Wednesday 22 January 2020

ENOUGH



“Through Max I met his mate Stan, a giant, charismatic and adorable man who I instinctively liken to Omar, one of the four Caliphs to succeed The Prophet. 

A bountiful and warm soul with a great strength, yet to be refined. 

I asked Stan: ‘Is there any way I have helped you that I might be able to use in a book about mentoring to illustrate how the principles work?’ 

He said: ‘Mate. The other day when that bloke knocked me for that money, you said that I should not look at the people of The World as resources there to serve me but at myself as someone who can help others. To accept that everything won’t go my way all the time and when I am disappointed to talk through those feelings before acting on them. 

In a situation like that in the past I would’ve acted differently, aggressively, and tried to solve the problem through intimidation, which would’ve led to complications because this bloke is part of That World. 

Instead I went round there and politely explained my side of the situation and offered to help find a mutually beneficial solution. 

This is because you have taught me that I am valuable and I do not need to resort to bad behaviour to get what I want, that I am enough and do not need money to prove that I am a Man. 

I no longer unthinkingly get into conflict with my wife because I am stressed about work-related things, without recognizing it. 

The other day she asked me to do the washing up BECAUSE I’d AGREED to and I just DID it. 

In the past there would’ve been an argument, especially if I was fearful around work. 

This is because you have shown me how to behave towards my wife and given me safe outlets for my feelings.’ 

Hearing this made me feel valuable and useful

The Gratitude of Others, is a good way to build self-esteem. 

If you Regularly Help Others, the tendency to think of yourself as worthless or not good enough diminishes.”

Excerpt From
Mentors
Russell Brand






“Joyce and Jung met a few times, and they didn’t like each other, by the way.  
Joyce thought Jung thought Joyce was a possible candidate for therapy, and Jung thought Joyce was a man on the edge of schizophrenia who remained on the safe side through his art: 
if he lost his art he’d go complete wack-o.  

Joyce did not wish to believe his daughter was schizophrenic.  
He told Jung, 
“I’m doing the same experiments with language that she is.”  

And Jung said, 
“The difference is you’re diving, 
and she’s sinking.” 













“ When we look at The World, we perceive only what is enough for our plans and actions to work and for us to get by. 

What we inhabit, then, is this “Enough.” 

That is a radical, functional, unconscious simplification of The World — and it’s •almost• impossible for us not to mistake it for The World itself. 

But the objects we see are not simply there, in The World, for our simple, direct perceiving.

They exist in a complex, multi-dimensional relationship to one another, not as self-evidently separate, bounded, independent objects. 

We perceive not them, but their functional utility and, in doing so, we make them sufficiently simple for sufficient understanding. 

It is for this reason that we must be precise in our aim. “

Absent that, we drown in the complexity of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment