Monday 10 July 2017

Accession : Defender of The Faith





(Divok is pouring something on the fire as Worf meditates

WORF: 

Torva luk do shel. Torva luk 
(a figure appears) 


WORF: 

I see Kahless. 

(Divok runs out. The figure walks forward and holds out his arms. Worf touches his hands.) 


WORF: You are real. 


(the other Klingons enter) 


KAHLESS: 

I am Kahless, and I have returned.
[Temple]
(Kahless and the group march in, and Kahless picks up the bat'leth from the throne) 

KOROTH: 

What are you doing? Who are you? 

DIVOK: 

It is Kahless. 



KAHLESS: 

I have returned. You doubt me. Who here knows the story of how this sword was forged? 

TORIN:

 No one knows. It is not written in the sacred texts. 

KAHLESS: 

I went into the mountains, all the way to the volcano at Kri'stak. There I cut off a lock of my hair and thrust it into the river of molten rock which poured from the summit. The hair began to burn. Then I plunged it into the lake of Lusor and twisted it into this sword. And after I used it to kill the tyrant Molor I gave it a name. Bat'leth. The sword of honour. 


KOROTH: 

You know. The story of the sword is known only to the High Clerics. 

It was never written down, so that if he returned, we could be sure it was Kahless. 

KAHLESS: 

I have returned because there is a great need in my people. They fight among themselves in petty wars and corrupt the glory of the Klingon spirit. They have lost their way. But it is not too late. I have returned and I will lead my people again. 

(Koroth kneels

KOROTH: 
Vorcha doh baghk, Kahless! 

ALL: (kneeling
Vorcha doh baghk, Kahless! Vorcha doh baghk, Kahless! 

(all, that is, except for Worf)


[Worf's chambers]
KAHLESS: What is it you are doing? 
WORF: I was getting my tricorder. 
KAHLESS: Tricorder? Is it a weapon? 
WORF: No, no. It is a tool. I intended to use it to see 
KAHLESS: To see if I was real. Proceed. Use your tricorder. Well? 
WORF: You are Klingon. 
KAHLESS: What else could I be? 
WORF: There are many possibilities. A shape shifter, a holographic projection. 
KAHLESS: So, you are a sceptic, Worf. I like that. 
WORF: How do you know my name? 
KAHLESS: We have met before. I appeared to you in a vision in the caves of No'Mat. You were just a child then. I told you that you would do something that no Klingon had ever done before. You still do not believe it is me, do you Worf? 
WORF: I want to believe. 
KAHLESS: That is a beginning.


[Temple]
(a dining table is set up in the aisle, as Kahless sits on his throne and is briefed by a priest) 
TORIN: Gowron is the Leader of the Council. He commands the entire Defence Force. If he chooses to oppose you 
KAHLESS: Do not worry. We are on the threshold of a new era for our people. Klingons from all over the Empire will flock to my banner. Yet something still weighs heavy on the brow of the son of Mogh. Are you contemplating yet another question for me? After three days, I am beginning to wonder if you know how to do anything else. 
WORF: Questions are the beginning of wisdom, the mark of a true warrior. 
KAHLESS: Do not forget that a leader need not answer questions of those he leads. It is enough that he says to do a thing and they will do it. If he says to run, they run. If he says to fight, they fight. If he says to die, they die. 
WORF: If the commander is worthy of their trust. 
KAHLESS: NuQ cha'tak. NuQ! 
(Torin hands Kahless his bat'leth. Worf is given another. They fight, and Worf gets some good blows in, knocking Kahless down) 
KAHLESS: (laughs) What is wrong? Is there only anger and bloodlust in your souls? Is that all that is left in the Klingon heart? We do not fight merely to spill blood, but to enrich the spirit. Look at us. Two warriors locked in battle, fighting for honour. How can you not sing for all to hear? We are Klingons! Yes! Let it out! Let the joy in your heart be heard. We are Klingons! 
KLINGON: We are Klingons. 
KAHLESS: We are Klingons. 
ALL: We are Klingons. We are Klingons. We are Klingons. We are Klingons. We are Klingons. We are Klingons.



WORF: 
The man who appeared to me on Boreth is not Kahless. He is a clone. 

GOWRON: 

A clone! 

WORF: 

Yes. 

GOWRON: 

Did you really think you would get away with this kind of fraud, Koroth? I will have you and this abomination put to death. 

WORF: 

It does not matter, Gowron. You will still not be able to stand against him. 

GOWRON:

 What? He's not real. You just said so. 

WORF: 

I said he was not the Kahless, but in the minds of our people he can be just as powerful as Kahless. Even now, two members of your own crew are sitting on our Holodeck waiting for him to return. 

GOWRON:

 I do not care what they think. 

WORF: 

But hey are not alone. Like many of our people, they need something to believe in, just like I did. Something larger than themselves, something that will give their lives meaning. They need Kahless. 

GOWRON: 

But when they find out the truth? 

WORF: 

It will not matter, Gowron. Despite the facts, they will still believe. They will make a leap of faith and there will be others just like them. Not everyone, but enough to plunge the Empire into civil war if you oppose them. 

GOWRON: 

What are you saying? That I should just hand over the Empire? 

WORF: 

No, that would be unwise as well.
 
KOROTH: 

Then what are you proposing, Worf? 

WORF: 

You were right about one thing, Koroth. Our people are becoming decadent and corrupt. They need moral leadership. Kahless can be that leader, as Emperor. 

GOWRON: There hasn't been an Emperor in three centuries! 


WORF: 

The political power will remain with the High Council. Kahless would be a figurehead, but he will have the ability to rally the people, to lead by example, to guide them in spiritual matters. 

KOROTH: 

The title is meaningless without the power to back it up. 

WORF: 

Real power comes from within the heart. You would have the power to mold the Klingon heart. You could return them to honourable ways according to the original teachings of Kahless which are within you. It would be a great challenge, if you have the courage to accept it. 

GOWRON: 

And what will we tell the people about their new Emperor? That he appeared in a cave or a laboratory? 

WORF: 

We will tell them the truth. All of the truth. But we will tell them that even if he is not the real Kahless, he is the rightful heir to Kahless. 

GOWRON: And if I refuse to go along with this? 


WORF: 

Then my brother and those who support him on the Council will fight you, and I will fight you. And the Empire will fall back into civil war. 

GOWRON: 

What do you say about this, Koroth? 

KOROTH: 

What I say is unimportant. 

KAHLESS: 

It is acceptable. 

(Koroth kneels before his Emperor. Worf does the same) 


KAHLESS: Join with me, Gowron. Let us usher in this new era together. 



GOWRON: Vorcha doh bagh (kneels) Kahless.

No comments:

Post a Comment