Monday 21 January 2019

Open Hearts




(Coins clinking) 
(Milo laughs) 

Milo: 
Just like my ex-wife, digging for every nickel before I can even get there. 

(item clinks in machine) 

You mind? 

Gemma: 
No. 

(Milo sighs) 

Milo: 
Get any sleep? 

Gemma: 
Little. 

Milo: 
Milo. 

Gemma:
Rose. Milo... like the dog. 


Milo: 
Actually, Milo was the cat. 
Otis was the dog. 

Gemma: 
Guess you must have kids. 

Milo: 
Yup, four, last time I counted. You? 

Gemma: 
No. Just me. 

Milo: 
Ah. Solo kind of gal. 

Gemma: 
Yeah, something like that. 
Where you headed? 

Milo: 
Haul produce. 
Uh, Pendleton to Alameda County. 
I'm heading up north now to pick up some tomatoes. 

Gemma: 
You take 97? 

Milo: 
Sometimes, depending on the traffic. 

Gemma: 
Think you can give me a lift? 

Milo: 
What about your car? 

Gemma: 
I just borrowed that. Needed to take a nap. 
(sighs) 

Milo: 
Look, I'm not looking for a roadside hummer, sweetheart. 

Gemma: 
Yeah, well, that's good, 'cause I ain't offering one. How'd we get from kids to cocksucking that quickly? 

Milo (laughing): 
May... Maybe I've just been on the road too long. 

Gemma: 
Yeah, me, too. Me, too, Milo. 

Milo: 
So, uh, what's up north? 

Gemma: 
My dad. 
Just south of Klamath Falls. 

Milo: 
Oh, so, you're not alone? 

Gemma: 
Advanced Alzheimer's. 
Might as well be talking to the coat rack. 

Milo: 
Sorry. 

Gemma: 
It's okay. 
I’ll know I was there. 

Milo: 
Not that I've been staring at your rack, 
but, uh, open heart? 

Gemma: 
Oh. Yeah. 

Milo: 
I had a valve replaced myself. 

Gemma: 
Hmm. Now, you see, Milo, two broken hearts on the road to tomatoes. 
(Milo laughs) 
That country song writes itself. 

(Milo chuckles) 

Milo: 
Well, as long as that country song isn't about a crazy cougar hijacking a truck at gunpoint, I'll give you that ride. 

Gemma: 
I'm a good Christian girl. 
Just need to go home, see my daddy. 

Milo: 
Yeah. Okay, Saint Rose. 
Let's go. You got any bags? 

Gemma: 
Not anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment