Saturday 6 April 2019

TIO MATT



Staffer :
They're signing loan papers.

-Some are wondering if Hoynes has cancelled his tour-

Joshua :
You gave him the papers?

Staffer :
Her.

Joshua :
Helen.

Staffer :
She asked for them.

HELEN :
I don't suppose in addition to your many skills you're a notary public.

Joshua :
Don't sign those.

Helen :
We won't send them to the bank unless we have to.
Just wanna make sure we're covered for Texas.

Joshua :
It's your financial future.

Tio Matt :
Which is why we're gonna come in second.

Joshua :
We can't.
There's no chance.
I'm sorry.

We've got Hoynes in New York.
We won't win the nomination.
I made myself believe it.
You too.

But you can't risk everything for this.

You should go to La Palabra, make a strong statement against the driver's license bill.

You should remember who your friends are, not some names on an index card, but the people you're going back to.

And then you should take a bow and you should step off the stage.



Tio Matt :
You know, when I got out of the Marines, I hadn't been in my neighborhood in Houston in a few years.

I had just gotten this job offer from the Pentagon and it required a full FBI background check.

After a few weeks, the investigators came to me and said, 

"We can't give you the job.
We've interviewed all your old friends and neighbors.
They can't confirm anything, not even your name." 

So I hop a plane, go back to the old block.
I see my neighbor's kids, and they're sitting out on the stoop, same as always.

They see me, they start running towards me and they're shouting, " Tio Matt! " 

— "Uncle Matt." —

" Tio Matt, The Feds, they were here looking for you -

We told them we never heard of you." 

11 and 13.

You're not the only one who can read bad polls, Josh.

I am running for President in that Texas primary and those kids are gonna see me do that.

And that is the only statement about my skin color I intend to make in this campaign.


If you need a minute-- 

Tio Matt :
I'm fine.

You met Richter in Portland.
He's on DNC site selection.
His son's a-- 


Math major at Princeton.

Joshua :
When you asked our chances before, you wanted to make sure the loan was ready if we lost here.

GRACE :
Something's Happened to Hoynes.

No comments:

Post a Comment