Monday 11 June 2018

The Button


Well, now...

Everyone's talking to me. 
No one's talking to each other.

Someone isn't 
here. 
Button, button... who's got the button? 

My money's on : 
The Witch.

Red's a Bad Girl...

The Man Behind The Winkies is a Woman.

It's Her.

She's The Man Behind The Winkies.

She's The One Who's Doing It.


When I started working on this problem - or I guess when when it started working on me - was probably really in the mid 80s.

And I found myself suffering from two things one was a very lengthy sequence  of nightmares about nuclear destruction 
and they're very affecting dreams, I guess you could say.

And associated with that was a sense of  amazement that a dream that was that  awful could reflect a reality that could 
be that awful, and an additional  amazement out the fact that despite the 
production of thousands and tens and  thousands of weapons of unimaginable 
destruction and that qualitative 
qualitative change in human capacity 
that represented that people could go 
about their day-to-day lives without 
acting as if anything fundamental 
whatsoever had changed now I've never 
really been able to figure out why that 
disturbed me so much when it seemed to 
not disturb to any profound degree most 
of the people I knew.


SYCORAX: Who exactly are you? 

Perfect-10: 
Well, that's The Question. 

SYCORAX: 
I demand to know who you are! 

Perfect-10: 
I don't know! 

See, there's the thing. I'm The Doctor, but beyond that, I just don't know. I literally do not know who I am. It's all untested. 

Am I funny? Am I sarcastic? Sexy? Right old misery? Life and soul? Right handed? Left handed? A gambler? A fighter? A coward? A traitor? A liar? A nervous wreck? I mean, judging by the evidence, I've certainly got a gob. 

And how am I going to react when I see this, a great big threatening button. 

A great big threatening button which must not be pressed under any circumstances, am I right? 

Let me guess. It's some sort of control matrix, hmm? Hold on, what's feeding it? 


(The Doctor opens the base of the pillar under the button.) 

And what've we got here? Blood? Yeah, definitely blood. Human blood. A Positive, with just a dash of iron. Ah, but that means blood control. Blood control! Oh, I haven't seen blood control for years. You're controlling all the A Positives. Which leaves us with a great big stinking problem. 

Because I really don't know who I am. 

I don't know when to stop. 

So if I see a great big threatening button which should never, ever, ever be pressed, then I just want to do this. 

(He hits the button.) 

ROSE + HARRIET: No!


No comments:

Post a Comment