Wednesday 20 April 2022

First Impressions



Q.: 
Thou are notified that Thy Kind 
hath infiltrated The Galaxy too far already. 
Thou art directed to return 
to Thine Own Solar System immediately

PICARD
That's quite a directive. 
Would you mind identifying 
What You Are? 

Q.: 
We call ourselves The Q. 

Or Thou Mayst Call Me That. 
It's all much the same thing. 

I Present My Self to Thee as a fellow Ship's Captain, 
that Thou Mayst better understand me.
 
Go Back whence Thou camest. 




PICARD :
I've got something here to take care of. 
[KNOCKS ON DOOR] 

Renée? 

She's fine. All quiet. 
No sign of Q or the new one. 
For now. 

PICARD :
Soong. 

Picard. You saved her. 

PICARD :
I feel you and I just made a quantum leap past personal boundaries. 
Well, mine, without doubt. 

Well... How about I give you this much? 

PICARD :
Romulan..!!I knew it! 
You could be an ancestor. 


Usually, we're recruited to watch over our own. 
But, on occasion, a similar species. 

PICARD :
That technology could be very useful. 

It has its limitations — 
Once I switch it off, I can't use it again for eight hours. 
Now, I've gotta walk around all day 
Hiding My Truth. 
Are you all right? 

PICARD :
Oh, yeah. We're losing time. 
Doing more harm than good.
The Mission, Renée... 

I'm not talking about The Mission. 
All of that was part of Q's plan? 
That you experience that? 
That you relive those memories? 

PICARD :
I have to take that onboard. 

You know there's more 
to That Story, don't you? 

PICARD :
Whatever it is, it is irrelevant with what we are trying to fix. 

Not if he wants you to know it. 

PICARD :
"There is no better teacher than one's enemy". 
But I've been letting Him 
control The Lessons. 
"Know thyself". 
That's what he wanted. 
Know myself. 

What if The Lesson I take is... 
Know Him. 

I'm not sure I'm following. 


PICARD :
I always filed Q. as ‘unknowable’. 
But here he is, so late in My Life, 
still fixated on me

He needs this trial to happen. 
He's saying it's about me, 
but it's deeply personal and urgent to him
If we understand why that is
we can go on offense. 

That sounds like you wanna summon Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment