Wednesday 6 January 2021

ORCHIDS




“Hybrids! A Crime against Nature!”

[Tuvok's quarters]
(Tuvok is tending his orchids when the doorbell rings.)

TUVOK: 
Come in. Captain, this is unexpected.

JANEWAY: 
I've been in your quarters before.

TUVOK: 
Indeed, but so rarely that I can 
remember each instance. 
Vulcan spice tea, hot. 
And it was always at a time when 
you were particularly troubled.

JANEWAY: 
Right as usual. Thank you. 
Commander Chakotay has proposed that we make an alliance with one of the Kazon factions. 
We wouldn't give them weapons or technology, but we would pledge to support and defend them if they're attacked.

TUVOK: 
I am sure that made you uncomfortable.

JANEWAY: 
How can I consider it? 
I can't just walk away from the precepts Starfleet has laid our for us. 

You don't deal with Outlaws. 

You don't involve yourself in the political machinations of other cultures. 

It goes against everything I believe, everything I trained for, everything experience has taught me.

TUVOK: 
Quite right.

JANEWAY: 
Do I hear a ‘however’ coming?

TUVOK: 
You are perceptive, Captain. 

I believe Commander Chakotay's suggestion does have merit.

JANEWAY: 
Help me understand that.

TUVOK: 
When I was a Young Man, 
A Great Visionary named Spock recommended an alliance between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. 

This produced a major dispute. 
The Klingons, after all, were Outlaws, employing violence and brutality in order to build their Empire. 

I myself spoke out against such a coalition. 

But the alliance was forged and it brought a stability to the quadrant that had not been there for two hundred years. 

Spock's suggestion, so controversial at first, 
proved to be the cornerstone of peace.

JANEWAY: 
There are some differences here. 

By allying ourselves to one faction, we'd be giving that faction more power than the others. 

That would clearly affect the internal politics of all the Kazon.

TUVOK: 
I understand your concern, but remember, it would only be a temporary arrangement since we are on our way out of this quadrant. 

In the meantime, it might bring stability to the region and security for us.

JANEWAY: 
Once we're gone they'll probably go back to their in-fighting.

TUVOK: 
Perhaps. But even temporary stability can bring an appreciation for peace

This flower is a rare hybrid. 

As far as I know it exists nowhere else in the galaxy. 

I created it by grafting a cutting from a South American orchid onto a Vulcan favinit plant. 

I doubted the graft would take, 
and indeed the plant was sickly at first. 

However, after a few weeks both plants adapted to their new condition and in fact became stronger than either had been alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment