Wednesday 22 January 2020

TREATMENT







The Guide for the first part of your Inward Journey is your Intellect, the Masculine Traits of Intelligence, Proportion and Good Sense.

The Lowest Level of Hell is the worst. It is FROZEN. 

To reach The Coldness of Life — Loneliness and Meaninglessness — is The worst experience a human being goes through, worse than the fiery aspects of Hell. Under the guidance of Virgil, Dante gets to the bottom of Hell and just keeps going. You don’t come out of Hell through the door you entered. You go through it and out the other side. On the other side of Hell lies Heaven.

Dante and Virgil are in the middle of the world, which is where the Devil lives. And Dante gets through that nodal point, the point of zero gravity at the center of the world, by shimmying down the hairy leg of the Devil, and finds himself in Purgatory. 

Hell lays out what’s Wrong — the hellish dimensions of life — and Purgatory begins The Repair, what you need in order to be restored. 

You need to be treated.


The verb ‘to treat’ comes from the Latin tractare “ to pull or drag.” 

The earliest therapists had a series of stones with increasingly smaller holes in them, and you were literally pulled through —the biggest one first, a smaller one next, until you couldn’t be pulled through any more. 

You came out of this experience minus a bit of skin, but you were treated. 

Dante is pulled through A hole from the center of the world and begins his ascent through Purgatory, its many levels and teachings.

At this point, Virgil approaches Dante and says, “I cannot take you any further. One Greater Than I will be your guide from here.” 

Dante is shaken, because he has depended entirely on Virgil. Virgil continues, 
“Beatrice will guide you from Here,” 
the same Beatrice who had opened the vision of Heaven for him on the Ponte Vecchio.

Excerpt from: 
"Inner Gold: Understanding Psychological Projection" 
by Arnie Kotler

[Hangar One]

COMMANDER: 
...Regula I, Tracy, USS Farragut... USS Enterprise, McGrath, USS ... Vader, USS Hood. 
Welcome to Starfleet, godspeed. 

KIRK: 
He didn't call my name. Commander! 
Sir, you didn't call my name. 
Kirk, James T.? 

COMMANDER: 
Kirk, you're on academic suspension. 
That means you're grounded, until the Academy board rules. 

MCCOY: 
Jim, the board'll rule in your favor. 
Most likely. Look, Jim, I got to go. 

KIRK: 
Yeah, get going. 
Be safe. 

OFFICER: 
Excuse me. 

KIRK: 
Yeah, yeah, sorry. 

MCCOY: 
....Dammit. Come with me. 


FEMALE ASSIGNER: 
...USS Neutral, 
Uhura, USS Farragut, 
Petroski, USS Antares. 
Go to your stations and good luck. 

(Gaila smiles wide past Uhura, who has a dour expression

KIRK: 
Bones, where are we going? 

MCCOY: 
You'll see. 

(they pass Uhura) 

[Medical Bay]

KIRK: 
What are you doing? 

MCCOY: 
I'm doing you a favor. 
I couldn't just leave you there looking all pathetic. 
Take a seat. I'm going to give you a vaccine against viral infection from Melvaran mud fleas. 

KIRK: 
Oww! What for? 

MCCOY: 
To give you the symptoms. 

KIRK: 
What are you talking about? 

MCCOY: 
You're going to start to lose vision in your left eye. 

KIRK: 
Yeah, I already have. 

MCCOY: 
Oh, and you're going to get a really bad headache and a flop sweat. 

KIRK: 
You call this a FAVOUR? 

MCCOY: 
Yeah, you owe me one.

[Hangar One]

MALE ASSIGNER: 
Kirk, James T. 
He's not cleared for duty aboard the Enterprise. 

MCCOY: 
Medical Code states the treatment and transport of a patient to be determined at the discretion of his attending physician, which is me. 

So, I'm taking Mister Kirk aboard. 

Or would you like to explain to Captain Pike why the Enterprise warped into a crisis without one of its senior medical officers? 


MALE ASSIGNER: 
As you were. 

KIRK: 
As you were. 

MCCOY: 
C'mon.

[Shuttlecraft Gilliam]

(as the shuttlecrafts head to their various ships, including the Enterprise) 

KIRK: 
I might throw up on you. 

MCCOY: 
Oh Jim, you got to look at this. 
Jim, look! 

KIRK: What? 

(they look out at Earth Spacedock and the massive Enterprise)

[Enterprise Shuttlebay]

MCCOY: 
We need to get you changed. 

KIRK: 
I don't feel right. 
I feel like I'm leaking. 

MCCOY:
Hell, it's that pointy-eared bastard. 

(Kirk and McCoy swerve to narrowly avoid being spotted by Spock. Spock enters a turbolift and arrives on the bridge)

[Sickbay]

KIRK: 
Where are we? 

MCCOY: 
Medical bay. 

KIRK: 
This is worth it. 

MCCOY: 
A little suffering's good for the soul. 

KIRK: (to a nurse) 
Hi, how are you. 

MCCOY: 
Over here. 

KIRK: 
My mouth is itchy, is that normal? 

MCCOY: 
Well, those symptoms won't last long. 
I'm going to give you a mild sedative. 

KIRK: 
Agh, I wish I didn't know you. 

MCCOY: 
Don't be such an infant. 

(he applies the sedative to Kirk) 

KIRK: 
Aggh... how long is it supposed to... 

(he falls unconscious) 

MCCOY: 
Unbelievable.

(Kirk awakes in front of the monitor) 


Kirk: 
Lightning storm! 

MCCOY: 
Uh, Jim, you're awake. 
How do you feel? 

KIRK: 
ah.. uh... 

MCCOY: 
Good god, man! 

KIRK: 
What? Ah! 

(His hands come into view, extremely swollen) 

KIRK: 
What the hell's this?! 

MCCOY: 
Reaction to the vaccine. 
Dammit! 
Nurse Chapel, I need fifty cc's of cortazone. 

CHAPEL: (offscreen) 
Yes, sir. 

(Kirk replays Chekov's message as McCoy scans Kirk) 

KIRK: 
Nice. We got to stop the ship!

[Corridor]

(Kirk and McCoy are frantically running through the corridors) 

MCCOY: 
Jim! I'm not kidding, we need to keep your heart rate down! 

KIRK: 
Computer, locate crew member Uhura! 

MCCOY: 
I haven't seen a reaction this severe since med school. 

KIRK: 
We're flying into a trap! 

MCCOY: 
Dammit Jim, stand still. 

(McCoy hypos Kirk in the neck) 

KIRK: 
Ow! Stop it! 

(Kirk runs and finds Uhura) 

KIRK: 
Uhura, Uhura. 

UHURA: 
Kirk, what are you doing here? 

KIRK: 
The transmission from the Klingon prison planet, what exactly was... 

UHURA: 
Oh my god, what's wrong with your hands?! 

(McCoy begins scanning Kirk again) 

KIRK:
It-it-it... look, who is responsible for the Klingon attack? 
Was the ship Romul... 

UHURA: 
Was the ship what? 

KIRK: (to McCoy) 
What's happening to my mouth? 

MCCOY: 
You got numb tongue? 

KIRK: (mumbled) 
Numb tongue! 

MCCOY: 
I can fix that! 

(McCoy briefly leaves) 

UHURA: 
Was the ship what? 

KIRK: (mumbled) Romulan! 

UHURA: What? 

KIRK: (mumbled, but clearer) Romulan 

UHURA:
Romulan? 

KIRK: (mumbled) 
Yeah 

UHURA: 
Yes. 

KIRK: (mumbled) 
Yes! 

(Kirk is hypoed again by McCoy) 

KIRK: (mumbled) 
Ahh... dammit! 

[Vulcan] 
(a massive drill platform is in the atmosphere, from the Narada. Amanda sees it from her home, just beyond the Vasquez Rocks)

[Narada Bridge]

AYEL: 
Lord Nero, seven Federation ships are on their way. 

[Enterprise Corridor] 
(Kirk, McCoy, and Uhura are now running through the corridors) 

MCCOY: 
Jim! 

UHURA: 
What's going on?! 

MCCOY: 
Jim, come back! 

UHURA: 
Kirk!

[Bridge]

KIRK: 
Captain! 

MCCOY: 
Jim, no! 

KIRK: 
Captain Pike, we have to stop the ship! 

PIKE:
Kirk, how the hell did you get on board the Enterprise! 

MCCOY: 
Captain, this man's under the influence of a severe reaction of a Melvaran flea vaccine, completely...
 
KIRK: 
Bones, Bones... 

MCCOY:
...delusional. 
I take full responsibility. 

KIRK: 
Vulcan is not experiencing a natural disaster. 
It's being attacked by Romulans.
 
PIKE: Romulans? Cadet Kirk, I think you've had enough attention for one day. McCoy take him back to medical, we'll have words later. 
MCCOY: Aye Captain. 
KIRK: Look, sir, that same anomaly... 
PIKE: Mister Kirk... 
SPOCK: Mister Kirk is not cleared to be aboard this vessel. 
KIRK: Look, I get it, you're a great orator. I'd love to do it again with you to. 
SPOCK: I can remove the Cadet... 
KIRK: Try it! This Cadet is trying to save the bridge. 
SPOCK: By recommending a full stop mid-warp during a rescue mission? 
KIRK: It's not a rescue mission, listen, it's an attack. 
SPOCK: Based on what facts? 
KIRK: That same anomaly, a lightning storm in space that we saw today, also occurred on the day of my birth. Before a Romulan ship attacked the USS Kelvin. (to Pike) You know that, sir, I read your dissertation. That ship which had formidable and advanced weaponry was never seen or heard from again. The Kelvin attack to place on the edge of Klingon space and at twenty-three hundred hours last night, there was an attack. Forty-seven Klingon warbirds destroyed by a Romulan, sir. It was reported that the Romulans were in one ship, one massive ship. 
PIKE: And you know of this Klingon attack how? 
UHURA: Sir, I intercepted and translated the message myself. Kirk's report is accurate. 
KIRK: We're warping into a trap, sir. The Romulans are waiting for us, I promise you that. 
SPOCK: The Cadet's logic is sound. And Lieutenant Uhura is unmatched in xenolinguistics, we would be wise to accept her conclusion. 
PIKE: Scan Vulcan space, check for any transmissions in Romulan. 
MALE LIEUTENANT: Sir, I'm not sure I can distinguish the Romulan language from Vulcan. 
PIKE: (to Uhura) What about you? Do you speak Romulan, Cadet? 
UHURA: Uhura. All three dialects, sir. 
PIKE: Uhura, relieve the lieutenant. 
UHURA: Yes sir. 
PIKE: Hannity, hail the USS Truman. 
HANNITY: All the other ships are out of warp, sir, and have arrived at Vulcan, but we seemed to have lost all contact. 
UHURA: Sir, I pick up no Romulan transmission, or transmission of any kind in the area. 
KIRK: It's because they're being attacked. 
PIKE: Shields up, red alert. 
SULU: Arrival in Vulcan in five seconds... four... three... two... 
(the arrive into a huge space battle) 
PIKE: Emergency evasive. 
OFFICER: Running sir. 
(bridge officers begin their reporting) 
PIKE: Damage report. 
OFFICER: Deflector shields are holding. 
PIKE: All stations. Engineer Olson, report. 
PIKE: Full reverse, come about starboard ninety degrees, drop us underneath and... 
(everyone is amazed at the massive Narada)



Tuvok and security arrive.)
NEELIX: 
Something's wrong with him. 

EMH:
Don't you know it's rude to refer to somebody in the third person. 
You had a choice, Mister Neelix. Should I do something rude or not do something rude? 
TUVOK: Doctor, we must return to Sickbay. 
EMH: Why should I? What if I don't want to return to Sickbay? What if I decide not to return to Sickbay? No, I don't choose this. Leave me alone! Let me go! Why did she have to die? Why did I kill her? Why did I decide to kill her? Why? Somebody tell me why!

[Computer control room]

JANEWAY: It was downhill from there. You developed a feedback loop between your ethical and cognitive subroutines. You were having the same thoughts over and over again. We couldn't stop it.     
TORRES: Our only option was to erase your memories of those events. 
EMH: You were right. I didn't deserve to keep those memories, not after what I did. 
JANEWAY: You were performing your duty. 
EMH: Two patients, which do I kill? 
JANEWAY: Doctor.     
EMH: Doctor? Hardly! A doctor retains his objectivity. I didn't do that, did I? Two patients, equal chances of survival and I chose the one I was closer to? I chose my friend? That's not in my programming! That's not what I was designed to do! Go ahead! Reprogramme me! I'll lend you a hand! Let's start with this very day, this hour, this second! 
JANEWAY: Computer, deactivate the EMH. 
TORRES: Here we go again. Captain? 
JANEWAY: It's as though there's a battle being fought inside him, between his original programming and what he's become. Our solution was to end that battle. What if we were wrong? 
TORRES: We've seen what happens to him. In fact, we've seen it twice. 
JANEWAY: Still, we allowed him to evolve, and at the first sign of trouble? We gave him a soul, B'Elanna. Do we have the right to take it away now? 
TORRES: We gave him personality subroutines. I'd hardly call that a soul.

[Cargo Bay two]

(Janeway brings Seven out of regeneration.)
SEVEN: Captain. 
JANEWAY: I'm having trouble with the nature of individuality. 
SEVEN: You require a philosophical discussion? 
JANEWAY: There's a time and a place for it. This is one of them. After I freed you from the Collective, you were transformed. It's been a difficult process. Was it worth it? 
SEVEN: I had no choice. 
JANEWAY; That's not what I asked you. 
SEVEN: If I could change what happened, erase what you did to me, would I? No.

Captain's log, supplemental. Our Doctor is now our patient. It's been two weeks since I've ordered a round the clock vigil. A crew member has stayed with him at all times, offering a sounding board and a familiar presence while he struggles to understand his memories and thoughts. The chance of recovery? Uncertain.

[Holodeck]

EMH: The more I think about it, the more I realise there's nothing I could've done differently. 
JANEWAY: What do you mean? 
EMH: The primordial atom burst, sending out its radiation, setting everything in motion. One particle collides with another, gases expand, planets contract, and before you know it we've got starships and holodecks and chicken soup. In fact, you can't help but have starships and holodecks and chicken soup, because it was all determined twenty billion years ago!  
(Tuvok enters during this outburst.)
TUVOK: There is a certain logic to your logic. Progress? 
JANEWAY: I'm not sure if he's making any sense of this experience, or if his programme's just running in circles. 
TUVOK: You've been here for sixteen hours. Let me continue while you rest. 
JANEWAY: I'll be all right. Go back to the bridge.  
(Tuvok leaves. Janeway returns to her book.)
EMH: How can you read at a time like this? 
JANEWAY: It helps me think. 
EMH: Think? What do you need to think about? 
JANEWAY: You. This book is relevant to your situation. 
EMH: Oh? What is it? 
JANEWAY: Poetry, written on Earth a thousand years ago. La Vita Nuova. 
EMH: La Vita Nuova. The New Life? Ha! Tell that to Ensign Jetal. Actually, I killed her countless times. 
JANEWAY: What do you mean? 
EMH: Causality, probability. For every action, there's an infinite number of reactions and in each one of them, I killed her. Or did I? Too many possibilities. Too many pathways for my programme to follow. Impossible to choose. Still, I can't live with the knowledge of what I've done. I can't. 
(Janeway has fallen asleep.)
EMH: Captain? Captain? 
JANEWAY: Oh, sorry. 
EMH: How could you sleep at a time like this? 
JANEWAY: It's been a long day. You were saying? 
EMH: What's wrong? 
JANEWAY: Nothing. 
EMH: You're ill! 
JANEWAY: I have a headache. 
EMH: Fever, you have a fever. 
JANEWAY: I'll live. 
EMH: Medical emergency! 
JANEWAY: Doctor. 
EMH: Someone's got to treat you immediately. Call Mister Paris. You've got to get to Sickbay. 
JANEWAY: Doctor, I'm a little busy right now, helping a friend. 
EMH: I, I'll be all right. Go, sleep, please. I'll still be here in the morning. 
JANEWAY: Are you sure? 
EMH: Yes. Please, I don't want to be responsible for any more suffering. 
(Janeway leave her book open at the first page.)
JANEWAY: Good night. If you need anything. 
EMH: I'll call. Thank you, Captain. (Janeway leaves. The EMH picks up the book and reads aloud.)
EMH: In that book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter that is the day when I first met you, appear the words - Here begins a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment