Wednesday 11 January 2023

Lynn


partridge (n.)
"type of four-toed Eurasian bird," c. 1300, partrich (late 12c. as a surname, Ailwardus Pertiz), from Old French pertis, alteration of perdis (perhaps influenced by fem. suffix -tris), from Latin perdicem (nominative perdix) "plover, lapwing," from Greek perdix, the Greek partridge, a name probably related to perdesthai "to break wind," in reference to the whirring noise of the bird's wings, from PIE imitative base *perd- "to break wind" (source also of Sanskrit pardate "breaks wind," Lithuanian perdžiu, persti, Russian perdet, Old High German ferzan, Old Norse freta, Middle English farten).




EXT. RADIO STATION/POLICE CORDON – DAY 3 

Lynn tries to walk past the media. 

JOURNALIST 
Lynn? Lynn Benfield, can we have a word? 

LYNN 
Alan doesn’t like me speaking to The Press. 

JOURNALIST 
But we’re not Press, 
We’re Television. 

LYNN 
Well, I’m not really … 

She touches her hair. 

JOURNALIST 
We’ve got hair and make-up. 

Beat. 

LYNN 
Oh. 

INT. RADIO STATION – HOSTAGE ROOM – DAY 3 
Alan is in the hostage room. 
There’s a swagger about him, largely because 
he’s currently on the TV. 

BBC NEWSCASTER 
Back now to Norwich, where DJ Alan Partridge 
continues to bring news … 

ALAN (Playfully
Angela? Someone wants a word with you. 

ANGELA Who? 

ALAN 
Him. 

He nods towards the TV, 
but by the time Angela looks round, 
he’s no longer on-screen. 
It’s Kim Jong-un. 

ANGELA 
Why? 

He looks up. 

ALAN 
Oh, shit. 

Alan flicks through dozens and dozens of channels at high speed. The camera stays on his face and his expression goes from contentment to confusion to irritation to mounting concern. Eventually, he finds a channel where he’s on. 

ALAN (CONT’D) 
Him! Look — me, on the TV. Good photo. 

INT. RADIO STATION – DISABLED TOILET – DAY 3 
Alan leads Angela into a disabled toilet, trying to act breezy. 

ALAN 
Yeah, it’s just your basic disabled loo. 
You’ve got your lowered seat pan, back pad, 
hi-vis grab bar, panic cord, lady bin … 

ANGELA 
Alan, calm down, you’re being all hectic. 
This is because you’re on TV, isn’t it? 
You’re all puffed up like a robin. 

ALAN 
It’s like you can see in me … 

ANGELA 
Alan, you didn’t bring me in here to 
talk about disabled toilet facilities, did you? 

ALAN 
Yeah, I did. (Beat) 
No, I didn’t. 

EXT. RADIO STATION – DAY 3 
Lynn emerges from a make-up trailer. 

JOURNALIST 
Oh, wow. Lynn, you look fantastic. 

The journalist hands Lynn a mirror. 
She looks at herself and seems surprised. 
She has volumised hair and colour in her cheeks. 

LYNN 
Good gracious. 

INT. RADIO STATION – DISABLED TOILETS – DAY 3
 Angela and Alan are standing very close to each other. 

ALAN 
You know, I have this mad dream 
where the two of us have a day out 
in the Scottish Highlands. 
And we’re standing on this craggy rock — 
well, more of a rocky crag — 
just staring out majestically 
and roaring into the abyss. 

ANGELA 
Just shouting, ‘Scotland!’ 

ALAN 
Yeah. Or I prefer, ‘The UK!’ 

ANGELA 
And what else did we do? 

ALAN 
We laid on the grass, looking up at the sky, 
pretending to be Scottish people 
and laughing our heads off. 

ANGELA 
We ‘lay’ on the grass. 

ALAN 
No, I was using the past tense. 
Laid on the grass. 

ANGELA 
I know, but ‘lay’ is the intransitive past tense of ‘lie’. 

This sinks in. 

ALAN 
Oh, yeah. Where are you from? The … 

ANGELA 
Ipsw— 

ALAN 
Wait …! The Planet Knockout? 

ANGELA 
Ipswich. 

She moves closer. 
She’s clearly about to kiss him. 
There’s a whistle from his nose. 

ALAN 
I’m sorry about the nasal whistle. 
It’s when I’m anxious.

It whistles again but she puts a finger 
on his nostril to silence it. 
And with her finger still there, she kisses him noisily.
Eventually, he breaks away to speak. 

ALAN (CONT’D) 
Mm. You know ‘Shape — the way you want it to be’?

 ANGELA 
Yes. 

ALAN 
Well, your shape’s the way I want it to be. 
I’m on about your body

She looks down at his groin. 

ANGELA 
And what might this be? 

ALAN 
That is my damn todger, and it’s 
all the fault of a certain Miss Angela … 
I’m sorry, I don’t know your second name. 

INT. RADIO STATION – HOSTAGE ROOM – DAY 3 

Jason is watching the TV in the hostage room 
as Lynn gives an interview to camera. 

LYNN 
He’s very brave. He was once feeding ducks in the park. 
One took a peck at him, and instead of retreating 
he hit it with the back of his hand. 
He just rapped its bill. 

Jason looks through, sees Alan in the studio 
and beckons him in. 

JASON 
Hi! 

ALAN 
Hey! 

JASON 
Got time for a quick waah-waah? Alan looks at him blankly. 

JASON (CONT’D) 
A quick waah-waah? 

ALAN Oh, you mean ‘wa-wa’? 

JASON 
Yes. 

ALAN 
Sorry. You just did a different noise. 

JASON 
Look, how are you feeling about this, 
this whole media circus? 
How are you feeling? 

ALAN 
Between you and me, 
pretty puffed up, like … an owl. 

JASON 
Well, let’s hope you’re a wise one. 

ALAN 
Nice. I pitched it up, 
you knocked it out of the park. (Interlocking his fingers
Synergy. Oh, no, that’s lesbians. 

JASON 
Let me tell you something, Alan. 
As far as the press is concerned, 
you are the face of this siege. 

ALAN 
I am Siege Face. 

JASON 
Exactly. After this, you’ll get more offers 
than a whore at our Christmas party! 

ALAN 
(Laughing bawdily) I like that! 

JASON 
Yes, you’d know a thing or two about that, wouldn’t you? 

ALAN 
That would be … (Twirls imaginary moustache
That’s a moustache. 

JASON 
Seriously, did you give her one? 

ALAN 
Well, I gave her a ruddy big kiss she won’t forget in a hurry.
Hand on the outside of the bra — reconnaissance — 
and then I just held her in my arms, because 
she told me she never knew her mother. 
And I said, ‘Well, my mother raised me 
and lived to a ripe old age, but — guess what? — 
I never really knew her, and …’ 
(Composing himself) To get back on track, yes. Woo! 


JASON 
I like you. 

ALAN (Instantly
I like you

INT. RADIO STATION – CORRIDOR – DAY 3 
Alan is talking to Lynn on the phone 
as he strides down the corridor. 

Intercut with Lynn at home. 

ALAN 
He likes me, Lynn. 
Jason Tresswell likes me.

LYNN 
Alan, are you okay? 

ALAN 
I’ve got to be quick. 
Pat only thinks I’ve borrowed his phone 
to play Angry Birds on the toilet. 

LYNN 
Of course. What is it? 

ALAN 
It’s a computerised bird-throwing game. 

LYNN 
No, I meant … 

ALAN 
I’m joking, Lynn! Enjoy me. Everyone else is. 
Gordale Media think I’m some sort of Christ 2.0. 
Do you know, I’m within a brair’s headth 
of getting the breakfast show? 

I’m going to call myself 
the morning rooster, 
or the talking cock. 

LYNN 
Alan, you’re not thinking clearly. 

ALAN 
Yes, I am. Lynn, I’ll say this once and I’ll say it again. 
My career is getting a shot in the arm from this siege, 
and if I can stay in here until the bitter end, 
I will be the biggest thing to come out of Norwich 
since Lord Nelson, or Trisha. 
Think about that, Lynn. 
Think about what that means

LYNN 
Your first priority should be 
the welfare of the hostages

ALAN 
That’s good. Put that out 
as a press release 
and say I said it.

LYNN 
Alan, Your Ego’s getting The Better of you. 

ALAN 
I’ve just got to stay alert and focused. 
I’m playing them like an oboe, Lynn. 
How effed up is that

As Alan says this he pushes through a door. 
It closes behind him. 

EXT. RADIO STATION – REAR – DAY 3 
It takes a second to sink in, then he looks at the door. 
It was a fire exit at the back of the building. He’s outside
He pulls at the door, trying to get back in. It won’t open. 

ALAN 
Oh

Looking around, Alan sees a ground-floor 
bathroom window slightly ajar. 
He climbs over the fire-escape railings 
so he can approach it from above 
and opens the window 
to slide his legs in first. 
He gets his balance wrong, though, 
and ends up jammed in the small opening like a stuck pig. 
Legs inside, body outside, hinging at the waist. 
His belt is caught on the window latch. 

ALAN (CONT’D) 
Not now! Oh, for God’s sake. I’m caught on the latch. 

He accepts that he needs to gets his legs out 
and try again, so he lets his body fall. 
His legs follow, and his trousers 
and underpants start to come off. 

ALAN (CONT’D) 
Come on, please! 
Eventually, his trousers and underpants are off completely. 
He gets up from the floor and reaches for his trousers. 

ARMED POLICEMAN 
Stop! Armed police. Get your hands above your head. 

Alan turns to see an armed officer pointing a gun at him. 
He covers his genitals with one hand 
and tries to grab his trousers with the other. 

ALAN 
I can’t … I’ve just … 

ARMED POLICEMAN 
Get your hands above your head! 

ALAN 
I just want to get those trousers. 

ARMED POLICEMAN 
Do it! Get your hands above your head. Do it! 

ALAN 
They’re my trousers. 

ARMED POLICEMAN 
Get your hands above your head, now. 

Alan hesitates and then puts them up. 
He’s tucked his penis between his legs. 

ARMED POLICEMAN (CONT’D) 
What are you doing? It’s weird

ALAN 
There are paparazzi all over the place 
and I do not want them to get 
a photograph of my genitals. 

At that moment, a photographer emerges 
out of nowhere and snaps him from behind. 

ALAN (CONT’D) 
Ah, come on! He turns to glare at the guy. 

PHOTOGRAPHER 
That’s it! Look at me. 

Eventually, the photographer finishes 
snapping him and walks off. 

INT. SCHOOL/POLICE INCIDENT ROOM – DAY 3 
Alan wears paper forensic trousers. 
He is being debriefed by Janet and Martin. 

MARTIN 
And how were the hostages when you left? 

ALAN 
Crouched, brave, big. 

MARTIN 
I mean, what’s their state of mind? 

ALAN 
If I’m honest, a bit moany. 
Is someone writing this down? 

An officer in the corner raises his hand. 

ALAN (CONT’D) 
Oh, sorry. I thought you were some clothes. 
Thanks for the forensic trousers, by the way. 

MARTIN 
Could you just …? 

He signals for him to sit with his legs closed. 

ALAN 
Oh, crikey! Yes, sorry. I was going to fashion 
a sort of makeshift modesty sporran 
from the vacant arm flaps. 

He crams the arm flaps under his buttocks 
to block the view, then looks up. 

JANET 
Okay, I think we’re done here. 

ALAN 
Any chance of freshening up? 
I just need to wipe my face with a big hot towel, 
and presumably you want to use me 
as part of your media strat? 

JANET No. 

ALAN 
Do you agree? 

MARTIN 
Hundred per cent. 

ALAN 
Got you. 

He marches out confidently, to save face. 

INT. ALAN’S LOUNGE – NIGHT 3 
Alan’s sat watching TV, looking despondent. 
On-screen is the rolling news of the siege. Lynn is with him

LYNN 
The Police said you could do media interviews 
when the siege is over. 

He stands up and walks across the room. 


ALAN 
It’ll be too late then, Lynn. 
People move on. 
Gordale Media’ll move on. 

LYNN 
But you’re still being talked about. 

ALAN 
Only because every time I look at the telly 
they’re showing a picture of my arse. 

Behind Alan, on TV, Lynn’s face is on-screen. 
Whenever Alan mentions his backside, 
Lynn appears. And vice versa. 

ALAN (CONT’D) 
It’s all right for you. Every other time I look 
they’re showing a picture of your face
and then the next time — 
surprise, surprise 
— my arse again. 

LYNN 
I mean, I was only telling people about you. 

ALAN 
You know, I was Gordale’s golden goose 
and now I’m just partridge pie … with peas. 

LYNN 
But why do you want to work for 
people like that? 
Gordale are bullies. 

ALAN 
Yes, and what do you do with a bully, then? 
You make friends with the bully 
so they bully someone else. 

LYNN 
What doth it profit a man …’ 

ALAN 
Doth? 

LYNN 
… if he gains the whole world yet loses his soul?’ 
Matthew, chapter eight … 

ALAN 
Yes, I know who wrote it. 
I’m not going to sell my soul, Lynn. 
I want to, if you like, lend my soul to Gordale Media 
on a long-term basis for cash. It’s a very different thing. 
It, it, it … 

Unable to think of a point to make, he just stares her out. 

LYNN 
I don’t know how you can look yourself in the eye. 


ALAN 
I can’t, Lynn. My nose is in the way. 
And you can talk, prattling away 
on every news bulletin. 
I mean, Who The Heck 
Do You Think You Are? 

LYNN (Defiantly
I’m Lynn Benfield. 

ALAN 
You don’t look like Lynn Benfield. 
I mean, what has happened to you? 
With your attitude and your hair
you’ve literally become a big head. 

LYNN 
I like it. 

ALAN 
I take no pleasure in saying this, Lynn, 
but a lot of people think it looks like 
a photograph of an explosion. 

LYNN 
I don’t know if I want to 
work for a man like you. 

ALAN 
I don’t know that I want to employ 
someone who looks like a madam. 

And I don’t mean a Parisian one, 
I mean one who lives in a terraced 
house behind a train station. 

Lynn’s had enough. She storms off, 
leaving Alan alone with his nasal whistle. 















No comments:

Post a Comment