Sunday 17 January 2021

Humble Vessel









Glory's apartment. 
Ben comes down the stairs to the main room, wearing regular clothes, followed by a minion, Gronx. 
Gronx holds Glory's dress and speaks with a female voice 
(although she looks just like the others). 

GRONX: 
This is, this is terrible. I'll never be able to mend this. 

BEN: 
Not really my color anyway. 
(sits on the arm of a sofa) 

GRONX: 
Oh, yes. Inappropriate humor. 
(fake laugh) 
Most amusing. 
Don't suppose you know what led to this sartorial tragedy. 

BEN: 
That's not how it works, you know that. 

GRONX: 
Yes, of course. I just thought maybe after her magnificent incandescence was returned to this ... manly and ... 
(looking Ben up and down) painfully handsome assemblage ... you might have noticed something interesting? 
A key in Human Form, perhaps? 

Lounging about unattended? 

BEN: 
If I did, do you really think I would tell you? 

GRONX: 
Why do you insist on fighting the inevitable? 
No one can stand against her blindingly scrumptious luminescence. 

BEN: 
Glory. Her name is Glory, 
and she's your God, you little scab, not mine. 

GRONX: 
With all due respect and-and fear of sharp objects, you exist, sir, only because of her divine greatness. 

BEN: 
You mean her divine failure, don't you? 
Gronx squints angrily at him. Ben gets up to pace. 

BEN: 
I didn't ask for any of this. I just want to be normal. 

GRONX: 
We play the hand we're dealt. 

BEN: 
Nothing's mine, is it? This life, this body, it's all infected. 
The only thing I ever cared about she's taken away from me. 
You know why I wanted to be a doctor? 

GRONX: 
Flattering drawstring pants? 

BEN: 
To be close to people. 
To witness their lives and their deaths, to be there alongside them, a part of everyday humanity. 
(sighs) 
Maybe it's the drugs. 
(walks past) 

GRONX: 
Drugs, sir? (follows him) 

BEN: 
Find the right combination, keep her buried where she belongs. 

GRONX: 
Impossible!
 Her magnificence can never be fully contained! 
She is a perfect, all-encompassing light, one you should feel honored to be bathed in. 

BEN: 
Oh, yeah, I'm thrilled. 
Especially with the part where she gets her key back and I cease to exist. 

GRONX: 
True, this oh-so-appealing form will of necessity be shrugged off. 

BEN: 
Not if I get the key first. 

(turns to leave but Gronx stops him

GRONX: 
And if you did ... what then
Could you do it? 
(Ben looks annoyed
Take a human life with your own hands? 
(comfortingly

Oblivion is such a small inconvenience in the service of a deity. 
Accept Your Fate. 

I mean, you said it yourself — 
This life was never really yours anyway, was it? 

BEN: 
It doesn't matter how I came by it. 
It's mine. And I plan on keeping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment