Saturday, 18 September 2021

How Do You Feel?










[Spock's Test Chamber]
SPOCK: 
Computer. Resume testing. 

...T'plana-Hath, matron of Vulcan philosophy

TEST COMPUTER VOICE: 
What is the molecular formula of aluminum sulfide crystal?

TEST COMPUTER VOICE: 
...White Queen to section five, grid six. 
Queen takes Knight. Rook takes Queen. White pawn to section five, grid seven, pawn takes rook. 
Checkmate.

TEST COMPUTER VOICE: 
...Correct. What significant contribution to bioengineering was made on the Loonkerian outpost on Klendth?

SPOCK:
 The universal atmospheric element compensator.

TEST COMPUTER VOICE: 
Evaluate and conclude : A starship's sensors indicate it is being pursued so closely that it occupies the same space as its pursuer.

TEST COMPUTER VOICE: 
...Correct. Identify object and it's cultural significance.
SPOCK: Klingon mummification glyph.
TEST COMPUTER VOICE: What was the principle historical event on the planet Earth in the year nineteen eighty-seven?
TEST COMPUTER VOICE: 
...Correct. 
What is Kiri-kin-tha's first law of metaphysics?


SPOCK: 
Nothing Unreal Exists.

TEST COMPUTER VOICE: 
...Correct. 
Adjust the sine wave of this magnetic envelope so that anti-neutrons can pass through it but anti-gravitons cannot.

TEST COMPUTER VOICE: ...Correct. 
What is the electronic configuration of gadolinium?

TEST COMPUTER VOICE: 
...Correct. 

How do you feel? 

How do you feel?

SPOCK: 
I do not understand The Question.

AMANDA: 

What is it, Spock?

SPOCK: 
I do not understand The Question, Mother.

AMANDA: 
You're half human — 
The Computer knows that.

SPOCK: 
The Question is irrelevant.

AMANDA: 
Spock — The retraining of Your Mind has been in The Vulcan Way, 
so you may not understand feelings. 

But as My Son, you have them. 
They will surface.

SPOCK: 
As you wish, since you deem them of value. 
But I cannot wait here to find them.

AMANDA: 
Where must you go?

SPOCK: 
I must go to Earth. 
To offer Testimony.

AMANDA: 
You do this...
for Friendship?

SPOCK: 
I do it because I was there.

AMANDA: 
Spock — Does The Good of The Many 
outweigh The Good of The One?

SPOCK: 
I would accept that as an axiom.

AMANDA: 
Then you stand here alive because of a mistake ...made by your flawed, feeling, human friends. 

They have sacrificed their futures because they believed 
that the good of The One —
You, Spock
was more important to them.

SPOCK: 
Humans make illogical decisions.

AMANDA: 
They do, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment