Monday 10 May 2021

You're Chickenshit -- You're Gonna Use What Happened as An Excuse to Give Up




Lt. Col. Matthew Andrew Markinson: 
[voice over, as we see Markinson putting on his full class A dress uniform. It is his suicide note] 

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Santiago, 

I was William's executive officer. 
I knew your son vaguely, which is to say I knew his name. 

In a matter of time, the trial of the two men charged with your son's death will be concluded, and seven men and two women whom you've never met will try to offer you an explanation as to why William is dead. 

For my part, I've done as much as I can to bring The Truth to Light. 

And The Truth is This: 
Your Son is dead for only one reason

I wasn't strong enough to stop it

Always, 
Lieutenant Colonel Matthew Andrew Markinson, 
United States Marine Corps.


[puts pistol in his mouth, we hear a gunshot as the scene changes back to the courtroom] 





Willow:  

Buffy'll be okay. 

Whatever's down there, 

I think she can handle it.


Xander:  

Yeah, I do, too.


Willow:  

So do I!








Cut to inside the mausoleum. 

Buffy comes in slowly, looking and listening. 

She scans around. Satisfied that no one's there, she walks down the steps to the floor.

She hears a rat behind her and twists to look toward the sound. 

She continues and finds the tunnel access. 

It's locked with a chain. 

She lifts the lock. 

Angel appears behind her.


Angel:  

(exhales)


Buffy:  

I don't suppose you've got a key on you?


Angel:  

They really don't like me dropping in.


Buffy:  

(faces him) 

Why not?


Angel :

They really don't like me.


Buffy:  

How could that possibly be?


Angel:  

I knew you'd figure out this entryway sooner or later.

 Actually, I thought it was gonna be a *little* sooner.


Buffy:  

Sorry you had to wait. 

(exhales) Okay. 

Look, if you're gonna be popping up with this Cryptic Wise Man act on a regular basis, 

can you at least tell me your name?


Angel:  

Angel.


Buffy:  

Angel. 

It's a pretty name.


She turns to the tunnel entrance.


Angel:  

Don't... go down there.


Buffy:  (turns back) Deal with my going.


Angel:  

You shouldn't be putting yourself at risk. 

Tonight is The Harvest. 

Unless you can prevent it, the Master walks.


Buffy:  

Well, if this Harvest thing is such a suckfest, 

why don't you * stop it?


Angel:  

'Cause I'm afraid.


She looks at him for a moment and then spins around quickly, kicking open the doors to the tunnel. 

She turns back to him.


Angel:  

They'll be expecting you.


Buffy:  

I've got A Friend down there. 

Or at least a potential friend. 


Do you know what it's like to have a friend?


He lowers his eyes as a look of sadness fills them.


Buffy:

That wasn't supposed to be a stumper.


They look at each other a moment longer.


Angel:  

When you hit the tunnels head east towards the school. 

That's where you're likely to find them.


Buffy:

You gonna wish me luck?


Angel says nothing. 


They look at each other for another moment, 

then Buffy turns and heads into the tunnels. 


He watches her go.


Angel:

(whispers) 

Good Luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment