Monday 21 May 2018

I Had Hoped That We Could Reason Together as Men




Don Corleone
[to the Heads of the Five Families] 
 How did things ever get so far? 
I don't know. It was so unfortunate, so unnecessary. 
Tattaglia lost a son and I lost a son. 
We're quits. 
And if Tattaglia agrees, then I'm willing to let things go on the way they were before.

Don Barzini
We're all grateful to Don Corleone for calling this meeting. 
We all know him as a man of his word.
 A modest man who will always listen to reason.

Tattaglia
Yes, Barzini, he is too modest. 
He had all the judges and politicians in his pocket and refused to share them.

Don Corleone
When, when did I ever refuse an accommodation? 
All of you know me here. 
When did I ever refuse, except one time? And why? 

 Because I believe this drug business is gonna destroy us in the years to come. 

I mean, it's not like gambling or liquor, even women, which is something that most people want nowadays and it's forbidden to them...by the church. 

Even the police departments have helped us in the past with gambling and other things. 

They're gonna refuse to help us when it comes to narcotics.
I believed that then - 
and I believe that now.


Don Barzini
Times have changed. 
It's not like the old days when we could do anything we want. 
A refusal is not the act of a friend.

 Don Corleone had all the judges and the politicians in New York and he must share them...

He must let us draw the water from the well. 

Certainly, he can present a bill for such services. 
After all, we are not Communists...

Don Corleone
I hoped that we would come here and reason together. 
And as a reasonable man, I'm willing to do whatever's necessary to find a peaceful solution to these problems.

Don Barzini
Then we are agreed. 
The traffic in drugs will be permitted, but controlled, and Don Corleone will give up protection in the East - and there will be the peace.

Tattaglia: 
But I must have strict assurance from Corleone. 
As time goes by and his position becomes stronger, will he attempt any individual vendetta?

Don Barzini
Look, we are all reasonable men here. 
We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers.

Don Corleone
You talk about vengeance. 
Is vengeance gonna bring your son back to you and my boy to me? 
I forgo all the vengeance in my son. But I have selfish reasons. 

But I'm a superstitious man, 
And if some unlucky accident should befall my youngest son, 
if he should get shot in the head by a police officer, 
or if he should hang himself in his jail cell, 
or if he's struck by a bolt of lightning —

Then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room. 

And that - that, I do not forgive. 

But that aside, let me say that I swear on the souls of my grandchildren —

That I will not be the one to break the peace that we have made here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment