Wednesday 11 May 2022

Two Yous Together

I am He, and 
He is Me.

REMARKABLE.














Richard Burton :

Mrs. Strang, have you any idea 

how this could have occurred…? 


Mother :

No, Doctor. It’s all so unbelievable. 

Alan was always such a gentle boy. Always. 

And he loves animals, 

especially horses.


Richard Burton :

Thank You. Especially


Yes. He even has 

a picture of one 

up in his bedroom. 

His Father gave it to him 

a few years ago off 

a calendar he printed... 

and The Boy's never 

taken it down. 


And when he was seven or eight... 

I used to have to read 

the same book to him, 

over and over again...

all about a horse.


Richard Burton :

Really? 


Mother :

Yes. It was called ‘Prince’, 

and no one could ride him. 


Richard Burton :

You say he kept the picture 

of the horse in his bedroom? 

Could I see it? 


Mother :

Yes, of course.


Richard Burton :

Thank you. 


Please, it's this way --

I do remember telling him 

one very odd thing :


Did you know that when 

the Christian Cavalry 

first appeared in 

The New World

The Pagans thought that 

Horse and Rider 

was one person? 


One person? 


Yes. 


Of course. 


Mother :

Actually, They thought 

it must be A God


In here, please. 

This is Alan's room. 


Richard Burton :

Remarkable.


Yes. 


Richard Burton :

Mrs. Strang, is there... 

anything else you can remember 

you told him about horses? 

Anything at all? 


Richard Burton :

Well, they're in The Bible of course.

 ''He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha!'' 


Richard Burton :

''Ha, ha''? 


The Book of Job

Such a noble passage. Do you know? 

''Hast Thou given The Horse strength?

Hast thou clothed his neck 

with Thunder? 


The Glory of his nostrils is Terrible. 

He saith among The Trumpets, 

Ha, ha!'' 


Richard Burton :

That's marvelous


Yes. There's Mr. Strang now. 


Frank, I’ve got 

The Doctor here. 

We'll come down. 


He's very upset. 

You understand, of course? 


This is Dr. Dysart, Dear. 


Mr. Strang. 


Richard Burton :

How Do You Do? 


I was just telling Dr. Dysart, Dear, 

how Alan always adored horses. 

In fact, we've always been 

a very horsy family. 

Well, my side of it has. 


My Uncle used to ride every morning 

on the Downs behind Brighton. 

All dressed up in a bowler hat and jodhpurs. 

He used to look splendid.

 ''Indulging in Equitation,'' he called it. 

I remember telling Alan how 

that word came from ''equus'.'

 

Richard Burton :

''Equus''? 


The Latin word for ''horse.'' 

Alan was absolutely fascinated 

by that word, I know. 

I suppose because he'd 

never come across one 

with Two U's Together before. 


My Dear, have you offered 

The Doctor a cup of tea? 



No, Dear, I haven't. 



You must be dying for one. 

Excuse me. 


My Wife has romantic ideas, 

if you receive My Meaning. 


About Her Family? 


She thinks she married 

beneath her. 

I dare say, she did. 

I don't understand 

these things myself. 


Would you say that she's closer 

to The Boy than you are? 


They've always been 

as thick as thieves. 

I can't say l entirely approve... 

especially when I hear her reading 

that Bible to him... night after night, 

up there in his room. 


You mean, she's religious? 


Some might say excessively so

Mind you, that's her business, but... 

when it comes to dosing 

it down The Boy's throat, 

He’s My Son as well as Her’s

Bloody religion. It’s our only problem 

in This House, but it's insuperable

I don't mind admitting it. 


You must excuse My Husband, Doctor.

 This one subject is something 

of an obsession with him. 

Isn’t it, Dear? 

You must admit. 



Call it what you like…

All that stuff, to me, 

is just Bad Sex. 



What has that got to do with Alan?


Everything, Dora. 


I don't understand. 

What are You Saying? 




Mr. Strang, exactly how informed 

would you judge your son 

to be, about sex? 


I don't know. 


You didn't actually instruct him yourself? 


Well, not in so many words, no. 


Did you, Mrs. Strang? 


Well, I spoke a little. 

Yes, I had to. 


Let me help you. 

What sort of things did you tell him? 

I’m sorry if this is embarrassing. 

I told him the biological facts. 

But I also told him What I Believe... 

that sex is not just a biological matter, but a spiritual one as well... that if God willedhe would 

fall in love one day. Sugar? 


Thank You. 


That his task was 

to prepare himself 

for the most important happening of his life. 

And after that, if he was lucky, 

he would come to know 

a higher love, still. 


There, now, Dora. it’s all right. 

Come on. 


You always laugh, as usual. 


No one is laughing, Dora. 

No comments:

Post a Comment