Sunday 3 April 2022

THE BROOD



The making of David Cronenberg's THE BROOD


There is a fully-grown man rolling around 
on The Floor in a 1970s tracksuit.

Come in. Right in.
Sit down. I'll be right there.
Sit down. I'll be there in a second.
Goddamn son of a bitch.

Okay. That's my... Heart, 
over there on the floor.

Your heart?


My Second Heart.
Your First Heart makes 
your blood circulate, right?
But what about your 
lymphatic fluids?

I don't know.

Movement, walking and running,
 fucking, rolling on the floor, anything --

People have this whole 
other system they don't 
even know about :
The lymphatic system, 
it's like the blood system...
with its own style of 
veins and arteries...
but no heart.

You have to keep moving 
to get it to circulate.
And They've just given me pills.
They do that every day.
And I've got to move them 
through the lymphatic system.

Goddamn it.
Pardon my sweat.
I'm gonna take a bath, real soon.
So, Mr. Carveth, how did you get my name?

My lawyer knows your lawyer.

I see. I get it.
Is your lawyer preparing a case 
against Raglan, too?

Basically, yes.
Slightly different from yours.

How different?

My Wife is still in therapy with Raglan.
I'm claiming psychological damage,
not physiological.

I see. Give him some 
more time with your wife...
and you'll be able to claim 
physiological damage, too.

Wouldn't this look 
impressive in court?

[ He shows a MASSIVE Grey Cist across His Neck. ]

Do you like it? I do.
That's Raglan. That's psychoplasmics...
and it's called lymphosarcoma.
And it's spreading.

It's a form of cancer of the lymphatic system.

You blame Raglan for that?

Raglan did it.
Raglan encouraged my body 
to revolt against me.
And it did.

I have a small revolution 
on my hands and 
I'm not putting it down 
very successfully.

Then your lawyer really thinks 
he can prove Raglan's responsible?

Are you kidding me?
You can't prove something 
like that in court.

Right from square one,
you're into, what, ‘metaphysics’?
“How do you know I'm not going 
to get cancer at age 32 
whether I'd gone into 
psychoplasmics therapy or not?”
No, we'd get laughed out of court.

Then why are you going into court?

Revenge. Even if we lose, 
people will get nervous 
about psychoplasmics.
It will be bad publicity.

They won't even remember 
whether we won or lost --
They'll just remember the slogan :
"Psychoplasmics can cause cancer."

Catchy.
Is that going to help?

MaybeI'm not alone.
I'm in touch with a lot of people 
who did psychoplasmics.
We might form a club.
I want to help you.

Okay. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment