Wednesday 10 April 2019

NOT WISELY, BUT WELL




Here's to those who love not wisely, 
no, not wisely, but too well
To the girl who sighs with envy 
When she hears that wedding bell
To the guy who'd throw a party 
if he knew someone to call



Here's to The Losers, 
Bless Them All




BUFFY: 
What's going on?

SPIKE: 
Simple. I'm gonna prove something. (moves up close to her) I love you.

Buffy closes her eyes and grimaces in disgust.

BUFFY: 
Oh my god.

SPIKE: 
No, look at me! (grabs her chin and forces her to look at him) I ... love you. (Buffy jerks her chin out of his hand) You're all I bloody think about. Dream about. You're in my gut ... my throat ... I'm drowning in you, Summers, I'm drowning in you.

Dru begins to laugh. Spike turns.

SPIKE: I can do without the laugh track, Dru.
DRUSILLA: But it's so funny. I knew ... before you did. I knew you loved the Slayer. The pixies in my head whispered it to me.

Spike turns back to Buffy as Dru continues talking.

SPIKE: You can't tell me that there isn't anything there between you and me. I know you feel something.

BUFFY: 
It's called revulsion. 
And whatever you think you're feeling, it's not love. 

You can't love without a soul.

DRUSILLA: 
Oh, we can, you know. 
We can love quite well. 
If not wisely.

SPIKE: (to Buffy) 
You still don't believe. 
Still don't think I mean it. 
You want proof, huh? How's this?

He stalks over to the Buffy Shrine, grabs a stake off the table, turns and puts the stake against Dru's chest. He looks over at Buffy.

SPIKE: 
I'm gonna kill Drusilla for you.

Dru begins laughing again.

BUFFY: 
That doesn't prove anything ... except that you're a sick miserable vampire that I should have dusted a long time ago. 

And, hey, already there.

SPIKE: 
Don't mock this.

BUFFY: 
Go mock yourself.

SPIKE: 
This is Drusilla, girl! 
You have the slightest idea what she means to me? It's the face of my salvation! 
(looks at Dru, smiles slightly) 
She delivered me from mediocrity. For over a century we ... cut a swath through continents. A hundred years, she never stopped surprising me.

He caresses Drusilla's cheek ad she leans her face into his hand.

SPIKE: (quietly) Never stopped taking me to new depths. I was a lucky bloke. (Dru smiles) Just to touch such a black beauty.

Shot of Buffy looking bored.

Spike continues stroking Dru's face as she smiles.
DRUSILLA: Aw...

Suddenly Spike lifts the stake again and puts it firmly against Dru's chest. She gasps and winces.

DRUSILLA: Ow.
SPIKE: (turning to look at Buffy) So you see, it means something.
BUFFY: Not to me. Kill her, why do I care?

Spike looks surprised, takes his hand down.

SPIKE: Here's why. (walks toward Buffy) If you don't admit ... that there's something there ... some tiny feeling for me ... then I'll untie Dru, let her kill you instead.
DRUSILLA: (nodding quickly) Yes, please. I like that game much more.
SPIKE: Just ... give me something ... a crumb ... a barest smidgen ... tell me ... maybe, someday, there's a chance.

Buffy looks intensely at him. He moves right up close to her.

BUFFY: Spike....

He looks hopeful.

BUFFY: The only chance you had with me was when I was unconscious.
SPIKE: (puzzled) Oh, what... (makes a face of extreme frustration) Ohh!

He turns away, throws the stake away and gives a loud angry yell.

SPIKE: (shouting) Gaaah! What the bleeding hell is wrong with you bloody women? What the hell does it take? Why ... do you bitches torture me?
BUFFY: Which question do you want me to answer first?
SPIKE: Look, I, I'm at the end of my bleeding tether. You know? I don't even know why I even bother, you know. (points at Dru) This is your fault. You're the one to blame for all this.
DRUSILLA: Am I?
SPIKE: (shouting) Bloody right you are! If you hadn't left me for that chaos demon, I never would have come back here! Never would have had this sodding chip in my skull! And you - (to Buffy) wouldn't be able to touch me, because this, (pointing to Buffy, then to himself) with you, is wrong. I know it. I'm not a complete idiot.

He stomps past Buffy, then turns back.

SPIKE: You think I like having you in here? Destroying everything that was me, until all that's left is you, in a dead shell. (scoffs) You say you hate it, but you won't leave. You know, what I should just do, is get rid of both of you. Burn you. Cut you into little pieces (makes scissor gesture with his fingers) so there won't be any more bints to cock up things for Spi-

He suddenly stops talking and spins around, falls over as we see an arrow protruding from his back and Harmony standing behind him with a crossbow.

Shot of Spike on the floor, looking up.
SPIKE: Oh, great.
HARMONY: (OS) What about me, Spike?

We see her standing over him.

HARMONY: 
You forget about me again? 
The *actual* girlfriend?

Shot of Drusilla looking at Buffy. Shot of Buffy watching Harmony.

HARMONY: 
I gave you the best ... bunch of months of my life!

She hits him over the head with the crossbow.

DRUSILLA: 
That's right, little girl. 
Teach our naughty boy a lesson.

SPIKE: (still on the floor) 
Oh, so now you're all ganging up.

HARMONY: 
I thought I could change you, Spike. 
I thought maybe if I gave and I gave and gave, maybe you'd come around. 
Maybe be a little nicer. 
Stop treating me like your dog. 

(begins reloading the crossbow) 


But now I see it's you. 
You're the dog. 
Who needs to be put d-

She turns away for a moment and Spike rushes her, grabs the crossbow and hits her in the face. He throws the crossbow away.

Shot of Dru looking over at Buffy. Shot of Buffy tugging at her chains.

Spike tries a kick on Harmony, which she avoids. She punches him.

Shot of Dru struggling. Shot of her hands behind her, tied with rope. Shot of Buffy struggling.

Harmony knees Spike in the groin, slaps him, but he ducks another swing, knees her in the stomach and throws her to the floor. The arrow is still sticking out of his back.

Drusilla frees herself from the ropes and runs across to Buffy, who jumps up to brace herself against the sides of the arch. Dru punches her in the stomach, then tries to swing but Buffy blocks with her still-chained hands and head-butts Dru.

Spike is on top of Harmony, pinning her down.

HARMONY: 
Ow, you're on my hair!

She reaches around him, grabs the arrow in his back, and twists. Spike gives a cry of pain.

Buffy kicks Dru, flips over, locks her legs around Dru's neck and flings Dru aside.

Harmony is standing, with the arrow in her hand. Spike is on the ground getting up. She tries to stake Spike with the arrow but he grabs her arm and they grapple.

Dru picks up a 2x4 and hits Buffy with it a few times, grinning.

Spike punches Harmony in the face and she falls down.

Dru grabs Buffy's throat and looks into her face. Spike runs over and grabs Dru, flings her aside. She falls to the floor. Spike takes out the keys and unlocks Buffy as Dru gets to her feet. Buffy and Spike stand side-by-side, both panting.

Dru stands up, holding her face, panting and looking shocked.

DRUSILLA: 
Poor Spike... (shot of Spike and Buffy staring at herso lost. (tearfully) 

Even I can't help you now.

She turns and leaves.

Spike and Buffy watch her go.

HARMONY: (OS) 
Oh Spikey.

Both Buffy and Spike roll their eyes and turn to see Harmony standing up.

HARMONY: 
And you can say good-bye to this (pointing at her butt) because you're not gonna see it any more ever. 
(thinks) 
Unless you run into me somewhere and it's me walking away from you.

She starts to leave, stops and turns back, putting hands on her hips.

HARMONY: 
But even then ... I'll probably just ... you know ... back away.

She backs away and exits.

Buffy turns to Spike. He takes a deep breath and looks at her, anticipating.

Buffy punches him in the face. He goes flying backward into the Buffy Shrine, bringing the mannequin and all the pictures crashing down.

Buffy turns and walks off.

Spike sits up, covered in Buffy pictures, and sighs.

Cut to: Buffy walking quickly down the street near her home. Spike runs up behind her.

SPIKE: 
Buffy! Come on now, stop.

He reaches her and begins walking by her side.

SPIKE: 
You can't just walk away from this.

BUFFY: 
What part of punching you in the face do you not understand?

SPIKE: 
So we had a fight. It's not our first, love, and it doesn't change anything.

BUFFY: 
(stops walking, turns to him angrily) 
It changes everything, Spike! 
I want you out. I want you out of this town, I want you off this planet! 
You don't come near me, my friends, or my family again ever! Understand?

She walks off. Spike shakes his head and follows.

SPIKE: 
No, it's not that easy. We have something, Buffy. 
(Buffy is walking up the stairs to the front door of her house. Spike follows

It's not pretty, but it's real, and there's nothing either one of us can do about it.

Buffy opens the door and enters, turning to face Spike who is right on her heels.

SPIKE: 
Like it or not, I'm in your life, you can't just shut me out.

He stops suddenly at the doorway as an invisible force prevents him from entering. Buffy stands right inside the door, giving him a grim look.

Spike stares in surprise, gives a tentative smile, not quite getting it yet. It begins to dawn on him that his invitation to the Summers house has been revoked.

Buffy steps back and closes the door in his face.

Blackout.


No comments:

Post a Comment