Monday 25 March 2019

COAT







Host:  
"Love the coat.  

It's all about The Coat.  

Welcome to Caritas.  

You know what that means?" 

Angel:  
It's Latin for ‘mercy.’

[ ‘Charity’, actually,  but close-enough. ]

Host:  
"Smart and cute.  How about gracing us with a number?" 

Angel:  
"I don't sing." 

Host:  
"Neither does Mordar the Bentback! 
That cat's a foghorn on two legs." 

Cordy to Wes:  
"Who is this guy?" 

Wes:  "He's, uh, anagogic." 

Cordy: 
 "Really?  He looks like he's eating enough." 

Wes:  
"Psychic.  He's connected to the mystic.  
When you sing you bare you soul.  
He sees into it." 

Host:  
"This isn't about your pipes, bro.  It's about your spirit.  I can't read you unless you sing!" 

Angel:  
"I don't sing." 

Cordy:  
"Come on, Angel.  I wanna hear you sing." 

Angel:  "No." 

Wes:  
"It would be for a good cause.  We might learn something." 

Angel:  
"Who's the boss here?" 

Host:  
"I know you're feeling smooth, in the groove.  Isn't that the thing that comes before a fall?" 

Angel as they all look at him:  
"There are three things I don't do: Tan, date - and sing in public!" 

Angel walks out. 

Host:  
"See you around. - How fabulous would I look in that coat?"




Angel:  
"What's the Tribunal?" 


Woman:  
"Some kind of otherworldly court.  Supposedly they can save me and my daughter.  You - you go before them, you got to have that charm... I don't know how it works.  Kamal said that he was gonna be my champion. - You know what?  Screw this!  I'm getting out of town!" 






Angel:  "I told her to come here. - She doesn't trust me. - Why should she?" 
Angel hits the whiteboard. 
Cordy:  "You can't see everything.  You're just a vampire like everyone else... That didn't come out right." 
Angel:  "I thought I was out of the tunnel." 
Angel slumps down on the sofa. 
Cordy:  "Sure you did... because the tunnel is - you know, it's something we all... Are we talking real tunnel or symbolic?  Just give me that much." 
Angel:  "I-I saw the light at the end of the tunnel - that some day I might become human. - - That light was so bright, I thought I was already out." 
Cordy sits down beside him with a sigh:  "Yeah.  We all got a little cocky, didn't we? - It's gonna be a long while - until you work your way out - but I know you well enough to know you *will*. - And I'll be with you until you do." 
Angel:  "What about your inevitable stardom?" 
Cordy:  "I'm not saying I won't have a day job." 
Wesley:  "I think we got something. It's medieval.  A small badge or coat of arms, to be presented when going before the Cahair Binse.  Roughly translated that's chair of judgement." 
Angel:  "The Tribunal." 
Wes:  "Right.  An ancient court to settle grievances." 
Cordy:  "You mean- with like lawyers and stuff." 
Wes:  "This is a little more primitive. It's a fight to the death." 
Angel:  "That's why she needed a champion.  Where would this Tribunal take place?" 
Wes:  "There is no way to tell.  They're mystical events, they could rise up in our reality whenever they please." 
Angel:  "Look, we got to find her right away - whatever it takes. - There's only one way."

Angel singing:  "Oh, Mandy.  Well you came and you gave without taking, but I sent you away, oh Mandy. Well, you kissed me and stopped me from shaking. (The green, horned host is watching him sing) and I need you today, oh Mandy. (Angel looks around at the demons in the audience and his singing gets a lot worse)
Cordy sitting beside Wesley at a table:  "That man will do anything to save a life." 






She'll be at Forth and Spring.  
The trial will be there." 

Angel:  
"Trial?  How does it work?" 
Host:  
"I can only tell you what I tell you.  The rest is up to you." 
Angel gets up to leave. 
Angel:  "Can I save her?" 
Host:  "Try - and find out."

The pregnant woman is hurrying down an almost empty street at night, one hand on her belly. Suddenly three stone thrones occupied by dark robbed figures rise out of the ground behind her.  A horse whinnies and a knight in armor rides up the street towards them. 
The knight throws down a bronze disk. 
Judge:  "Where is your champion?" 
Woman:  "He's-he's dead." 
Judge:  "You have no coat of arms and no champion?" 
Woman:  "I ask for asylum." 
Judge:  "Asylum is not ours to give.  Two are chosen to meet in combat.  One can save your life.  One can take it.  This is the ancient law.  Your life is forfeit.  You have no champion." 

The knight pulls his sword as the woman backs away. A bronze disk lands on top of the other one. 

Angel:  "Yes, she does." 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment