Monday 9 December 2019

I Refused to Be a Fool







THE GODFATHER WAS BORN VITO ANDOLINI IN THE TOWN OF CORLEONE IN SICILY. 

IN 1901 HIS FATHER WAS MURDERED FOR AN INSULT TO THE LOCAL MAFIA CHIEFTAIN. 

HIS OLDER BROTHER PAOLO SWORE REVENGE AND DISAPPEARED INTO THE HILLS, LEAVING VITO, THE ONLY MALE HEIR, TO STAND WITH HIS MOTHER AT THE FUNERAL. 

HE WAS NINE YEARS OLD. 





MICHAEL (reaching over, touching his father)
What's the matter? What's bothering you?

(then, after the Don doesn't answer)

I'll handle it. I told you I can handle it, I'll handle it. 


VITO CORLEONE (as he stands)

I knew that Santino was going to have to go through all this. And Fredo -- well --

(then, after he sits besides Michael)

-- Fredo was -- well -- But I never -- I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life, I don't apologise, to take care of my family. And I refused -- to be a fool -- dancing on the string, held by all those -- bigshots. I don't apologize -- that's my life -- but I thought that -- that when it was your time -- that -- that you would be the one to hold the strings. Senator - Corleone. Governor - Corleone, or something... 


MICHAEL

Another pezzonovante... 


VITO CORLEONE

Well -- this wasn't enough time, Michael. Wasn't enough time... 


MICHAEL

We'll get there, Pop -- we'll get there... 


VITO CORLEONE

Uh...

(then, after kissing Michael on the cheek)

Now listen -- whoever comes to you with this Barzini meeting -- he's The Traitor. Don't forget that. 





No comments:

Post a Comment