Friday 1 April 2022

Full-Brainiac







[Fajo's den]
(Data is trying to get into the wall safe when -) 


VARRIA
If I help you escape, 
will you take me with you? 
He's sleeping, 
and there isn't much time.


DATA
The consequences if we are caught 
—

VARRIA
I know the consequences. 
Fourteen years. 
You learn a few things. 
There's an escape pod 
in the aft cargo bay. 


(She opens the safe and takes the disruptor)

[Jovis Cargo bay]

DATA
Perhaps I should attempt to communicate with the Enterprise. 


VARRIA
You can't. Fajo has 
communications access 
restricted to The Bridge. 

Once we're out, the shuttlepod will emit an emergency beacon. 

We'll just have to hope 
somebody responds before 
Fajo is able to destroy us. 


DATA
I am trained in evasive manoeuvres. 


VARRIA
We'll need a few. Let's get going. 
As soon as I start 
the escape sequence, 
an alarm will sound. 
We won't have much time. 


(Data gets in The Pod, Varria goes to a control station and presses buttons. The alarm sounds, a man runs in. She points the disrupter at him, then is jumped from behind by another crewman and disarmed. Man number one cancels the sequence while Data rescues Varria. Data ends up throwing both men across the bay. They go to start again, when Fajo enters. The disrupter is lying on the floor. Varria dives for it but lands short. Fajo aims another disrupter at her. For a moment, he starts to turn away, then fires. Varria screams for several seconds before she finally disintegrates. Data comes out of the pod) 


FAJO
It's your fault. 
You knew the price 
for disobedience. 
And so did she. 

Well, there's always 
another Varria.

(Data picks up the disrupter and points it at Fajo) 


FAJO
You won't hurt me. 
Fundamental respect 
for all living beings. 
That is what you said. 
I'm a living beingtherefore 
you can't harm me. 


DATA
You will surrender yourself 
to The Authorities. 


FAJO
Or what? You'll fire? 
Empty threat and 
we both know it. 

Why don't you 
accept your fate

You will return to your chair 
and you will sit there. 

You will entertain me 
and you will entertain 
my guests

And if you do not, 
I will simply kill 
Somebody Else

Him, perhaps. It doesn't matter. 
Their blood will be 
on your hands too, 
just like poor Varria's. 

Your only alternative, Data, 
is to fire. Murder me. 

That's all you have to do. 
Go ahead. Fire. 
If only you could feel 
rage over Varria's death. 
If only you could feel 
the need for revenge
then maybe you could fire. 

But you're just an android. 
You can't feel anything, can you? 
It's just another interesting intellectual puzzle for you. 
Another of life's curiosities. 



Data Does The Calculation.


DATA
I cannot permit this 
to continue. 


(He levels the disrupter at Fajo again) 


FAJO
Wait. Your programme 
won't allow you to fire. 
You cannot fire. No. 


(A transporter beam takes hold of Data)

[Transporter room]

O'BRIEN
I'm reading a weapon 
in transit with Commander Data. 
It seems to have 
discharged, sir. 


RIKER
Discharged? 


O'BRIEN
I'm deactivating it. 


RIKER
Welcome back, Mister Data. 
Are you all right? 


DATA: 
Yes, Commander. 
Please arrange to take Kivas Fajo 
into custody on charges 
of murder, kidnapping, theft. 


RIKER
The arrangements have 
already been made. 


DATA
A Varon-T disruptor. 
It belongs to Fajo. 


RIKER
Mister O'Brien says the weapon 
was in a state of discharge. 


DATA
Perhaps something occurred during transport, Commander.

[Brig]

FAJO
Oh, have you come to see me to repent? 
Is this your final satisfaction? 
Want to see me beg for mercy? 
You're not going to get any of that from me. 

DATA
I expected nothing. 

FAJO
Our roles are reversed, 
aren't they, Data? 
You're The Collector now. 
Me, I'm in A Cage. 


DATA
So it seems. 


FAJO
Just don't count me out too quickly. 
I had you in my collection once. 
I can have you there again. 

DATA
Unlikely, sir. 
Your collection has been confiscated. 
All of your stolen possessions are being returned to their rightful owners. 
You have lost everything 
you value. 


FAJO: 
It must give you great pleasure. 


DATA
No, sir, it does not. 
I do not feel pleasure. 
I am only an android.

No comments:

Post a Comment