to, who will be with you when you're lonely. 

Someone who makes you feel better.

BORG: 
Like Geordi and Hugh.





No comments:

Post a Comment