Thursday 2 May 2019

WOE TO THE WICKED












DON QUIXOTE 
(Growing in power
Not well?  

What is sickness to the body of a knight-errant?  

What matter wounds?  

For each time he falls he shall rise again – 
and woe to the wicked!  

(A lusty bellow

Sancho!
 
SANCHO  
Here, your Grace!
 
DON QUIXOTE  
My armor!  My sword!
 
SANCHO  
(Delightedly, clapping his hands
More misadventures!
 
DON QUIXOTE  
Adventures, old friend!  
(Rising from the bed, and as ALDONZA and SANCHO support him on either side, he sings)
 
Oh the trumpets of glory 
Now call me to ride, 
Yes, the trumpets are calling to me
And wherever I ride, 
every staunch at my side, 
My squire and My Lady shall be –

I am I, 
Don Quixote—
 
DON QUIXOTE, 
ALDONZA, 
and 
SANCHO
The Lord of LaMancha 
Our destiny calls and we go!
And the wild winds of fortune shall carry us onward

Oh, withersoever... 

(DON QUIXOTE falters)
 
ALDONZA 
(A cry of apprehension
My Lord--!
 
SANCHO  
Master--!
 
DON QUIXOTE 
(Reassuring them, sings on)
Withersoever they blow, 
Onward to glory – 
(A sudden cry. A whisper)

I... go... 

(He crumples to the floor)



No comments:

Post a Comment