Thursday 12 May 2022

Sad Stories of The Deaths of Gods

 




PICARD
Well, he's always had a certain 
fascination with Humanity, 
with myself in particular….
I think he has more than a passing interest
 in What Happens to Me.


DATA

That is True — Q's Interest in You has always been very similar to that of a Master and His Beloved Pet. 

…..That was only an analogy, Captain. 


Let Us Lie, Dreaming all Across 
The Vastness of The Terrestrial Sphere 
and Lament Mournful Elegies 
to The Deaths of Gods




Q. :
I am moving on. 
In your parlance, 
I am dying…

A. :
…Yes, I know —

Q. :
alone. I am dying alone
I Do Not Want That for You. 

Humans... 
Your Griefs, Your Pains 
fix you to moments 
in The Past long gone. 

You're like butterflies 
with your wings pinned. 

My Old Friend
forever The Boy who, 
with an errant turn 
of A Skeleton Key, 
Broke The Universe, 
and His Own Heart -- 
No More

You are now unshackled 
from The Past. 
As I leave, I leave You Free

A. :
But... why does all this matter

Is something going to happen 
for which I will be required

Q. :
Must it always have galactic import? 
Universal stakes, celestial upheaval? 

Isn't one Life enough

You ask Me Why it Matters : 
It matters to Me
You matter to me

Even gods have favourites, Jean-Luc. 
And You've always been one of mine. 





Q. : 
Welcome to The Afterlife, Jean-Luc --
You're Dead.

A. : 
Q, What is Going on?

Q. : 
I Told You. You're Dead. 
This is The Afterlife, and I'm God.

A. : 
You are Not God.

Q. : 
Blasphemy! You're Lucky I Don't Cast You out, 
or Smite You or something. 
The Bottom Line is, Your Life ended 
about five minutes ago, 
under the inept ministrations 
of Doctor Beverly Crusher.

A.
No. I am Not Dead. 
Because I refuse to Believe 
that The Afterlife is run by You.
The Universe is not so badly designed.


Q. : 
Very well. If you really require more evidence 
of your post-mortem status, I guess 
I'll just have to provide you some.

MAURICE: 
Jean-Luc, I told you not to go running off to that Academy.

A. : 
...Father --
MAURICE: 
I Told You that Starfleet would bring you to a bad end, 
but you wouldn't listen
Now look at You : Dead before Your Time.

A. : 
Q, enough of this.

Q. : 
Enough what?

MAURICE: 
Why couldn't you have listened? 
Didn't you know that I was working 
for your best interests?

A. : Q, stop this.

MAURICE: 
After all these years, even now, 
You manage to Disappoint Me, Jean-Luc.

Q. : 
He's not the only one 
who'd like to have a word with you.

WOMAN [OC]: 
Why, Jean-Luc? 
Why did you do it?

CREWWOMAN [OC]: 
Captain, there are still people down there. 
You can't abandon them.

CREWMAN [OC]: 
There must be some other way, Captain. 
Some other choice than firing on them.

MAN [OC]: 
If you continue on this course.....

CREWMAN [OC]: 
A direct hit, sir. 
The Ship is Destroyed.

Q. : 
These are The Voices of all the people 
you've killed throughout the years.

A. : 
Whom I've killed? 
What do you mean?

Q. : 
Death has made you a little dim, Jean-Luc. 
These are the voices of all the people 
who have died through your actions 
or your inactions. 

Now, if you have any words 
of apology or regret
I believe they're all listening. 

They're a surly bunch, actually, 
so don't drag this out too long.

A. : 
I've no intention of performing for your amusement.

Q. : 
This is not for me. 
This is for you, Jean-Luc. 
This is your opportunity 
to make peace 
with your sordid past.

A. : 
I find it hard to believe that 
you are doing this 
for the benefit of my soul.

Q. : 
Well, now that you've shuffled off the mortal coil, 
we're free to spend a little time together.

A. : 
'A little time together?' 
How much?

Q. : 
Eternity. Now, you're sure you have 
no regrets or feelings of guilt 
about your former life? 

I can't have you whining 
and complaining throughout Time.

A. : 
If I'm really Dead, then my only regret 
is dying and finding you here.

Q. : 
You wound me, Jean-Luc. 
After all, I was not the cause of your death. This was.

He holds up the contraption Kate Pulaski 
put in him all those seasons ago

A. : 
Is that...?

Q. : 
Your Artificial Heart
You might have lived if you had a real one 
instead of this unreliable piece of Technology

By the way, how did you lose yours anyway?

A. : 
A Mistake.



Q. : 
Is that a regret I hear?

A. : 
I regret a great many things 
from those days.

Q. : 
Really?

(A Nausicaan and a young man in old-style uniform are fighting. Then a second Nausicaan joins in, and a third stabs the man through the back. The blade sticks out of his chest. The young man falls to his knees, looks at the knife point and laughs, then falls to the floor.)

Q. : 
It wasn't very smart of you to take on 
three Nausicaans, was it?

A. : 
No, it wasn't.

Q. : 
And did I hear a laugh? 
It's so unlike You, Jean-Luc, to have a Sense of Humour, especially about getting stabbed through the back.

A. : 
I was a different person in those days. 
Arrogant, undisciplined, 
with far too much ego and too little wisdom. 
I was more Like You.

Q. : 
Then you must have been far more interesting. 
Pity you had to change.

A. : The pity is that I had to be impaled through the back before I learned that lesson. I started that fight with those Nausicaans. I started it because, because I was young and cocky. If I'd been more responsible in those days, I wouldn't have needed this heart, and I wouldn't have died from a random energy surge thirty years later.

Q. : So, if you had it to do all over again?
A. : Things would be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment