Wednesday 27 February 2019

The Members of The Fam : Yaz, The Damsel





A young Police Constable approaches two squabbling women. Her attitude to policing seems to channel Sgt Cawood from Happy Valley.

SONIA: 
She smashed it with a hammer!

JANEY: 
Cos you keyed me nearside door!

SONIA: 
Because you parked in my spot!

JANEY: 
It's not your spot. 
There are no spots.

YAZ: 
Ladies, please! 
Thank you. 

Can I suggest a simple solution? 

 “ Never Ask for Permission, It’s a Complete Waste of Time. ” 
— Tony Benn 

You pay for her cracked window,
 you pay for her scratched door, 
and we all agree that parking round here is a nightmare —

But that grown-ups really shouldn't need to call The Police to sort it out for them. 

Now, if we're all agreed on that, 
there's no need for me to take any further Police Action and we can all get on with our lives. 

What do you reckon?

[Police car / Police station]

YASMIN: 
I'm just saying,  
I am capable of more 
 than parking disputes.

RAMESH: 
And I keep telling you, 
Don't run before you can walk. 

You're a probationer, Yaz. 
Learn The Basics.

From Who? (See What I Did There..?)  
— She was sent out to attend the parking incident solo, so she already  knows “The Basics of Routine Community-Policing”, well enoughto do it unsupervised, without additional officers or back-up, whilst sleep-walking underwater, and with the lights off for the entire street, as well as the next 3 streets on either side. 

She Doesn’t Need Supervision
And They Know That.
Because She’s unpartnered — and out there on her own.

YAZ : 
I want to do more

Can you not get them to give me something that'll test me? 

Something a bit different.

RAMESH: 
There is something that just came in....
If you want ‘different’....




"T'Kuvma knew that the most powerful empire was a united empire. Twenty-four houses working as one. He believed the quickest way to bring us together was war with the Federation. 

But in this fight, we have lost our way. A new leader is needed to fulfill my lord's vision. 

I am that leader."


– L'Rell, 2257 
"Will You Take My Hand?"


Damsel #1 :
[in English] 
Scream.
I said, scream.

Damsel #2 :
No.
[both screaming] 

[guard laughs]  
[retreating footsteps] 

Damsel #1 :
Good.
You were convincing.
The guard is gone.
Now we can talk.


What happens to those who Starfleet captures? 

Damsel #2 :
In war? They're imprisoned.
Interrogated, humanely.
Eventually, they're returned to their people as part of any final peace settlement.

Damsel #1 :
So, you do not execute them.

Damsel #2 :
The Federation has no death penalty.

Damsel #1 :
I wish to defect.
There's nothing here for me now.
The p'taQ my people now follow has no honor.
It is because of Kol I am alone.
I had like-minded brothers and sisters.
Even the one chosen by Lord T'Kuvma to be his successor.
But he was chased away.
Forever gone.
Everyone is gone.
My vessel is in a nearby hangar.
Kahless willing, we will use it to both escape with our lives, and you will guarantee me safe passage onto your ship.

Damsel #2 :
My ship?

Damsel #1 :
 Discovery.
I know its shuttle delivered you to the trap on Cancri IV.

Damsel #2 :
Why should I trust you? - 

Damsel #1 :
Because we need each other, Admiral.
And what other option do you have? 

Damsel #2 :
Certain we can get to your ship undetected? 


Damsel #1 :
I know this vessel as if it were my home.
It was my home, once.
First I am ensuring the end of Kol's days.
He neglected T'Kuvma's message.
He desecrated this vessel with his fetid presence.
Before we depart, I will set the ship's warp core to overload.

Damsel #2 :
 He really disappointed you.

Damsel #1 :
He disgusts me.
My only regret is that I will not be able to see his pretty painted face as he takes his final breath.


[in Klingon] 
L'Rell, where are you taking the prisoner? 

Damsel #1 :
You were not what I expected.

Damsel #2 :
Neither were you.
[L'Rell grunting] [groans] 

Damsel #1 :
At least you won't die in a cage, Admiral.

 [yells] - [electricity sizzling] 

[in Klingon] 
She took my blade and tried to escape.
I will dispose of the body.



(WHOOSHES OPEN) 
(DOOR WHOOSHES SHUT) 

Damsel #1 :
You live.

Damsel #2 :
And you finally made it aboard the USS Discovery, 
though I suspect you've found 
the accommodations lacking.

Damsel #1 :
Even from a cage, 
Kahless Hears My Call.


Damsel #2 :
I do not subscribe to Your Ideals.

And yet, I feel as though 
You and I understand 
each other.

Damsel #1 :
T'Kuvma taught that 
all humans are 
without Courage.

About this
He was Wrong.

Damsel #2 :
I want to be Truthful with You.
Your Side is winning.

When we met, you had 
nothing but contempt 
for the crumbling leadership 
of The Klingon Empire.

Damsel #1 :
T'Kuvma sought to strengthen 
and unify The Great Houses.
If he has succeeded in only this, 
it is cause for celebration.

Damsel #2 :
Your Great Houses are carving up 
Federation assets among their factions —
A captured starbase 
bears the insignia of House D'Ghor
not of The Klingon Empire.

Is that the kind of unity your messiah proclaimed? 
They think nothing of 
the collateral damage 
caused by their brutal attacks.
They target civilians, 
hospitals, food convoys.
They slaughter innocents and inspire terror across the quadrant.

Damsel #1 :
This is War, not a child's game with rules.
We fight to preserve Klingon Identity.

Damsel #2 :
No one is looking to destroy Your Culture.
Our Laws are founded in Equality.
Freedom.

Damsel #1 :
T'Kuvma taught us that 
The Federation cannot help itself.
It seeks universal homogenization 
and assimilation.

Damsel #2 :
T'Kuvma was an ignorant fool.
And Your People are moving closer and closer 
to My Home Planet.
What are you looking for? 

More Territory? 
Conditional Surrender? 

I mean, Your People won't 
even make demands.

Why? How does This War end

Damsel #1 :
It doesn't.
Klingons have tasted your blood.
Conquer Us or, We will never relent.

Damsel #2 :
Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment