Thursday 7 March 2019

Take My Hand



INT. MAZ'S CASTLE - TABLE - DAY

 Maz is putting together some FOOD as she says:

 MAZ A map to Skywalker himself? You're right back in the mess.

 HAN Maz, I need you to get this droid to Leia.

 

 

 MAZ 
Hmm. No. You've been running away from this fight for too long. 
Han, nyakee nago wadda. Go home!

 HAN 
Leia doesn't want to see me.

 FINN 
Please, we came here for your help.

 REY 
What fight?

 MAZ 
The only fight: against the dark side. Through the ages, I've seen evil take many forms. 
The Sith. 
The Empire. 
Today, it is the First Order. 
Their shadow is spreading across the galaxy. 
We must face them. 
Fight them. 
All of us.

 FINN 
There is no fight against the First Order! Not one we can win. Look around. There's no chance we haven't been recognized already. I bet you the First Order is on their way right-- 

Finn stops, seeing Maz adjusting her goggles, scrutinizing him -- her eyes get HUGE.

 FINN (CONT'D) 
What's this? What are you doing? 

Maz adjusts the goggles again. 
Her eyes get impossibly BIGGER. 
She grunts recognition. She hoists herself on the tabletop, knocking over food and plates, crawling towards Finn.

 FINN (CONT'D) 
Solo, what is she doing?

 HAN 
I don't know, but it ain't good.

 MAZ 
If you live long enough you see the same eyes in different people. 
I'm looking at the eyes of a man who wants to run.

 FINN (eyes on Maz) 
You don't know a thing about me. 
Where I'm from. What I've seen.

 (MORE)

 

 

 (CONTINUED)

 CONTINUED:

 FINN (CONT'D) 
You don't know the First Order like I do. 
They'll slaughter us. 
We all need to run. 

Rey is stunned. Maz, not so much. She crawls back to her chair. She points to some pirates in the corner.

 MAZ You see those two? They'll trade work for transportation to the Outer Rim. There, you can disappear. Finn sees them. Considers.

 REY Finn!

 FINN Come with me.

 REY What about BB-8? We're not done yet. We have to get him back to your base.

 FINN I can't. Finn stands to leave. He offers the gun back to Han.

 HAN Keep it, kid. Finn heads off. Rey gets up to follow. Maz dials her lenses back to normal, and turns to Han.

 MAZ Who's the girl?

 ON FINN Who has arrived at the table with the ALIEN SMUGGLERS.

 FINN I was told you could get me to the Outer Rim. Rey barges into the conversation, interrupting.

 REY What are you doing? Finn gets up to talk to her.

 FINN (to Big Head) Don't leave without me.

 

 

 (CONTINUED)

 CONTINUED: Embarrassed, Finn moves her away.

 REY You can't just go. I won't let you.

 FINN I'm not who you think I am.

 REY Finn, what are you talking about?

 FINN I'm not Resistance. I'm not a hero. I'm a Stormtrooper.

 (STOPS HER) Like all of them, I was taken from a family I'll never know. And raised to do one thing...

 (EMOTIONAL) But my first battle, I made a choice. I wasn't going to kill for them. So I ran.

 FINN (CONT'D) Right into you. And you looked at me like no one ever had. I was ashamed of what I was. But I'm done with the First Order. I'm never going back. Rey, come with me.

 REY Don't go.

 FINN Take care of yourself. Please. Rey looks at him, crushed. With quiet resignation, Rey watches Finn return to the aliens... And all three head off. He gets to the front door and walks through it. Rey is heartsick, but she turns as she hears the sound of a young girl in anguish, crying. She follows the sound into the castle, turning so she can't see that Finn has looked back at her one last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment