Sunday 9 May 2021

So You Acted Out of Conscience and Were Punished for It







See? 
The Goose is Free.











Mister Worf, 
I want you to think about the civilians 
who died on that transport ship 
and answer one question : 

Under the same set of circumstances, 
would you do it again

WORF: 
Yes, sir. 
If I had hesitated, 
I would have been negligent. 

I would have been risking my ship
my crew and the entire convoy




A True Klingon Rejoices at the death of their enemies.



CH'POK: 
Worf, why are you considered an outcast among Klingons?

WORF: 
I sided with the Federation during the invasion of Cardassia. 
For that, Chancellor Gowron stripped me of my name and my family honour [AGAIN.]. 

CH'POK: 
So, you acted out of conscience and you were punished for it. 
How do you feel about that? 
Angry? Bitter?

WORF: 
I am angry about the treatment I have received. 
I felt it was unjust.

CH'POK: 
Of course you are. Who wouldn't be? 

What happened affected your entire family. 
The House of Mogh was brought down. 

Your Brother was ejected from the High Council in disgrace, 
your lands seized, and now your son Alexander 
has to bear the stigma of being 
The Son of a Traitor. 

Did I miss anything?

WORF: 
No. 

CH'POK: 
In your opinion, 
What do they think of you in The Empire, Worf? 

WORF: 
I am hated. 

CH'POK: 
Why? Because of what you did? 

WORF: 
Yes.

CH'POK: 
Are you sure it's not something more basic? 

WORF: 
What is that supposed to mean? 

CH'POK: 
Isn't it obvious? 
You were raised by humans, on Earth. 

And now you wear their uniform. 

Haven't you really always been 
A Traitor in Your Heart? 

WORF: 
No. 

CH'POK: 
Are you telling us that you live with humans 
but your heart is Klingon? 

WORF: 
Yes.

CH'POK: 
But if your heart is Klingon, 
how could you fire upon your own people?

WORF: 
They fired the first shot
And when that happened
They became My Enemies.

CH'POK: 
Then why aren't you glad you destroyed that transport? 
It was filled with your enemies and their children. 

WORF: 
There is nothing honourable about killing 
those who cannot defend themselves. 

CH'POK: 
Are you telling me that you would never attack 
a defenceless opponent? 

WORF: 
No, I would not. 

CH'POK: 
Maybe I've been wrong about you. 
Maybe you aren't really Klingon in your heart. 

A True Klingon rejoices at the death of his enemies. 
Old, young, armed, unarmed. 

All that matters is the victory. 

Tell me, Worf, 
Did you weep for those children? 

[ Well, as you know damn well, he doesn't have any tear-ducts and neither do you, so obviously not. ]


WORF: 
I grieve for them.

CH'POK: 
Grieve for them? A Klingon doesn't grieve

They died in a glorious battle! 
They are with the honoured dead in Sto-Vo-Kor! 

They do not want your grief! 
You dishonour their memories! 

SISKO: 
Objection! 

T'LARA: 
Advocate. 

WORF: 
You will say anything. 
You have no honour! 

CH'POK: 
I say this : 

You live with humans 
because you're afraid to live with Klingons. 

WORF: 
I fear nothing

And if you would like to pick up a bat'leth 
and face me with weapons instead of words, 
I will prove it to you. 

CH'POK: 
You'd like that, wouldn't you, Worf? 
You'd love to prove that you are as 
strong and courageous 
as any Klingon warrior.

WORF: 
I am a Klingon warrior.

T'LARA: 
Advocate, you are stepping well beyond the bounds of protocol. 

CH'POK: 
And that is why you told The Ferengi 
you hoped the Klingons do come for you. 
You wanted to prove yourself in the eyes of the only people that matter to you : 

Other Klingons. 

T'LARA: 
This will stop or I will hold both of you in contempt. 

CH'POK: 
I apologise, Worf. 

Actually, I pity you. 

But the person I pity most is Alexander. 
Because one day he will come to you and ask, 
"Father, who am I?"

And you will have to tell him 
That he is the son of a small, frightened man 
who destroyed a ship full of children 
just to prove his own courage. 

(Worf hits Ch'Pok several times, knocking him down.)

SISKO: 
Worf, no!

CH'POK: 
I thought you said 
You'd never attack an unarmed man. 

Perhaps you should have said, 
"Not unless I get angry, 
Not unless I have Something to Prove." 

I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment