Wednesday 3 April 2019

Kal'Hya





WORF
By Tradition, The Klingon Man spends 
the four nights before his wedding 
on a mental and spiritual journey. 

It is called Kal'Hyah
The Path of Clarity

And he is accompanied 
by his closest male friends.

MARTOK
You cannot imagine the experience that awaits us —
Four long nights filled with 
song and fellowship

A time of unbridled pleasures.

O'BRIEN
Are we talking about A Bachelor Party?

WORF
It is a similar ritual.

BASHIR
That's good enough for me.

O'BRIEN
Me too.

SISKO
Count me in.

WORF
We will meet in the holosuite tomorrow night at twenty one hundred hours.

MARTOK
I advise you all to get plenty of rest.

BASHIR
Four nights at a Klingon bachelor party. 
Just think of the possibilities.

O'BRIEN
Thank God Keiko's not here.

(O'Brien and Bashir leave.)

SISKO: 
I wonder what Dax will be doing while we're travelling down Kal'Hyah?

MARTOK
She will be taking a different journey  — 
with My Wife.

SISKO
Your Wife?


[Holosuite cave]

(Dark, with a central fire and lit by flaming torches.)

BASHIR
I could do without the heat. 
I can't say much for the decor either.

O'BRIEN
Well, it can't be all fun and games. 
I'm sure there has to be some sort of ritual 
we have to go through before The Party begins. 

…there is going to be A Party, isn't there?

ALEXANDER
You're asking me
I can barely Say My Name 
in Klingon.

MARTOK: 
Prepare yourselves, my friends, for a journey you won't soon forget.

WORF
These are Ma'Stakas.

(Worf hands out staves with big balls on the end.)

BASHIR: 
What do we do with them?

MARTOK: 
At the conclusion of the wedding ceremony, you will use them to attack Worf and Dax.

O'BRIEN: 
Obviously. Don't you know anything?

WORF: 
The Tradition dates back to the wedding of Kahless and Lukara, 
who were nearly killed by Molor's troops moments after they were married.
Until the ceremony, you should keep them with you at all times.

SISKO: 
I Trust that this combat is non-lethal?

MARTOK: 
It is a symbolic attack only.

(Alexander has found the buffet table.)

WORF
The Food is not to be eaten.

ALEXANDER
Then what is it for?

WORF
It is here to tempt us into breaking our fast.

SISKO
Fast?

WORF
There are Six Trials we must face on the path to Kal'Hyah. 
This is the first, Deprivation

We now begin A Fast 
that will continue until 
the day of the wedding.

BASHIR
That's four days away.

MARTOK
It is a short time, I know, 
but we must make the best of it.

SISKO
What are the other five trials?

WORF
Blood, Pain, Sacrifice, 
Anguish and Death.

BASHIR
Sounds like Marriage all right.

O'BRIEN
How would you know?

WORF
It is time to begin.

• • • • • • •

(Alexander has passed out.)

BASHIR
Alexander?

ALEXANDER
Grandma?

BASHIR
Guess again.

ALEXANDER
We're still on the —

BASHIR
The Road to Kal'Hyah
Day Five-Hundred.

O'BRIEN
Maybe we should turn down The Heat, 
you know, for Alexander's sake.

ALEXANDER
No, it's okay. 
I just need some water.

BASHIR
Now you don't want to push yourself too hard. 
You know, turning down The Heat might be a good idea.

MARTOK
The whole point is to push yourself 
to the limits of your endurance.

ALEXANDER
I Will. I want to Travel 
The Entire Path to Kal'Hyah
Stoke The Fire again!

WORF
As you wish.

MARTOK
Of course, we cannot expect 
you non-Klingons to have the same stamina as we do. 
If you wish to quit, 
no one will think any less of you.

BASHIR
Who said anything about quitting?

SISKO
Not me.

O'BRIEN
I like the heat.

MARTOK: 
That's The Spirit! 
(sings) 
Kavek ko lee ko

MARTOK + WORF
Eh to che mah lo Tah oo-wah kah esh to pah deh ah re! 
Yah bosh-ah! Yah bosh-ah!, Yah bosh tomah!



(Bashir and O'Brien are hanging in manacles from a rope stretched across the cave.)

BASHIR: 
Miles?

O'BRIEN: 
Yeah?

BASHIR: 
It's working. 
I've had a vision about the future. 
I can see it so clearly.

O'BRIEN: 
What is it?

BASHIR
I'm going to Kill Worf. 
I'm going to Kill Worf. 
That's What I'm Going to Do. 
I can see it clearly now. 
I'm going to Kill him. Kill him.

O'BRIEN
Kill Worf. 
Kill Worf.



[Quark's]

(Dinner is served.)

QUARK: 
One steak with mushrooms, baked potato, sour cream and chives.

O'BRIEN: 
I should've had that.

QUARK: 
One double Altair sandwich, no mustard, two bowls of linguini, Bajoran shrimp and extra cheese. 
One loaf of mapa bread.

BASHIR: 
Quark, where's the kava juice?

QUARK: 
They're still squeezing the roots. Unless you want replicated?

BASHIR: 
We'll wait.

SISKO: 
What do you think you're doing?

O'BRIEN: 
The wedding's been called off.

SISKO: 
It's back on.

MARTOK: 
Worf is apologising to Jadzia at this very moment.

SISKO: 
Quark, take it all away. 
No food for those on the path to Kal'Hyah!

QUARK: 
No refunds for those on the path to Kal'Hyah as well. Sorry.

(Worf enters.)

ALEXANDER
Father, what happened?

WORF
She refused to not Change Her Mind. 
The Wedding is still off.

(The decorations start to come down again.)

SISKO
Where is she?

WORF
In her quarters.

SISKO
I'll go talk to her. 
Just keep them away from The Food.

No comments:

Post a Comment