Tuesday 9 April 2019

FARTHER



[After Kal-El and Lois sleep together in the Fortress of Solitude, Kal-El addresses the image of his father, Jor-El]

Jor-El: 
The people of Your Planet are well pleased with you, Kal-El. 
You have served them faithfully and they are grateful for it. 

And yet you have returned to reason with me once again. 

My son, I have tried to anticipate your ever question. This is one I'd... hoped you would not ask.

Kal-El: 
My attatchments, um, the feelings which I have developed for a certain human being have deeply affected me, Father.

Jor-El: 
You CANNOT serve humanity by investing your time and emotion in one human being at the expence of the rest. 

The concepts are mutally exclusive.

Kal-El: 
And if I no longer wish to serve humanity...

Jor-El: 
Is this how you repay their gratitude? By abandoning the weak, the defenceless, the needy for the sake of you selfish pursuits?

Kal-El: 
Selfish!? After all I've done for them? 
Will there ever come a time when I've served enough? At least they get a chance for happiness. I only ask as much, no more.


Jor-El: 
Yours is a higher happiness. 
The fulfillment of your mission, as inspiration you must have felt. 
You must have felt that happiness within you. 
My Son, surely you cannot deny that feeling.


Kal-El: 
No, I cannot... any more than I can deny the other, which is stronger in me, Father. 

[ Yeah, Now... ]




So much stronger. 
Is there no way then, Father? 
Must I finally be denied the one thing in life which I truly desire?

[ YES. ]
Jor-El: 
If you will not be Kal-El, if you will live as one of them, love their kind as one of them, then it follows that you must become one of them. 

This crystal chamber has in it the harnessed rays of The Red Sun of Krypton. 

Once exposed to them all your great powers on Earth will disappear... forever. 
Once this is done, there's no going back. 

You will feel like an ordinary man 
and you can be harmed like an ordinary man. 

Think, Kal-El, I beg you.

Kal-El: 
[with Defiance]
Father... I love her.

Jor-El: 
Think, Kal-El.

Think.

[He Doesn’t - Kal-El steps into the chamber]





Father? If you can hear me, I failed. I failed you, I failed myself, and... and all humanity. I traded my birthright for a life submission in a world that's ruled by your enemies. There's nobody left to help them now... the people of the world... not since I... 

FATHER!!

Jor-El: 
Listen carefully, my son, 
for we shall never speak again. 
If you hear me now then you have made use of the only means left in you: 

The crystal source through which our communications begun. 

The circle is now complete. 

You have made a dreadful mistake, Kal-El. 
You did this of your own free will in spite of all I could say to dissuade you.

Clark Kent: 
I, uh...

Jor-El: 
Now, you have returned to me for one last chance to redeem yourself. 

This too finally I have anticipated, my son.
Clark Kent: Father, no...

Jor-El: 
Look at me, Kal-El. Once before when you were small, I died while giving you a chance for life. And now, even though it will exhaust the final energy left within me- 
Look at me, Kal-El. 

The Kryptonian prophecy will be at once fulfilled. 
The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. 

Farewell forever, Kal-El. 

Remember me, My Son.













No comments:

Post a Comment