Friday 8 February 2019

Michael Burn 'em


The Prophet Sarek :
I must return to Vulcan.
There are evolving details to the plan that must be considered.

Michael :
What evolving details? 

The Prophet Sarek :
I sense you are uneasy.
 
During my mind-meld with Saru, 
I learned of your attachment 
to the Klingon spy and what he did to you.
 
Such events are clearly troubling.

Michael :
 I'm fine, Sarek.
 
The Prophet Sarek :
I remain, unconvinced.

There is irony here, of course.
The man you fell in love with was a Klingon.
 
Michael :
He - I don't know what he was.
 
The Prophet Sarek :
There is also grace.
[ This, coming from you?! ]
 
For what greater source of Peace exists 
than our ability to Love Our Enemy? 

Michael, Burn 'em :
I've made foolish choices.
Emotional choices.


The Prophet Sarek :
Well, you are human.
As is Your Mother.
 
There is no telling what any one of us may do 
where The Heart is concerned.

We are at War.
Logic dictates that each farewell 
may be Our Last.
 
Do not regret loving someone, Michael.



Admiral Cornwell requested a status report.
This is the last of the mycelial transport vessels.
We will be able to launch by the time we reach Veda.
 

Michael :
I just said good-bye to my father, and it felt... different.
Final. It won't be, right? 

Did you ever think, when you signed up for Starfleet, 
that you'd be forced to see War and Death? 

Death found me when I was a child.
So, yeah. I knew what I was getting into.

I don't think I did.
Not really.
Does that make me naive? 

It makes you optimistic.

When we were in the Terran universe, 
I was reminded how much a person is shaped by their environment.
 
And I think the only way that we can stop ourselves from becoming them is to 
understand The Darkness within us
and fight it.
 
Tyler needs you.
 
Michael :
I'm told he's doing well.

That's not possible, 
not when you've lost the person - 
you care about the most.


Michael :
He killed a Starfleet officer.
And he - he tried to kill me.

And those crimes are reprehensible, 
but Tyler is not the person who did that, 
at least he's he's not anymore.

He is something other, someone new.

And what we do now, 
the way that we treat him, 
that is who he will become.
I know you still care about him.

I do.
That does not mean I should.

Michael, he's been stripped of his badge.
He'll never fly for Starfleet again.
He'll be lucky if he doesn't end up 
in a lab or a cell.
What kind of future can he have
Say what you have to say, 
even if it's good-bye.




Earth, Andor, Tellar, Vulcan.
Every planet of the Federation has made the odyssey out of darkness into light.
So too have the Klingons.
 
The war is over.
There were triumphs.
Victories of spirit.
Courage beyond reason.
 
But make no mistake.
These were bleak times.
Times we cannot repeat.
Times we cannot forget.
 
 
Isik for your thoughts.
 
 
What’s an isik, anyway? 
 
Oh, I don’t know.
It’s something my mother used to say to me.
 
 
Thank you for coming.
I’m glad to see you.
Is everything okay? When I was growing up, you told me not to forget my humanity.
I didn’t know what that meant.
I didn’t how to do it, I didn’t know why I would even want to.
I get it now.
So thank you.
For not giving up on me.
That’s What Mothers Do.
Michael.
Father.
 
SAREK:
What the Federation chose to do on Qo’noS 
was unprincipled, and I had a part in it.
 
Michael :
The Klingons made it clear they would fight us to extinction.
You were desperate to save us.
I know the feeling all too well.
 
 Sarek :
And yet, you were able to find another way.
I am not alone in finding your commitment to Starfleet'€™s ideals commendable.
 
I asked if I may give it to you.
Your record has been expunged, 
your pardon by the president of the Federation is official.
 
Commander Burnham.
 
The Federation is as grateful to you as I am to my daughter.
Your mother will stay in Paris for a few days.
I will travel with Discovery to Vulcan.
You are picking up your new captain there.
I'm glad we’ll be making that journey together.
 
Michael :
We are no longer on The Eve of Battle.
Even so, I come to ask myself the same question that young soldier asked the general all those years ago: 
 
"How do I defeat Fear?" 
 
The General'€™s Answer
The Only Way to Defeat Dear is to Tell it "No.
 
No. We will not take shortcuts on the path to righteousness.
No. We will not break the rules that protect us from our basest instincts.
No. We will not allow desperation to destroy moral authority.
 
I am guilty of all these things.
 
Some say that in life, there are no second chances.
Experience tells me that this is true.
But we can only look forward.
 
We have to be Torchbearers, 
casting The Light so we may see Our Path to lasting Peace.
 
We will continue exploring, 
Discovering New Worlds, New Civilizations.
 
Yes.
That is the United Federation of Planets.

No comments:

Post a Comment